| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 2979
Location: Sacramento
vijita wrote:
I was thinking the other day that it would be funny if a humorous cookbook was published entitled "The Worst Ideas Ever from Healthy Living Bloggers". I can already think of at least 20 inclusions off the top of my head. Waaaaay more if I spent the time to peruse the blogs I read because they entertain me with their awfulness.

I want to nominate black bean brownies for that cookbook. Anyone who says they're just as good is lying or has never eaten a brownie before.

_________________
grocery budget blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 1324
Location: Montreal
you know what is good though? thick coconut cream and frozen chunks of mango blended together. it is really similar to the soft-serve frozen yogurt at some places.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1460
Location: santa cruz!
i love this thread. and I agree.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1460
Location: santa cruz!
vijita wrote:
Also, please don't put stevia in anything and tell me it's delicious.

I was thinking the other day that it would be funny if a humorous cookbook was published entitled "The Worst Ideas Ever from Healthy Living Bloggers". I can already think of at least 20 inclusions off the top of my head. Waaaaay more if I spent the time to peruse the blogs I read because they entertain me with their awfulness.



this is a great idea. Some of those blogs are just insane.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:55 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
It's true! And I say this as a person who loves banana "ice cream." It's super tasty, but it's not "just like" ice cream. More like a creamy-ish sorbet, I guess.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:09 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4579
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
ashley wrote:
vijita wrote:
I was thinking the other day that it would be funny if a humorous cookbook was published entitled "The Worst Ideas Ever from Healthy Living Bloggers". I can already think of at least 20 inclusions off the top of my head. Waaaaay more if I spent the time to peruse the blogs I read because they entertain me with their awfulness.

I want to nominate black bean brownies for that cookbook. Anyone who says they're just as good is lying or has never eaten a brownie before.


Perhaps they had previously only eaten carob brownies.

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:14 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 6650
Location: bindlestiff
vijita wrote:
I was thinking the other day that it would be funny if a humorous cookbook was published entitled "The Worst Ideas Ever from Healthy Living Bloggers". I can already think of at least 20 inclusions off the top of my head. Waaaaay more if I spent the time to peruse the blogs I read because they entertain me with their awfulness.

Or perhaps a zine.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:00 pm 
Chip Strong
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 979
I've never had anyone try to convince me that blended frozen bananas taste just like anything. All I remember is that my aunt used to make it in the summer and I thought it was great.

I suppose I don't read health blogs though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7211
Location: Brasil
my omega juicer and i are here covering our ears and not listening to what you're saying.
(we don't have vegan ice cream though so we gotta do what we gotta do-- also, put some vanilla in that shiitake!! it helps.)

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:29 pm 
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3537
Location: Long Island, NY
I was also totally disappointed when I first tried the banana ice cream. It's delicious but it's not ice cream. But if you mix in chocolate and peanut butter and shove it into a cone, it's amazing.

_________________
Blog (that I only really update during VeganMoFo): http://joyfulgirl415.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:52 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 121
Location: Charlotte, NC
Agreed. If I'm craving ice cream give me the real thing covered in chocolate and other sugary crepe. Screw the bananas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Posts: 2191
Banana soft serve with peanut butter and cocoa and vanilla in it is pretty amazing.

But no it doesn't taste the same as actual soft serve.

_________________
"No one with hair so soft and glossy could ever be bad at anything." - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 am
Posts: 418
Location: UK
It's been so long since I've had real soft serve, but I suppose it obviously doesnt taste like creamy/milky vanillary-ness.
However it is delicious enough for me to eat it everyday for breakfast.
I've no bad words against it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1414
Location: NJ -> Bristol UK
VanillaDoe wrote:
It's been so long since I've had real soft serve, but I suppose it obviously doesnt taste like creamy/milky vanillary-ness.
However it is delicious enough for me to eat it everyday for breakfast.

ooh, that sounds great for a hot summer's day!

_________________
vegan cheese bigamy is not allowed. - LisaPunk

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 pm
Posts: 2101
Tofulish wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
But the nice thing about banana ice-cream is that you can eat it while pregnant. Soft serve from the machines is basically a yucky listeria risk thanks to the bacteria living in the machines. http://www.livestrong.com/article/13484 ... pregnancy/


Another thing to add to the 'thank god i'm vegan' list.


Totally. Sadly though, even if you have vegan soft-serve on a machine shared with dairy soft-serve, you still have the listeria risk.

Which is not the case with banana ice-cream! YAY banana ice-cream! Mmmmmm delicious and listeria-free


I'm kind of glad I didn't know this when I was pregnant! I quite enjoyed a lot of soft serve during my pregnancy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
torque wrote:
my omega juicer and i are here covering our ears and not listening to what you're saying.
(we don't have vegan ice cream though so we gotta do what we gotta do-- also, put some vanilla in that shiitake!! it helps.)


Are ice cream makers in your price range there? I got my double Cuisinart at Goodwill for $8 (I think) and I love it to bits. I even live in an area where I can find most types of vegan ice cream but just make my own because it's so expensive in the stores. Tonight I made cake batter ice cream and it turned out amazing.

LazySmurf wrote:
I once tried a raw recipe that had this whole long intro saying "you are not going to believe it but everyone is totally shocked when they try it but they can't get enough.

"it's crazy but these agave marinated Jicama sticks taste exactly like McDonald's French fries"

What's really crazy is that I tried it. Not only did the weird raw marinated sticks taste nothing even remotely like French fries (maybe they kind of looked like fries that sat around in water) but they were gross and I wasted some perfectly good ingrediants. I am a chump.

That was many years ago and probably the reason I still haven't tried banana soft serve so thanks for confirming my suspicions.


This made me laugh so hard because that just sounds so gross. I've never tried black bean brownies, either. I keep wanting to but there has always been a voice in my head warning me against it. I thought it was because that voice only ever wanted Sweet Pea brownies, but now I see that it is just wise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 457
Location: Sacred City, California
LazySmurf wrote:
I once tried a raw recipe that had this whole long intro saying "you are not going to believe it but everyone is totally shocked when they try it but they can't get enough.

"it's crazy but these agave marinated Jicama sticks taste exactly like McDonald's French fries"

What's really crazy is that I tried it. Not only did the weird raw marinated sticks taste nothing even remotely like French fries (maybe they kind of looked like fries that sat around in water) but they were gross and I wasted some perfectly good ingrediants. I am a chump.

That was many years ago and probably the reason I still haven't tried banana soft serve so thanks for confirming my suspicions.


I made some jicama 'fries' that were rolled in spices and dehydrated, and they were really good, but by no means were they fries. They were spiced jicama, nothing more! I've eaten some raw vegan recipes that are amazingly like the 'real thing'--the raw vegan Ding Dong comes to mind, and the sunflower 'taco meat'--but seriously, some of those food bloggers are cracked out and say stupid shiitake like "better than the real thing!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 3825
Location: 5 mi east of philly
ijustdiedinside wrote:
i'm all for junk food, but have you had banana softserve made in a champion juicer? maybe it doesn't taste JUST like softserve, but it's totally got the right consistency. in a food processor? no way.

absolutely. if you don't use overripe bananas and eat it as soon as it comes out of the juicer, it's not overwhelmingly banana-y at all! and i do think it's very ice creamy. it's awesome!

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: Ashevegas, NC
Agreed. However, this thread still prompted me to put a banana in the freezer for making "ice cream" later.

By the way, thank you, Isa, for not claiming that mashed cauliflower tastes "just like" mashed potatoes or that pureed sunflower seeds/carrots/onions tastes "just like" cheese sauce.

_________________
"Some of my best friends hate Oreos. I once let one use my bathroom." -Shy Mox


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1196
Thank God for this thread!

ashley wrote:
vijita wrote:
I was thinking the other day that it would be funny if a humorous cookbook was published entitled "The Worst Ideas Ever from Healthy Living Bloggers". I can already think of at least 20 inclusions off the top of my head. Waaaaay more if I spent the time to peruse the blogs I read because they entertain me with their awfulness.

I want to nominate black bean brownies for that cookbook. Anyone who says they're just as good is lying or has never eaten a brownie before.


I think it depends. There are some really awful bean brownie recipes out there. But I recently made one that tasted really fantastic. Probably because it was made with a lot of good chocolate and not cocoa. And no one omitted the fat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
you people are all wrong.

and youre all horrible people too.

have you added peanut butter and some soymilk maybe?

_________________
http://dumbveganfoodblog.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 2979
Location: Sacramento
Mihl wrote:
Thank God for this thread!

ashley wrote:
vijita wrote:
I was thinking the other day that it would be funny if a humorous cookbook was published entitled "The Worst Ideas Ever from Healthy Living Bloggers". I can already think of at least 20 inclusions off the top of my head. Waaaaay more if I spent the time to peruse the blogs I read because they entertain me with their awfulness.

I want to nominate black bean brownies for that cookbook. Anyone who says they're just as good is lying or has never eaten a brownie before.


I think it depends. There are some really awful bean brownie recipes out there. But I recently made one that tasted really fantastic. Probably because it was made with a lot of good chocolate and not cocoa. And no one omitted the fat.

What recipe did you use? I'm totally skeptical because the ones I made were awful (Happy Herbivore or something?), but I think they were indeed fat free. I don't know. It was a long time ago, and the experience was so bad I've tried to erase it from my memory. I'd be willing to try again.

For the record, I love banana soft serve and eat it all the time. A little bit of cocoa and vanilla almond milk makes a really delicious treat. It's more of a thick/decadent smoothie than ice cream, though.

_________________
grocery budget blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9587
Location: Illinoize
Celine has a black bean brownie recipe. I decided to wing one once into a mug brownie, Brian and I ate them and they were okay, but they smelled like beans and that was kind of a turn off.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:09 pm 
Chip Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 am
Posts: 993
Location: RI
strawberryrock wrote:
Banana soft serve with peanut butter and cocoa and vanilla in it is pretty amazing.

But no it doesn't taste the same as actual soft serve.


YES. I make this thinned with a little almond milk and drink it in shake form regularly for breakfast in the summer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 2979
Location: Sacramento
I just don't get the point of putting beans in brownies. I like beans, so I think I'd rather just eat my beans. And then have a real brownie if I deem it necessary. It seems like a waste of good ingredients to end up with something that's just okay.

_________________
grocery budget blog


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer