| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 05, 2016 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water kefir
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

inspired by the "what recipe is on your to do list" thread i finally remembered i wanted to try water kefir
i have no idea what im doing but i ordered some grains and bought some organic sugar. they should be here tomorrow.

any good websites i should look at?
any advice?

Post subject: Re: water kefir
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I really like using a little bit of finished water kefir to ferment some soymilk - so much easier than making soy yogurt! I also have used this site as a reference:

http://wellnessmama.com/2237/water-kefir-variations/

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It is really easy. Just use white sugar only not coconut sugar or anything else. You just make sugar water, dump the grains in, and wait. The first batch might not be very good or bubbly but the grains get better with each one.

Did you order the cultures for health grains? There are a ton of recipes on their site. Yes it is easy to make yogurt with it. If you have access to fresh young coconut meat you can blend that up with some of the kefir and let it ferment for coconut yogurt. Only fill your jars half full because it will expand.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:42 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My housemates and I did this for a few months 2 (?) years ago. Initially it was really exciting, but then the quantities of water kefir we had to drink became too much. We were 4 people, and if only 1 of us had managed water kefir babies it would have been fine, but we were all so excited about it that we had 4 bottles of it going simultaneously and, no. My suggestion would be to identify people you can give bottles of the kefir to once in awhile.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

We used chunky, slightly brown sugar (forget what it's called in the US), and did initial growth with a slice of lemon or lime, and then a flavored growth with something else (usually some other fruit).

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:45 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

lutin wrote:
My housemates and I did this for a few months 2 (?) years ago. Initially it was really exciting, but then the quantities of water kefir we had to drink became too much. We were 4 people, and if only 1 of us had managed water kefir babies it would have been fine, but we were all so excited about it that we had 4 bottles of it going simultaneously and, no. My suggestion would be to identify people you can give bottles of the kefir to once in awhile.

Yep, it's easy to get overwhelmed with growing bacteria. When I reached the point of critical bacterial mass I hibernated it in the fridge in a mason jar. Every once in a while I'd take it out and pour off some of the water and add fresh water with a tad of sugar and molasses. I found that when making kefir that after a few batches things would slow down a bit. When that happened I'd add just a bit of molasses to the next batch and the vigor would bounce back. The molasses contributes a brown tint but nothing off.

I never made mine still I always carbonated because I like bubbles! If anyone goes that route use a pressure safe container. I used the Grolsch style bottles (I used 1 liter ones) but even a plastic pop bottle should work. It's been a while since I've made it and the recent talk here has gotten me thinking about taking it up again so I'd love to hear what other folks are doing flavor wise, I really want to do some like tonic water so maybe I should just get to it already.

Edit to add, there is a bit of talk about it in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4911&p=949257

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah i read something about how they just keep multiplying. not sure what i will do when it becomes too much for me.
ive been upping my intake of water lately to make sure i drink a lot of water so in theory i can just replace my tap water intake with the kefir i make but at some point if im successful doing this i will have too much for me.

does it taste at all similar to seltzer water? my husband drinks a lot of polar seltzer and i hate all the bottles it uses. it wouldbe cool if i could switch him to this. the only other person in the house is our 3 year old daughter.

i might be able to pawn some off on my mom but other than that i dont have anyone local

is regular tap water ok to use? we have fluoridated city water. i have a couple bottles of spring water downstairs if i should use that.
i was reading a bit and some people were like DONT USE CHLORINATED WATER but i dont know if that was because the chlorine did something to the kefir grains or if ERMAGHERD CHEMICALS. i have no idea if there is chlorine in our water. it's city water so probably.

ill have to read that wellness mama page. i think that was one of the ones i looked at.

i got hte grains from someone on amazon (florida sunshine or something?) they had a lot of great reviews soooooo hopefully it comes with some form of instructions.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:18 am 

I use fluorinated, chlorinated tap water. It isn't kudzu so when you have what you want simply stop making it, I too became overwhelmed by the volumes of it I was making that is why I resorted to hibernating the bacteria in the fridge between batches. I don't think that I would replace water with it for a few reasons. It can and likely does have residual sugar and it can have some amount of alcohol as well the amount of each dependent on your process parameters. I don't want sugar and/or alcohol in every beverage that I drink. As you grow accustomed to making it you will have a decent handle on these things but realistically we do not have the sophisticated equipment that tells us exactly how much of each is present, we control it by methodology which is acquired through experience (a.k.a screwing things up).

Please don't let this discourage you I know it can sound like this is a confounding process. It is not, it is easy really but just beware of these things. Also treat this like a lab experiment and be clean, be sanitary. You are growing bacteria and fermenting food with it so the process/environment is conducive for other things to grow as well so don't invite other things by being unsanitary. Again I hope this doesn't sound scary just keep it in the back of your mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool thanks for the tips. my grains arrived today and i bought a glass container at Target to make it in because i realized i didnt have anything to make it in.

let the great experiment begin!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:05 pm 

It might be a slow start and remember these first batches are experimental so don't judge it too soon in the game. I'm going to get some more cultures and get back into this again I think, thanks for tabling this.

Oh BTW I have used it on straight up apple juice too there really is a lot of room for creativity.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

last silly question.
will the volume of liquid increase?

the water plus the sugar plus the grains pretty much filled the carafe i bought to the very top.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:48 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
last silly question.
will the volume of liquid increase?

the water plus the sugar plus the grains pretty much filled the carafe i bought to the very top.

Nope but it may fizz and create a bit of a head, probably not the first batch but as the bacteria gets stronger and more vigorous it may foam more. The "grains" will slowly multiply and gain volume but not so quickly to overflow things. Maybe set it in a dish in case and next time leave a little headspace.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok thanks