| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ijustdiedinside wrote:
The only time I've liked it is in a juicer which makes it fluffy somehow.

that's because it's scraping the banana (like a sno-cone) instead of pulverizing it and smashing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Oooh! I wish I could find our juicer! I could use a sno-cone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 pm 
Nooch of Earl

OK, so Imma revive this dead thread because I just got a surprise "Yonana" delivered for my birthday. (that sounds dirty)

Last month DH got me a Vitamix 750 with frozen dessert cycle. So.. I guess, my question is, should I return the Yonana? I don't think my parents will be super offended if I do, but they meant well, it was a thoughtful gift..but...it seems like kind of a unitasker, so I guess my question is does it do anything the Vitamix won't? (I also have a juicer, a food processor, an immersion blender, two ice cream makers, and a Zoku.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 pm 

scraping is different than pulverizing. it makes a different product.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:08 am 
Baking In The Flavor

lilyyw wrote:
Amy wrote:
Weirdly, I love stevia in some things (espresso over ice with soy milk), but hate it in other, similar things (regular iced coffee or hot coffee of any kind). I loved the So Delicious sugar-free mint chip ice cream, but hated the other flavor I tried. It's an enigma.

I think stevia/mint is a good combination, but it doesn't go well with most other things. Like, I love it in mint tea, but it's gross in coffee. My mom's hippie friend will roll up a stevia leaf and a mint leaf from her garden and then just munch on them, which is pretty delicious.

I agree. I don't care for it with chai, but it works just fine in peppermint tea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just had banana soft serve for the first time this weekend. My friend made it for me with some peanut butter added in. It was tasty!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

hey if I subbed frozen pumpkin puree for bananas, would it taste "just like" pumpkin pie ice cream?
(seriously, I don't have a ice cream maker, and I need to try to make this with my immersion blender. with a splash of coconut milk, should it be a blend of frozen banana and pumpkin? just pumpkin?)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Well pumpkin isn't nearly as sweet as banana. I might do a lot of banana and a little pumpkin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

if I try it, I will report back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

supercarrot wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
The only time I've liked it is in a juicer which makes it fluffy somehow.

that's because it's scraping the banana (like a sno-cone) instead of pulverizing it and smashing it.

Does this mean that you can make sno-cones in a juicer? I'm tryna convince my husband that we need one and that would totally put him in the yes camp!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 pm 

it might make very fine snow. (aren't sno-cones slightly chunky?) also it's possible frozen water might be too solid, and might break the blades. i would experiment for you, but i don't have the money to replace parts. sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I agree, frozen bananas taste nothing like soft serve. And EB does not quite taste like butter, but its closer to butter than frozen bananas are to soft serve. That said, I love this thread...Its like vegans are finally "coming out" of the food closets! ;)

D.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:10 am 

dudes, it's the texture, not necessarily the flavor. (and scraped, not pulverized)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:57 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This is not about banana soft serve, but in a similar vein, a carrot is not a hot dog.

(And for the sake of science, I love cilantro but hate stevia.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lepelaar wrote:
This is not about banana soft serve, but in a similar vein, a carrot is not a hot dog.

Yes! Carrot hot dogs are a peeve of mine. They have no protein, is my main issue with them. Same with jackfruit tacos.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I get them in the sense that they were a thing before veggie dogs were widely available, and a grilled carrot in a hot dog bun is probably better than a hot dog bun with nothing in it, but they bug me in that they don't have any protein either.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:53 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I feel a little bad for all the healthy alternative foods. Like I know whipped frozen bananas with ice cream toppings are not ice cream, but "ice cream" is easier to say than whipped frozen bananas with ice cream toppings. And maybe it's because I forking love whipped frozen bananas with ice cream toppings, but I want people to stop being mean to them.

And a carrot isn't a hot dog, but "carrot on a hot dog bun with hot dog condiments" doesn't sound catchy either. The idea of them is really silly and imagining someone who eats meat seeing that as a "vegan alternative" makes me a little embarrassed, but in the grand scheme of things that's probably not that important.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:32 pm 

it's called a banana whip. easy peasy.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i guess i just wish they would call it a carrot dog, but it looks cute and it probably tastes good. the same thing with banana soft serve, it's really good! and i think you can even call it soft serve, just dont say "you'll never know this isn't ice cream!" or "they'll never guess it's a carrot instead of a hot dog!"

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:37 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It's not the names that bother me, like if you say 'banana ice cream' that's cool. But the 'it tastes JUST LIKE ______' is the peeve. Now that I have a nice blender, i've come to love frozen bananas with peanut butter and/or coffee, but I still wouldn't tell anyone that it tastes like soft serve. Unless dairy banana flavored soft serve is a thing that people eat regularly.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yup. I wouldn't mind eating most of these things or calling them by shorthand names, but they're not indistinguishable from soft serve/hot dogs/whatever and saying they are just seems silly. It can be it's own thing and still be good.

My tangentially-related peeve is that putting sprinkles on something does not automatically make it cake batter flavored.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Pinko wrote:
Yup. I wouldn't mind eating most of these things or calling them by shorthand names, but they're not indistinguishable from soft serve/hot dogs/whatever and saying they are just seems silly. It can be it's own thing and still be good.

My tangentially-related peeve is that putting sprinkles on something does not automatically make it cake batter flavored.

Yes, yes yes, all of this forever.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

mrsbadmouth wrote:
It's not the names that bother me, like if you say 'banana ice cream' that's cool. But the 'it tastes JUST LIKE ______' is the peeve. Now that I have a nice blender, i've come to love frozen bananas with peanut butter and/or coffee, but I still wouldn't tell anyone that it tastes like soft serve. Unless dairy banana flavored soft serve is a thing that people eat regularly.

I eat a banana with (hot) coffee every single morning, it's the only consistent food/beverage rut I have. I never thought of blending them together - cold brewed coffee blended with a frozen banana would be delicious.

I agree with the accurate naming. A completely delicious food can be made disappointing if your taste buds are expecting something different.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:38 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Cornelie wrote:
EllaGuru wrote:
Stevia makes everything taste like poison.

I'm sorry, but then you haven't had the right stevia yet, or you haven't had it in the right recipe. I feed people stevia all the time and they almost always love it. It's definitely not sugar, but it sure ain't poison either.

I've read somewhere that stevia tastes bitter to some people while others only taste the sweetness, it has something to do with the receptors on your tongue.
I hate that stuff, but my mother loves it, she thought I was joking when I said it was bitter.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:46 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I think frozen bananas are close enough to ice cream to call them ice cream or soft serve by the way, but calling mashed chickpeas "tuna" or blended cashews "cheese" is just silly.
I guess for me the difference is that chickpea salad is a thing on it's own, and chashew spread sounds fine too, but for frozen blended bananas I can't think of another suitable name then ice cream.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next