| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy & Healthy Dinners
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hey everyone. I've been off the board for a long time. I'm kfad's husband. I changed jobs 4 years ago and my life was injected with a heavy dose of workaolism. I'm trying to change that now, but it's going to get worse before it gets better I'm studying for a certification, looking for work and will be making multiple trips out of town. I've been looking for quick and healthy dinner ideas because it is way too easy to default to burgers and tots. Also, because I'm a noodle fanatic, everything I come up with seems to involve noodles. I would love to hear what others do for quick & healthy weeknight dinners. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Easy & Healthy Dinners
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:47 pm 
WRETCHED

For me, it is leftovers. I know it may sound boring but I cook a few staples and dress them up. I cook beans in a pressure cooker, rice in a rice cooker and cook extras of both. I steam veggies in the microwave using a silicone microwave steamer so it is easy to add things like salt, garlic powder and whatever else you like to your veggies. I find greens to be easy to do especially if you find them pre-cleaned.

Now I know that is boring but also if you are a noodle fanatic, what about cold noodle salads? You can pre-chop veggies and use them multiple nights. If using rice noodles, they are easy as you don't have to even cook them really but just put them in hot water for 10 minutes, drain and rinse. The recipe I've been using is from protein ninja which uses roasted chickpeas but there are other similar cold asian noodle salads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I personally don't mind eating the same thing repeatedly, so I prep a recipe once and divide it into 4-6 individual dishes and eat that for the week. I know a lot of people need variety, but if you don't, it saves sooooo much time!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:27 pm 

Right now, I usually do a lot of prep during the weekend to make weeknight meals easier, but I won't have time to prep on the weekend for a while. I've been making tacos and spaghetti every week and I fear my daughter's tolerance for tacos is waning. If it were just me, I could make a huge batch and eat it all week... I eat oatmeal & nooch almost every day. I like the idea of steaming vegetables in the microwave.

Interesting bit of trivia: all three of us joined PPK four days apart six years ago.

Edit: kfad just reminded me of the reboot six years ago =)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i like to make a BIG batch of beans and rice (two types of beans, loads of veggies, brown rice, spices, lime juice, cilantro you name it!). this way one evening we can use it as a burrito filling, add cheeze and crisp up the burritos in the cast iron skillet. another evening we'll top chips with some beans and rice, add on sliced cherry tomatoes, diced green onions, cheeze sauce and bake for nachos. another evening we'll just eat the beans 'n rice as is with chips and guacamole!

i am also a big fan of bowls: brown or white rice, topped with sauteed or roasted veggies, sauteed or baked protein of your choice (bbq soy burls, salt 'n pepper tofu, buffalo tempeh cubes, any bean of your choosing!) + a rock'n sauce to accompany it (think cashew based ranch for buffalo tempeh, a lemony-tahini for beans, coconutty-peanut sauce for the tofu, a quick vegenaise slaw for the bbq).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 pm 

For me, low stress weeknight dinners are made from things that last in the pantry or freezer. Buy bags of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, stir fry veggies. Buy frozen brown rice also if you like. I cook only for myself, so sauce amounts below may be too small for your family. I give quantities to give you an idea of proportions.

Heat up a frozen bag of stir fry veg in a fry pan with a bit of oil add tofu (perhaps already browned in another fry pan) or edemame, make a sauce with a spoonful each of miso/soy sauce/chili garlic sauce/sesame oil/sake* and maybe a ½ cup hot water sometimes with a spoonful of corn starch if you want a thicker sauce. Serve over rice noodles.
*or use any combo of tamari, sriracha, mirin, sherry, better than bouillon, nut butter

Cook buckwheat noodles. At the same time steam a block of tempeh. Microwave a bag of frozen broccoli. Also a bag of frozen edemame in place of or in addition to the tempeh. Mix about a ¼ cup pb with a spoonful each of hoisin and chili garlic sauce, add hot water from the tap to thin and help with mixing. Cube the steamed tempeh small. Toss everything together

Vcon chickpea romesco is pretty easy with 2 short cuts. Buy a jar of roasted red peppers. Don’t make your own! Use almond flour instead of grinding your own almonds. Serve over angel hair pasta

Maya Kalmal brand Inidan simmer sauce goan coconut is vegan. There are other vegan Indian simmer sauces. Sauce, chickpeas, frozen cauliflower, frozen cubed sweet potato into a saucepan. Heat and serve over rice.

Bowl of rice, falafel (I like Trader Joe’s frozen ones), hummus, harissa, chopped cucumber, tomato, red onion, olives

Cube a block of tofu. No need to drain. Put equal parts cornstarch and nooch in a plastic bag or tupperware container (maybe a 1/4 c each). Add tofu and shake to coat. Dump directly into a big fry pan oiled with sesame oil. Brown. Add left over rice. Heat. Add kimchi (hold back some of the kimchi liquid so it doesn't get too wet). Heat gently. Add kimchi liquid or a bit of sesame oil if needed. Eat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 pm 

Evie wrote:
Vcon chickpea romesco is pretty easy with 2 short cuts. Buy a jar of roasted red peppers. Don’t make your own! Use almond flour instead of grinding your own almonds. Serve over angel hair pasta.

This is a great idea. I'm going to use it!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:36 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This month the July challenge is cooking from the Minimalist Baker book/blog
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35071

I've been pleasantly surprised with the things I've been eating, as Minimalist Baker has never really piqued my interest. She seems to lean heavily on pasta/taco/dinner salad/stir-fry recipes.

Happyfaced is right about bowls. I haven't made a proper bowl lately, but this one is probably my all time favourite: http://www.theppk.com/2012/03/roasty-soba-bowl/ - it is a good template in that you can switch up your grain or veg or legume but if you top if with that sauce you are aces. I like to use the miso/tahini dressing for salads sometimes, too.

Like Evie, I try to always have a cook-in-bag curry or accidentally vegan indian simmer sauce in my pantry for nights we are in a real pinch, and when frozen vegetable dumplings go on sale I buy as many bags as I can fit in my freezer for more emergency meals. Even in summer I try to have a couple different frozen veg on hand in case of weeks I haven't planned well or had to skip the market. Frozen broccoli and peas in particular, because either one can be thrown in with pasta while cooking and then your cheeze sauce mixes in for almost instant mac and peas/mac and trees.

Finally, do you have a slow cooker? Put a pot on on Sunday morning and have dinner for a couple of nights during the week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Roast a batch of potatoes every week too and have them in the fridge. Use regular, orange sweet potatoes and even oriental/japanese/jamaican sweet potatoes. They are good paired with beans, salsa, chopped lettuce etc. Make a big batch of cheesy sauce and load your potato with whatever you fancy that day. Orange sweet potato is great with black beans for example, corn, salsa, lime, cilantro and sauce. Switch things up with type of potato and toppings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:13 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I was going to say baked potatoes, too. So long as "quick" means not too much hands-on time. We eat it with cheese sauce, broccoli (steam in the bag, often), and Upton's seitan crumbles or soy curls. But Amy's chili is another option.

Boxed tomato soup and whole wheat garlic bread.

Black bean soup. Black beans, veg broth, cumin, chili powder, paprika cooked and blended. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll saute garlic and onion first. Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread (which I actually find quick to make if I start it first).

Other soups in general. It's summer, so we're currently doing tortilla soup (with summer squash) and corn chowder.

Taco salad. Lettuce, chopped vegetables (tomato, bell pepper, frozen peas, frozen corn, black beans, pinto beans, green onion, black olives, cilantro, etc), crumbled tortilla chips, and dressing made from mayo and salsa.

Whole wheat french toast and fruit. Sometimes with veggie sausage.

Kale soba noodles. Cook kale and soba noodles in same pan. Drain and dress with toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, black pepper, minced garlic. And toasted sesame seeds if you feel like the extra effort.

Stuff in the oven (not great for summer). This also takes a bit more time, but very little is hands on. Whatever vegetables are in season, roasted. And then at the same time bake tofu, tempeh, or chickpeas.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Make a big batch of chili and keep it in the fridge. It is basically the universal topper; just change whatever you have with it. Rice (boil-in-the-bag rice and microwaveable rice pouches are my friends), noodles, microwave "baked" potatoes, Fritos, or a scoop of it on nachos or taco salad. I like chili and never get tired of it, but if you do, this is a terrible suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:39 am 
Tofu Pup

in kerala rice is the main food. but i like to eat chappathi for dinner. nice post.Our high standards of moral and ethical business conduct have set us apart from our competitors, giving us an edge over them. Here offers a series of luxury villas for rent and apartments for sale in Behrain.
Mainly Real estate refers to land and other physical properties like buildings, landscapes, houses, wells etc. In Bahrain there is a lot of chance to real estate dealers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:05 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

It involves noodles, but one of my favorites is the Oh She Glows 15 minute creamy avocado pasta. The sauce requires no cooking and comes together in just a few minutes in a mini food processor. It's really good on Trader Joe's (or whatever other brand you have access to) black bean noodles, which negates the need to cook a protein. Add whatever veggies you have on hand (I like to chop up tomatoes on it for some tang, or just throw on sundried tomatoes if I'm too lazy for that) and it's a super healthy meal. You can also vary the herbs used - I think the recipe calls for basil, but I've used cilantro with good results, and I would think anything you can make a pesto with would work.

I've also been able to save the sauce for leftovers by keeping it in a small container and pouring a layer of olive oil over the top to prevent it from oxidizing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:06 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Take advantage of some pre-made ingredients:
Store bought hummous, whole wheat pitta, pre-chopped veggies.
Tacos: can of refried beans, tortillas, purchased salsa (and maybe guac), bagged shredded cabbage or lettuce. You can add canned sliced olives, roasted salted pepitas, anything else you want.
Curry: jar of curry sauce, bag of frozen or pre-cut raw veggies, can of chick peas. Serve over rice with frozen chapatis or other such Indian bread if you have access.
Stir fry: bag of frozen stir fry veggies or pre-chopped raw veggies, tofu, whatever you would normally season a stir fry with (soy sauce, ginger, etc.). Serve over rice.