| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beyond Meat on NPR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

maybe they meant it was supposed to compete with "happy", free range chicken fed a suppliment of powdered unicorn on price.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah, wow. Lets hope this is just the start up price and when it gets it goes down. There is this crazy awesome faux chicken outta NC but I've only seen it at Earth Fare for a bazillion a pound too. (best soy nuggets though! http://www.delightsoy.com/)

Is it that price out of the deli case or can you get it from freezer too?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lycophyte wrote:
Yeah, wow. Lets hope this is just the start up price and when it gets it goes down. There is this crazy awesome faux chicken outta NC but I've only seen it at Earth Fare for a bazillion a pound too. (best soy nuggets though! http://www.delightsoy.com/)

Is it that price out of the deli case or can you get it from freezer too?

Our Whole Foods has stuff in their deli case with Delight Soy, and you can buy it frozen, too. It's really really tasty, and unlike many foods of this type, it tastes good cooked up on its own without a sauce or marinade.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Finally got to try this stuff over the weekend! They offered it in buffalo style strips (w/ EB and Frank's), un-sauced and chicken salad. This stuff is amazing. Even my omni friend went nuts over it. I paid $5 for 1/2 lb of the buffalo, but it came out to quite a bit of food. Probably more food than I would have gotten out of a pound of the buffalo gardeins (which I don't care for anyway). Anybody try any recipes with the unseasoned strips? I'm thinking about fajitas.

ETA: I also saw on their FB page that they are going to offer a retail version of Beyond Meat in 2013. I'm assuming that means you won't have to go to prepared foods for your unseasoned Beyond Meat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

nickvicious wrote:
Finally got to try this stuff over the weekend! They offered it in buffalo style strips (w/ EB and Frank's), un-sauced and chicken salad. This stuff is amazing. Even my omni friend went nuts over it. I paid $5 for 1/2 lb of the buffalo, but it came out to quite a bit of food. Probably more food than I would have gotten out of a pound of the buffalo gardeins (which I don't care for anyway). Anybody try any recipes with the unseasoned strips? I'm thinking about fajitas.

ETA: I also saw on their FB page that they are going to offer a retail version of Beyond Meat in 2013. I'm assuming that means you won't have to go to prepared foods for your unseasoned Beyond Meat.

Where did you buy it? Whole foods?

That's not a terrible price if you can get the half lb. Enough to try it. Although if it is at WF, I can't come out of that place without spending a minimum of like $30. I have zero willpower in that place.

Did you ask for it at the deli?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yep. Whole Foods. In the prepared foods section where they have all the potato salads, coleslaw and such. You can see if it's in your area here: http://www.beyondmeat.com/stores/

And yeah, I'm with you on spending too much at Whole Foods. On this particular trip I just stepped in for a burrito. Left $50 poorer :-/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yep! They have it at the one by me, thanks for the link. Right by my work too...dangerous! I will have to check it out. Make sure to eat a big lunch before I go in there haha, no temptation!

Also, daaaymn. Whole foods is everywhere! So many locations! I knew there were a ton, but seeing that giant list...whoa.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

At the Whole Foods up here they sell it totally unseasoned in the pre-packaged cold case deli section. I bought it but it went bad before I had a chance to use it. Damn my laziness!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my whole foods (marlton) only sells it as a prepared item. they don't sell it in a fashion where i can bring it home and make it how i want. the only time i was able to nab some, it was on an orangey pineapple grilled skewer. i don't suggest this as a way to eat it (or at least not the way this WF made it) it dried out and wasn't as yummy as i was expecting, but the center bits that didn't dry out were really tasty. i will definitely go back and get some in a different dish that doesn't dry it out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got some at whole foods in a chicken salad sort of deal. They used to make it with Gardein, which I liked better. I felt like the beyond meat was too meaty for my tastes. It wasn't bad, I bet a lot of you will like it. I just don't like having to chew that much, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The quote at 1:45 is hilarious. "Making fake chicken."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I bought the unflavored stuff at Whole Foods yesterday and just baked it in the oven with some BBQ sauce. It was $3.50 for about a cup of meat. The texture was pretty close but ugh, there was some weird aftertaste (slightly sweet?) that I really couldn't stand. I don't think I'll be buying this again. I also baked some soy curls in BBQ sauce at the same time and they were infinitely better!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hmm. Haven't tried the unflavored stuff as of yet. I just know I'm hooked on the buffalo strips. But I have to call WF ahead of time because they can't seem to keep it in stock. Can't tell if good thing or bad thing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

supercarrot wrote:
my whole foods (marlton) only sells it as a prepared item. they don't sell it in a fashion where i can bring it home and make it how i want. the only time i was able to nab some, it was on an orangey pineapple grilled skewer. i don't suggest this as a way to eat it (or at least not the way this WF made it) it dried out and wasn't as yummy as i was expecting, but the center bits that didn't dry out were really tasty. i will definitely go back and get some in a different dish that doesn't dry it out.

Marlton WF let me by it frozen by the pound, it was $7 a pound. I was talking to someone in the deli section about it because they are making vegetarian buffalo chicken salad out of it, but it's not vegan because they are using regular mayo. So I asked/requested that they make it vegan and then we got into a lengthy conversation about vegan gluten free options and she offered to sell me some so I could make it at home. But recently they also have vegan jambalaya and vegan kung pao chicken in the prepared section using beyond meat.

I wound up making chicken parm strips with it! And it was excellent! I just dipped them in a soy milk and then in gluten free Italian panko, then fried then and melted daiya mozz on them in the oven. This was my fancy valentines dinner paired with some gluten free pasta.