| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gardein Classic Beefless Burgers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

I picked up a few packs of these for my summer BBQ's visits thinking they would be easier than my pre-made ones I have used in the past. Wow, these are fantastic!!! I did them in a cast pan but they totally taste like they are straight off the BBQ. I did one with bun, veganaise/mustard/ketchup, onion/garlic/green pep/mushrooms, kale leaf, and some VVW Tofu Ricotta...probably one of the best premade burgers (beef included) that I have ever had. Bite was there, taste was there and it just worked perfectly. The second one I had sans bun with everything else and it too was totally tasty.

I even have the post beef burger burps...and they are freaking me out because it tastes like I ate something I will never eat.

They are one sale for 3 bucks for a 4 pack right now so I am literally wiping the sauce off my chin and running out to buy a whack of them.

Post subject: Re: Gardein Classic Beefless Burgers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love the Gardein burgers! They're great on the grill too. I like mine topped with spinach, sweet pickles, and chipotle mustard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My boyfriend really likes them. I think they taste like salsberry steak tv dinners from the 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 am 
WRETCHED

ha! I'm with you missmuffcake, the texture is off. I'm much more a fan of the Quorn vegan burgers. I don't like the Gardein ones at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made these last year on the grill and I liked the flavor but not the texture. They were kind of slimy...kind of. I can't explain it, but I wasn't a huge fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rohai wrote:
I love the Gardein burgers! They're great on the grill too. I like mine topped with spinach, sweet pickles, and chipotle mustard.

chipotle mustard? it's a combination of my two favorite things. hellz yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Jonny Guitar wrote:
I picked up a few packs of these for my summer BBQ's visits thinking they would be easier than my pre-made ones I have used in the past. Wow, these are fantastic!!! I did them in a cast pan but they totally taste like they are straight off the BBQ. I did one with bun, veganaise/mustard/ketchup, onion/garlic/green pep/mushrooms, kale leaf, and some VVW Tofu Ricotta...probably one of the best premade burgers (beef included) that I have ever had. Bite was there, taste was there and it just worked perfectly.

I agree! So good when allowed a nice charred/grilled outside. My 17-year-old carnivorous boy loves them, too, and always asks to eat them when they're in the freezer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

GraciaKai wrote:
I made these last year on the grill and I liked the flavor but not the texture. They were kind of slimy...kind of. I can't explain it, but I wasn't a huge fan.

Come to think of it, I think my favorite one was the one I made on the stovetop, allowing it a nice dark crust. The one my hub bbq'd recently wasn't as stellar - but I attributed it to his minimal bbq skills and not the burger, ha ha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

missmuffcake wrote:
I think they taste like salsberry steak tv dinners from the 80s.

I think this is fair. But I love them nonetheless! I've only ever cooked them on my counter-top grill and I thought they were excellent. Inevitably, a lot of the juices get pressed out, but still far from dry and a nice sear on the outside. BBQ, jalapeno & caramelized onions para mi.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

nickvicious wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
I think they taste like salsberry steak tv dinners from the 80s.

I think this is fair. But I love them nonetheless! I've only ever cooked them on my counter-top grill and I thought they were excellent. Inevitably, a lot of the juices get pressed out, but still far from dry and a nice sear on the outside. BBQ, jalapeno & caramelized onions para mi.

This made me want to buy them even more. Pretty spot on, I thought they were a bit salty but still I like them a lot. Mushrooms and onions go really well with them as I imagine a mushroom gravy would as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I found Gardein sliders at Whole Foods last time i was there and absolutely loved them. I spread the buns with Garlic EB and topped with cheddar Teese and the usual burger suspects. They only lasted a day... I definitely plan on buying some big burgers next time i'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have had 4-5 of them now and I still like them. They are best as sloppy burgers but I also had some cooked and then cut up and thrown over quinoa/veg or fried rice and veg type things.

Anybody in Canada, they seem to be on sale for the entire summer for 3 bucks a 4pack which is half price. I have bought lots for the freezer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

VeganVamp wrote:
Come to think of it, I think my favorite one was the one I made on the stovetop, allowing it a nice dark crust. The one my hub bbq'd recently wasn't as stellar - but I attributed it to his minimal bbq skills and not the burger, ha ha.

Yeah, hot cast iron pan with a slight spray of oil and they get that nice caramelized saucy crust on them without actually burning. I have been doing 2 1/2 minutes per side and they have been perfectly cooked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jonny Guitar wrote:
I have had 4-5 of them now and I still like them. They are best as sloppy burgers but I also had some cooked and then cut up and thrown over quinoa/veg or fried rice and veg type things.

Anybody in Canada, they seem to be on sale for the entire summer for 3 bucks a 4pack which is half price. I have bought lots for the freezer.

!!

I think I'll be looking out for these. Love these burgers so much. My omni partner will happily eat them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

[quote="annabazoo"]I found Gardein sliders at Whole Foods last time i was there and absolutely loved them./quote]

The slider burgers & patties are different. The sliders have quinoa & amaranth and the patties are free of those ingredients making them safe for me! I do not know how much they effect the taste. The boyfriend likes both.