| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tofu Misozuke - vegan cheese spread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i bet you could use white wine if you have that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:36 am 

paprikapapaya wrote:
I want to make it, but I don't want to buy sake just for 2 tbsp! Anyone make it without?

You can get tiny little bottles (100ml-ish) at liquor stores for like 3 bucks. Probably much cheaper in Ontario, since everything is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I say buy it. It'll keep in the fridge, and the misozuke is so good. You'll have it on hand for the next batch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:50 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thanks! I'll check the liquor store for a little bottle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:59 am 

I am going to try this! I've got some good tupperware containers, a giant bag of white miso and 3 containers of tofu in the fridge. Also, no job. Seems like a great time to try it out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 am 

paprikapapaya wrote:
Thanks! I'll check the liquor store for a little bottle.

I don't know if you've started maknig this yet, but I just noticed on the site it says this:
Do not omit or substitute anything from the marinade, or use other types of miso. Do not substitute mirin for the sake. They have spent two years perfecting this recipe. Trust them.]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, white grapey wine is quite different from sake-- it's much sweeter, for one thing. I wouldn't substitute them except as an experiment I expected to fail and stink up my fridge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 am 

solipsistnation wrote:
Yeah, white grapey wine is quite different from sake-- it's much sweeter, for one thing. I wouldn't substitute them except as an experiment I expected to fail and stink up my fridge.

your post in the other thread about good this stuff is (and how expensive) is what inspired me to try this for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Cool! Yeah, I'm thinking of having some with lunch today, actually. C&S pointed out that it's not that far off from what a good imported cheese costs... That puts it in a different perspective, since back in the day, I bought some mighty fancy cheeses on special occasions.

I definitely want to try making it too. I still have about a third of my massive 2-liter sake carton left-- I buy whatever is huge and cheap (12 bucks for a massive container!) for cooking and just keep it around in the fridge (it's a weird narrow carton so it doesn't take up as much space as you'd think).

If I wasn't sure I'd be cooking with it much, liquor stores and Japanese markets, as mentioned somewhere up in the thread, usually have some kind of small bottles of inexpensive (sub-$5.00) sake kicking around. At that point, if you're making a couple of batches at once you could use up most of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My most recently finished flavors are smoked paprika and wasabi. Neither one tastes much like it's flavoring. I was expecting a huge kick from the wasabi. It just tastes slightly more bitter than the paprika one. Smoked paprika doesn't taste nearly as smokey as the TM I made with liquid smoke, which isn't surprising, but it's also not as good as the batch I made with Korean hot red pepper. Mind you, neither is bad, they just both taste almost like plain TM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

solipsistnation wrote:

Woah, not necessarily! There are plenty of very dry white wines out there, and some sakes can be on the sweeter side. I am thinking of trying grape wine as an experiment at some point. I don't think it's automatically doomed to fail, but it's probably not a good idea for your first try.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:23 am 

So, people who have made this. Did you guys really wait two months? I feel like I've never waited two months for anything ever. How is it after a month?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yes, I really wait two months. It's important. I haven't tried it at one month, but considering how much creamier and more delicious the outside is than the inside at two months, I think it would be disappointing at one month. I'm actually thinking of trying a 3 month batch. You just kind of have to forget about it. Except that you should change the paper towels often, like once a week in the beginning especially, so don't totally forget about it. I write on my calendar ever time I change the towels so I can keep track. But, while I wait two months, I start a new batch once a month, so there is an overlap. I'm opening up a batch at two months and starting a new batch at that point and at that point there is a batch that is one month old maturing in the fridge. Compared to making wine, the waiting for tofu misozuke is nothing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:52 pm 

Holy shiitake, I just tasted Rau Om for the first time and it's the best thing ever. EVER. I am hooked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I just opened up two new flavors: garlic and ginger. They are both super creamy and amazing. The ginger had a bit of mold on it, but I just sliced that part off and the rest seems fine. I started two new flavors aging: lemon, with about a tablespoon of lemon zest; and Italian hot pepper, also about a tablespoon of pepper flakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:34 am 

I have a grocery list for my homemade misozuke after finishing my Rau Om and loving it. I am iffy on the patience factor but holy shiitake, it's really awesome that I can make something taste that great. And I love fermenting stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 am 

I still haven't started mine because I keep using my tofu for dinner! But there was a sale and I've got three packs of tofu now, so I think its time!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:21 am 

We can do this!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really really really want to make this. And I totally should. But I have no idea where to get cheese cloth. do you guys think you can get it at a fabric store and just cut it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Cheesecloth can usually be found in the sort of housewares section of grocery stores, or in hardware stores with the kitcheny stuff (if you have a cool sort of hardware store that does that kind of thing). I don't think it would show up in fabric stores since it's a kitchen thing and not something you'd make clothing out of. I've never seen it in one, anyway...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What are the favorite flavors you guys have made?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

In no particular order: smoke, red Korean hot pepper, and onion have been my 3 favorites so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The nori version is my favorite. My next batch is ready Thursday (2 days!!). I will eat only that until it's gone and then be so sad. Guess I need to start the next batch now. And yes I wait the whole two months. I also write "check misozuke" on my calendar every week. My kids and husband always look at the calendar and ask if I checked it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

HELP!
I made my first batch the end of January. Been checking it regularly to change the wet paper towels. When I do that I make sure that the coating coats the tofu as it might get disturbed when I change the towels. I always lick the knife (sorry) once I'm done, the miso/sake mixture tastes so good. I changed the towels this morning again and when I ate the mixture it didn't taste as good anymore, not like before. More like it had fermented, a bit bubbly. Mind you I only tasted a tiny bit, whatever had stuck to the knife.

Does this mean it has gone bad? It's been marinating since Jan 29, a minimum of 2 weeks to go. I would hate to have to throw it out, I was so looking forward to it. My fridge is kept at a good temperature and I always have the container in the same spot at the back of the fridge so that its temp doesn't fluctuate as much from opening the doors.

Any advice, is this normal?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

solipsistnation wrote:
Cheesecloth can usually be found in the sort of housewares section of grocery stores, or in hardware stores with the kitcheny stuff (if you have a cool sort of hardware store that does that kind of thing). I don't think it would show up in fabric stores since it's a kitchen thing and not something you'd make clothing out of. I've never seen it in one, anyway...

Maybe not all fabric stores do it, but I've seen it in a few, it's actually not something I ever bought from there so I don't know about other stores, but some definitely stock it and sometimes different qualities as well. You can make clothing out of cheesecloth, depending on the quality of the fabric, I have a few cheesecloth shirts that are very thin and cool for the summer. Then you can also make other things out of cheesecloths like towels, etc. A friend of mine made all purpose cheesecloths when she was pregnant to use with her baby. Anyway, don't give up easily, if one fabric store doesn't do it another one might!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next