| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grocery Spending Issues
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

So true, SV! I don't think coupons are really a "thing" in Canada the way they are in the US. I've never seen a coupon for produce which is also what I primarily buy, and the brands in Canada for things like tofu don't really offer coupons. At least not that I've ever come across...certainly not enough to care about couponing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jdfunks wrote:
As for coupons, what are you guys buying with them?

i'm particularly proud of the time i got 7 pints of so delicious ice cream for a buck each because the grocery store had them on clearance, and i had a load of coupons. (sad that the store wasn't selling them quickly enough, but they were actually regularly $7 each. nobody would buy it at that price.)

usually i get almond breeze with coupons. for a while there, they were on sale for 2/$5 and there were .55/1 coupons which would double, so i'd get a gallon for less than $3. not too shabby.

usually the muir glen coupon at coupons.com is .75/1 and so i'll bring that to a store that fully doubles and get the small diced tomatoes or tomato paste. it usually makes the paste free or nearly free, and the diced tomatoes .50 or so.

i don't live near a wholefoods that stacks (using both a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon on one item), so i'm super jealous of that. healthy life deals does wholefoods matchups if you want to see some examples.
http://www.healthylifedeals.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:55 am 
Huffs Nooch

Where do you all even find coupons for places like Whole Foods? I only ever get coupons for my local grocery and for Target, and they are almost never for things I actually need.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

well, wholefoods store coupons are available on their website and at the entrances or customer service counters, and the manufacturers coupons are spread by word of mouth. (or i guess word of fingers, since they're on blogs)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:33 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I think mint.com has been my biggest saving grace. When I'm aware of my budget, I am very judicious in how I spend.

Another thing I have been doing is ordering several weeks worth of food on Fresh Direct (food delivery service) which brings food to you after you order online. I can look through websites and cookbooks and plan my meals all at once, instead of going to the store and overbuying what I already have, forgetting things, etc. I am trying to completely use my 95.00 worth of groceries from Fresh Direct (bought May 2) and only purchase fresh fruits, veggies, almond milk and coffee. It's a great way to see how fast you go through food- already I'm out of 2 boxes of cereal, a creamer and an entire jar of peanut butter! In 9 days! That's nuts, none of those things are even totally necessary.

If you have a way to order food online, I really recommend it. It's great to have a nicely stocked cupboard to work with and for me the prices were not more expensive/better than my store, although there are no real store brands. I used to be part of a fruit/veg delivery service in college that was a lot cheaper than the stores and straight from the farms, that is another thing to look in to as well.

Do you use canned beans? I bought a bag of chickpeas for about 1.20 from fresh direct and was amazed at how many beans I got from them- maybe 6 cups. I made cutlets, hummus and still have some in the freezer. I have also been buying less tofu and avoiding all prepared vegan foods- there are cheaper ways to get protein, and I always seem to be able to eat an entire box of tofu by myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

when you freeze beans, do you cook the beans thoroughly the first time through or maybe 80%, and let them finish cooking in your meal? do you store them in a lot of liquid, just enough to cover or none?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

jdfunks wrote:
As for coupons, what are you guys buying with them?

Lots of stuff that I was already using prior to clipping coupons. I've found coupons for Boca burgers, pasta sauce, almond/soy/rice milk, canned tomatoes (Muir Glen has them pretty often), canned beans, olive oil, soy sauce, Earth Balance, dried fruit and nuts, and sometimes for fresh veggies. Earthbound Farms had a coupon recently, for example, and that's a brand you can find in many supermarkets for carrots, salad etc. You'll also see coupons for bagged salad/greens pretty often. Sometimes buying a "brand name" soy milk or whatever is cheaper than store brand with a coupon, sometimes it isn't. Also coupons are awesome when a store has a sale- let's say for example your store has a sale on Muir Glen tomatoes for $1.25 can, AND you have a $0.50 off coupon- then those tomatoes become pretty cheap. Oh! And if you use Earth Balance, write to the company and ask for coupons, because they will send you some!

beanspark wrote:
Where do you all even find coupons for places like Whole Foods? I only ever get coupons for my local grocery and for Target, and they are almost never for things I actually need.

Whole Foods has printables on their website, plus if you look near the entrance when you go into the store you should see a booklet called "The Whole Deal" or something like that. It's filled with store coupons. Obviously you're not going to use all of them, but it's pretty typical to see coupons for things like soy milk, Earth Balance, tamari etc. The other awesome thing about the Whole Foods coupon book is that some of them are for 365, their store brand. I got a pretty sweet deal on 365 vegan chocolate chips around Christmastime because they had a coupon for them that month.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Whoa, awesome. I'll keep an eye out for these now. My school is one block from a massive Whole Foods too. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Limone wrote:
I got a pretty sweet deal on 365 vegan chocolate chips around Christmastime because they had a coupon for them that month.

yes! $2/1 i got like 8 bags of chocolate chips (even though they're not really all that great as an out-of-hand snack. they're fine when they're baked and the sugar crystals melt.) i was wondering if that coupon was a typo or not. either way, it was awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Here`s a list I wrote up quite a while ago on my food blog on spending less on groceries but still eating well. I hope it helps! Feedback would be appreciated - I`m planning on making a few food-related zines and want to make one on purchasing good food for cheap.

-Make your own food. While some convenience foods might seem cheaper, they’re less nutritious and much worse for your health than real wholesome foods, and a lot of it is actually quite expensive. There are many meals you can cook that are healthy, easy, quick and simple, delicious, and cheap. If you’re not accustomed to the kitchen, just do some research, read some books and learn the basics. Cooking your own food is the best thing you can do.-Take the time to observe your options. Most people live in big cities, and even those who live in towns can usually find more than one grocery store or place to purchase their food. Take a notepad and pen with you to these different locations and write down the prices of foods you usually purchase. If you notice quite the price margin (sometimes you can find huge differences) choose to shop at the cheaper place. If he grocery stores each have something to offer and if they’re easy and affordable to get to, go to both (or all) and get the specific items you want by planning ahead what you need to get where.

-Have a look out for special sales on fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean meats at the grocery stores. Try to purchase when the fruits and veggies are in season, that’s when they’ll usually be cheaper but also taste best and be at their peak nutrition wise. A lot of grocery stores have a “half-price” cart, with some stuff being less than half the price. This is a great place to buy cheap fruits that are *ready* to eat, and vegetables are often fine if cooked soon after too. Certain grocery stores have half-price bread all the time, bread that was baked the day before, such as baguettes and big loaves.

-Keep in mind how much weight from the fruits and veggies you can’t eat (inedible peels etc). Lets say oranges are cheaper than pears by a bit, pears end up being cheaper overall because you end up with more edible fruit. Some oranges have Very thick peels, and pears have a super thin edible peels.

-Find uses for what you normally throw out. If you make your own tomato sauce from scratch, you know that a lot of the tomato gets thrown out – the seeds, the liquid and the peel. Throw all your scraps in a blender with some spices, sea salt and olive oil, blend until smooth and you end up with a tasty treat! Or just use the whole tomatoes for a chunkier sauce. How about the seeds from a winter squash that you scoop out before baking? They are tasty and nutritious – Why not bake them with your favorite seasoning? If you’re finely grating carrots, you’ll end up with delicious fresh carrot juice when you squeeze them. Drink chilled as is, or add some fruit like an apple, with a pinch of cinnamon. What to do with lots of apple peels and cores? You can use them to make apple jelly! Potato skins from mashed potatoes can be seasoned and baked to create chips!

-Buy in bulk. Generally, the bigger the amount you purchase, the better deal you’re getting on it. But be careful not to buy *too* much and find yourself with stale ingredients that you couldn’t use up fast enough.

-Support the locals; try farmers markets and u-picks. Sometimes buying local can be more expensive than grocery stores, and sometimes not. Besides, the local produce will be much fresher and more nutritious. You can find good deals at farmers markets, and u-picks are a cheaper alternative for fruits and vegetables as you pick them yourself. It also makes a pleasant outing!

-Don’t eat out.Normal restaurants are labeled as more expensive than the “fast food” type, but even a 6$ combo of fries, a burger and a drink is much more expensive (and tough on your body) than lets say, a bag of quick oats, which would make you a healthy breakfast in a matter of 2 minutes, and it’d last a looong time, or a bean tortilla with a side salad that can be thrown together in a few minutes.-Frozen vegetables are usually very cheap, but frozen fruits on the other hand, usually aren’t that cheap. Keep your eyes open though; Frozen fruits go on sale every now and then, sometimes almost half price.

-Grains and beans are very nutritious and filling and they’re always cheap, just make sure to get whole grains and stay away from refined flours and white rice as they’ve been stripped of most of their nutrients. Whole grain flours and especially gluten-free flours are more expensive than the usual stuff, but again, keep your eyes open as they sometimes go on sale. Some local farms sell whole-grain flour for very cheap! Dry beans do definitely take a while to cook, but they are super cheap and nutritious!

-Don’t prejudge organic foods as being expensive, sometimes it can actually be cheaper! It depends where and when you shop, so always keep an eye out for them. Use your own judgement though on weather something is actually organic or not, since some companies bend the rules to appeal to the people who want to eat healthy, and make them pay more for it.

-Meats are usually rather expensive compared to other foods (and organic, humanely treated meat, although the best choice, is often very expensive) so beans are a great alternative to get your protein. Use them in soups and slow cookers, salads, and for dips (hummus). You can even make delicious brownies with some of them!

-Growing your own garden is another idea, and it doesn’t need to be big. You can start out with just a couple of pots of herbs and vegetables in your home. Find out what grows best in your region so that it won’t be too much of a hassle to do. If you have some relatives or friends that have big gardens, offer to help them pick during the peak months in exchange for some free fresh stuff.

-Don’t put it out of sight. It’s easy to stack your cupboards and fridge full of food and eat away at what’s in sight, forgetting (conciously or not!) about the foods hiding behind. Stale crackers, moldy vegetables, winey fruit dessert… It all goes to waste when it could have been saved. Try not to cram your cupboards and fridge full, and remember to prioritize what you should eat first. For example, eating that soup before it turns to fungus instead of going for the crackers that will last a long time. Making big batches of food saves you time, just remember to eat it in a certain amount of time or freeze what freezes well.

-Look up your local Food Not Bombs. They’ll feed you delicious healthy vegan meals in parks once or twice a week, and their food is usually loaded with greens. You can even volunteer for them by cooking food together and washing dishes to help them out for all the good things they do without asking anything in return. Some colleges in big cities serve healthy, vegan/vegetarian food for cheap or free for lunch too.

-Stay Connected. I know it may seem really strange to ask, but consider asking certain family members and friends if they can let you know when they have a bunch of food that`s about to go to waste that they won`t use. Some people waste a LOT of food. I`m sure a lot of you will see this as a very unappealing to do, in a sense embarrassing or unwelcomed, but why, really? You should know these people well enough and have an idea of who wastes a lot and who would be open to the idea and who`d want to help you. A suggestion to keep in mind.

-And for those willing to even ponder it and take the “risk”, consider dumpster diving. There is SO MUCH food that is being thrown out of grocery stores, so much of it still edible that is being wasted, it’s disgusting. I plan on dedicating a page to dumpster diving, but for now, a summary: The important thing to keep in mind when dumpster diving is being discrete – Try not to reveal your presence and put things back the way you found them. Try not to make a bunch of noise. Don’t openly speak about it to just anyone; Only talk about it if you must or know the other person is like-minded. It’s best to go when the stores in the area have closed for the night. If there’s a lock on the dumpster, move on. If it’s open, take a peek with a flashlight. Wear clothes you don’t care might get stained or damaged, and wear gloves for extra protection. Be careful when you go in, but look around freely. Dumpster diving is hit-and-miss. Sometimes you find nothing, sometimes you find more stuff than 4 people can carry in bags. Once in a while you’ll find a store that cares about their waste and the hungry and they’ll leave out their (ex: fresh baked pizza) on the ledge of the dumpster for people to take.

You can find all kinds of things, like ripe bananas, potatoes, onions, apples, squash, fruit juices, pop cans, yogurt, frozen goods, chocolate bars, bread and baked goods, and from health food stores, things like nutritional yeast, raisins, honey, nuts, whole wheat bread and baked goods, rice and soy milks, healthy snacks and drinks, and organic produce. I`ve even found things like sanitary pads, food color and cat food. Have fun digging! Just watch out for the fish heads… Any dumpsters with lots of open bags of meat products and bloody bags should be avoided completely.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

For three vegan adults (me, my bf, & his mom), we spend roughly $70/week. I try to keep it around $50 as much as possible, but sometimes we have to get a couple more spendy items (dha oil, multivitamin, protein powder, etc.), so it averages to $70/week. Once his mom moves out, I'm thinking we can bring the costs down more - she likes her packaged foods.

We buy as much as possible in bulk and that's our biggest money saver - like, we have storage containers for 25lbs of wheat flour, white flour, brown rice, black beans, soy beans, masa, and oatmeal. It was an expensive trip to Bob's Redmill the first time, but we saved up and have been pretty set for 5 months. And I've done the math, and the amount we save is ridiculous. We bring our own containers to the store (for everything from carob powder to peanut butter to nuts to dried fruit to even spices) and get the tare weights and only fill up what we need. We make much of our food from scratch (soymilk, burgers, tortillas, seitan). We're still working out a better system to make bread, yogurt, and energy bars, but I hope to be packaging free really soon. We also do what we can to make our produce last as long as possible (wash and store leafy greens in airtight containers). We buy fruits and veggies that are local and on sale. And we supplement with frozen fruits and veggies, also trying to buy larger bulk bags for cheaper.

It's been difficult to get to this point. My bf and I work 40+ hours/week and a crazy social calendar. We all also eat about 7 times/day, so getting food together in the morning is always a challenge. If it weren't for the pressure cooker, slow cooker, and casseroles, I could not make this work. Our daily menu is smoothie, oatmeal/museli, lunch w/ fresh fruit, yogurt, second lunch, cliff bar if working out, dinner, snack/dessert. We're not perfect, we tend to eat out for fun on the weekends, but I feel like we're getting it.

Lastly, coupons have been great to us, but we make our grocery list first and then see what coupons are available for the items we picked - the only thing I really let sales influence are what veggie or fruit I might chose, but I can usually save $2-$5 with coupons/trip.

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

paprikapapaya wrote:
So true, SV! I don't think coupons are really a "thing" in Canada the way they are in the US. I've never seen a coupon for produce which is also what I primarily buy, and the brands in Canada for things like tofu don't really offer coupons. At least not that I've ever come across...certainly not enough to care about couponing.

Totally. I worked at a health food store for ages and saw people bringing in coupons maybe once in a blue moon. Often the coupons weren't even valid in Canada, or the product wasn't available at our store.

If I had like seven coupons for vegan ice cream, I might be tempted to buy vegan ice cream, but otherwise, I wouldn't be buying it in the first place. I don't really like how companies rope you into buying their product when you otherwise wouldn't. I know that's the same way sales work, but you put in less effort to buy something on sale than spending time clipping coupons, so it feels like more of an independent choice. I sometimes write grocery lists based on sales, or I'll let produce sales inspire my cooking.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

There's not always a lot of food coupons to use, but occasionally there are. At one point if you signed up for the Silk newsletter they would send you coupons for free silk. There's usually coupons online for so nice, so good, almond fresh, etc. Canned tomatoes often have coupons. Pasta too.
I mostly use coupons for tp, toothpaste, laundry soap, etc.
Some trips I've saved 20% off my bill. I just wait until those items are on sale, them use coupons to make them even cheaper and stock up. Sometimes I have over 100 rolls of tp in the closet and 16 jugs of laundry detergent. Sometimes I'm down to one roll and one jug keeping my fingers crossed for a good sale.
Bulk barn usually has coupons in their flyer they put out. Spend 10$, save $3. I wait for those, then go get any spices/nooch/beans/nuts I need. If I need a lot, I get two coupons and split the order with my husband.
Canadian couponing isn't as good as the states (no doubling or anything), but it can still work!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

http://www.mambosprouts.com/

I use them for coupons. I found 4 that I can use this week for shopping.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

How about...I skip coupons, which I would normally use for frivolous purchases, and head to Grocery Outlet and don't spend over a certain small amount in cash. A typical trip there will restock me on some type of natural cleaner/detergent/dish soap and a couple of natural things, like rice pasta and vegan cookies.
Cue themesong.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

seitanicverses wrote:
Yeah, I feel maybe couponing is very different in the United States. For example when I watch that show "Extreme Couponing" I know that shiitake at that level is just not possible where I live. The store rules are different "not in combination with any other offer," etc. that restricts that sort of huge savings bidness. I clip the odd coupon for an item that I'll use but kinda rare. I'll maybe use ten coupons a year. There just aren't that many coupons for products I actually use and most of my grocery bill is fresh fruit and produce, anyhoo and I don't know if I've ever seen coupons for produce.

I've never seen the show, but i've read that stores often bend the rules for them to make better tv.

Sure, you can get coupons for silk and soy ice cream and stuff, but mostly I clip coupons for pasta and beans organic pre-washed lettuce mixes, Method and Mrs. Meyers cleaners, and non-food items. A 50 cent coupon may not seem that exciting, but if you combine it with a store sale for that item, you can get some stuff for 75% off and up. I don't have the room to hoarde things in bulk so I don't. I also don't buy things just because they are dirt cheap, if I don't need it I don't buy it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

supercarrot wrote:
when you freeze beans, do you cook the beans thoroughly the first time through or maybe 80%, and let them finish cooking in your meal? do you store them in a lot of liquid, just enough to cover or none?

I cook thoroughly, and freeze with the liquid (enough to cover, and add water if there isn't enough) in 1 1/2 cup increments so that it's equivalent to 1 can per lump of frozen beans. I know some people freeze beans individually without liquid so you can measure them out frozen, but I don't like how they get dried out that way.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oooo, I do that to! Simply because I'm lazy...now I can back it up with a reason!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

helbury wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

I cook thoroughly, and freeze with the liquid (enough to cover, and add water if there isn't enough) in 1 1/2 cup increments so that it's equivalent to 1 can per lump of frozen beans. I know some people freeze beans individually without liquid so you can measure them out frozen, but I don't like how they get dried out that way.

I usually cook mine thoroughly, then drain and measure into 1 1/2 cup increments. I might have to try not draining them and freezing in some liquid. I notice certain beans do get really dry, like chickpeas and kidney beans for instance.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I spend about $100 a week for 2 adults - me vegan, him omni

That was brought down from close to $200/week. My tricks are meal planning, bulk buys, dry beans, making my own stock, small herb/veggie garden, leftovers for lunch every day, and staying the hell away from Whole Foods! If he was vegan, it would be lower, but he insists on frozen dinners for lunch every day ($10/week) plus soda, milk and snacks for himself. I could do $75 a week except for that.

One thing we have to rememeber is WE ARE ALL FOODIES! I mean, that is why we are on a food forum! We love to cook and need quality ingedients.

For example:

I had a coworker that had a 5 person family, + 2 exchange students. Her food budget was around $100 per week. She could not believe how much I spent on groceries, but guess what? the food she cooked for all those people was (sorry to say) boring and not very nutritous. Spaghetti with ground beef every Monday. Fish and rice every friday. Chicken tenders every Thursday. Same salad every single night with every meal.

Perhaps I am assuming, but I would guess that most people cook for their families the way my coworker did. Most people are not foodies, and eating is not a hobby for them, nor exciting. They want food that is fast and cheap. If they want a treat, generally they eat out for it.

I love variety in my meals, I rarely eat the same meal more than once every couple of weeks. Each week my fiancee and I sit down and plan the week's meals, we go through my cookbooks and decide together. Its pretty important to me...food is a big deal!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:21 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

My food budget for my boyfriend and I is $130/wk. And let me tell you, that is the bare minimum. To put this into perspective though, we only buy organic. That said, we don't buy almost any packaged food. I make a meal plan each week and by the majority of my produce from the farmer's market and the rest mostly from bulk bins at our local health food store (it's size is comparable to Whole Foods). Our biggest expense is certainly fruit (we each eat 4-5 servings a day). We spent about $50 this week on that alone.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fruits and vegetables can be damn expensive. I went to the store today and the conventional cucumbers were $2.49 each! I think there's a pervading myth that produce is cheap, but it's really not.

I tend to just buy whatever I want to eat, and I don't budget, but I'm pretty careless with money and always have cc debt. I've just never been able to stick to a food budget. I also eat a lot, so that's probably part of it too.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

My food budget is $90 per week for 2 adults. We eat out once a week and that's not included in the $90. Here are some things I do to keep within budget:

- Make a list every week. On the back of the list, I write out my menu plan for the week. That's so I don't forget what a particular item was for and wind up throwing it out.

- Try to avoid multiple trips to the store. If I forget an item, my husband is in charge of picking it up. He never makes a trip to the grocery store without buying a bunch of junk like beer, chips, ice cream, etc.

- Know the prices of regularly purchased items. This helps me decide if a sale is a good deal or not. I also know whether certain items are cheapest at Trader Joes or my regular grocery store.

- Pick one salad and a few veggie sides for the week and serve them with multiple meals. This is cheaper because it prevents food from winding up in the trash.

Things I waste money on:

- Throwing food out. We throw out a lot of leftovers because we don't eat them fast enough. I don't have a cost saving solution for this. The alternative would be to cook half batches of recipes, but then I'd wind up with half empty cans and such that would probably wind up in the trash instead of the leftovers. I'm hoping that when I have kids my budget won't go up that much because we'll be able to feed them on what normally goes in the trash (before it spoils, of course).

- Convenience foods. We've been buying a lot more of these recently and it definitely adds up. On the plus side, having veggie burgers or nuggets in the fridge keeps us from getting take out on nights I'm too busy to cook, so this may be a wash.

- Leftover night failure. We have leftover night every week where we're supposed to eat leftovers from the fridge. My husband invariably eats frozen nuggets or peanut butter or some other non-perishable item. Sometimes we also get takeout instead of eating perfectly good leftovers.

After reading this thread, I checked out one of those coupon websites and actually found some coupons that I might use. Mostly, they were for non-food items, but I also found coupons for almond milk, oatmeal and so delicious items. It was a pleasant surprise.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Quarantined wrote:
Fruits and vegetables can be damn expensive. I went to the store today and the conventional cucumbers were $2.49 each! I think there's a pervading myth that produce is cheap, but it's really not.

$2.49?! Holy hell. Cucumbers are 5/$0.79 this week at the place I buy my veggies!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 pm 
Cranky

Quarantined wrote:
I went to the store today and the conventional cucumbers were $2.49 each!

You are shopping in the wrong places! Cucumbers shouldn't be that much anywhere in Boston.

Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next