| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June "use your cookbooks" challenge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

any one who wants to play along again jump in.

here is the original thread for reference.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32827

the general theme is to pick a cookbook from your collection you feel is underutilized and cook from it throughout the month.

my personal goal is to make 4 recipes out of my chosen cookbook that i have never made before so roughly 1 a week.

some other people are doing variations on this theme like cooking for the season or trying to cook local or whatever.
all variations are welcome.

jump on in!

please when you post state what you are doing and what cookbook you are cooking from (if you have chosen to do the cookbook thing)

pictures are more than welcome.

Post subject: Re: June "use your cookbooks" challenge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for June im using Betty Goes Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am planning to cook from my shiny new VWAV so I can jump in with the June cookbook challenge. I made the punk rock chickpea gravy today and have some leftover Moroccan tagine from yesterday that will most likely be eaten tomorrow so it can be counted in June....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm going to do what I've been threatening to do for months and use Vegan Diner. I made the brownies last month but still have some in the freezer so I'll still count them as June.
I'm having this week off from cooking but next week I'm doing the slaw, chili, macaroni & cheese, ribs and pot roast. I'm also gonna make a lasagne using the chili and a soft version of the smoky mountain cheese

Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

tonight i made the avocado and tequila steakless tacos and black pepper tofu macaroni salad both from Betty Goes Vegan.

ive made both before so i knew we would like them.
the tacos are super easy and yummy and very quick to throw together. i put less lime juice in the avocado mixture because i find if you put the full 4 tbsp it is swimming in lime juice. the recipe calls for a tomatillo salsa from the book as an accompaniment and i only made it the first time i made this recipe. we discovered that neither me nor my husband are big tomatillo fans and even a half recipe makes a ton of salsa so when we make this recipe we just use our own salsa.

the black pepper tofu macaroni salad is weird and interesting but in a way that i keep going back for more. it has creole seasoning in it which is not a big thing around here so i think it's just a foreign concept to me. it calls for a specific brand they use several times throughout the book but i have no idea if you can get it around here so i just googled it and made my own.
i use a little less black pepper than it calls for because the black pepper flavor is VERY prevalent throughout.
i also didnt put in the daiya it called for in it this time around because the first time i made it i couldnt figure out what the daiya was adding oither than excess calories. you literally cant taste it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:40 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This month is a bit interesting because I'm going to be gone for large chunks of it. However, I have several recipes planned from Vegan Casseroles and Isa Does It.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'll play! I haven't used Teff Love, yet, and I'm dying to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'll be cooking a lot from Plant Powered Families this month. I just got the book a few days ago and am excited to try a lot of the recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I want to do Vegan with a Vengeance which just arrived :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:58 am 
BAD PASS

No big surprise - I'm doing Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen because -- yep. Still obsessed with it.

In May I made:

Tofu Pasanda (Tofu in velvety pepita poppy seed sauce)
Rajma (Kidney bean curry)
Masoor Seddho (Bengali red lentil soup)
Cumin-Scented rice (twice, to go with the other dishes)

I'm really looking forward to cooking my way all the way through it. I have it with me at work today to find something good to make for tonight. I plan to make the Makhani Vegetable Pot Pie and possibly the Mysore Pak (chickpea flour fudge) for the Chicago PPK potluck this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:25 am 
BAD PASS

Oh, and the Chickpea Flour Pancakes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:20 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't have any real plans at this point - my schedule is really weird right now and any significant recipe cooking will be hard to tackle.

I'd like to do a few more recipes from Oatrageous Oatmeals since I didn't get to do as much as I'd liked. Beyond that I'll just try for new recipes whenever possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

After thinking I would sit this month out for about a minute, I've changed my mind! I'll be diving into Vegan Pizzas by Julie Hasson. I've had the book almost a year and have only made a cheese sauce out of it I think. I've just been using it to take notes on other pizza creations we come up with, eep!

I'll be starting this week with the All-American BBQ, only because I have those ingredients on hand.

I'll probably continue on my journey with Salad Samurai as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:22 pm 

It's been really fun following these monthly threads. Thanks for starting this, LisaPunk! I'm especially excited to see what you all cook up this month from Betty Goes Vegan, VWAV and Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen.

I am continuing my personal challenge of one new cookbook recipe a day (averaged over a month). It may sound like a lot but it's been very do-able with easy/quick recipes like smoothies, salads, salad dressings, and sandwiches. I also cut down proportions to only serve 1-2 instead of 5-6, as I don't love leftovers. I've met or surpassed this challenge every month except for March, and have made 166 recipes so far in 2015!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:05 pm 

Zula wrote:
After thinking I would sit this month out for about a minute, I've changed my mind! I'll be diving into Vegan Pizzas by Julie Hasson. I've had the book almost a year and have only made a cheese sauce out of it I think. I've just been using it to take notes on other pizza creations we come up with, eep!

I'll be starting this week with the All-American BBQ, only because I have those ingredients on hand.

I've been thinking about buying Vegan Pizza. Can you tell me if the recipes rely on things like Daiya or similar brands of cheese?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm 

kidsdoc wrote:
It's been really fun following these monthly threads. Thanks for starting this, LisaPunk! I'm especially excited to see what you all cook up this month from Betty Goes Vegan, VWAV and Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen.

I am continuing my personal challenge of one new cookbook recipe a day (averaged over a month). It may sound like a lot but it's been very do-able with easy/quick recipes like smoothies, salads, salad dressings, and sandwiches. I also cut down proportions to only serve 1-2 instead of 5-6, as I don't love leftovers. I've met or surpassed this challenge every month except for March, and have made 166 recipes so far in 2015!
I'm going to start focusing on one book a month, but having the problem of buying way too many books, my other goal is to use each one at least once each year. Good luck doing one a day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

disneyfav4ever wrote:
Zula wrote:

I've been thinking about buying Vegan Pizza. Can you tell me if the recipes rely on things like Daiya or similar brands of cheese?

I just looked back through the book. It looks like shredded, packaged cheese is called for in:

~All 5 of the Classic pizzas
~5 of 7 Farmer's Market pizzas
~7 of 8 Not Your Usual Suspects
~4 of 6 Global Flavor pizzas
~0 of 5 Dessert pizzas

Well, that's brought me down a bit. I was using Daiya a fair bit more when I got the book last year. However, I'm hoping to sub or leave off the shredded on most of them. There's a Mozzarella-like spread/sauce from Cheesy Vegan that I make fairly regularly for pizzas & I was planning on using that for the BBQ one. It calls for shredded, but I kind of just glanced right over that when I thought of the homemade sauce. I might do some searching here to see if others have had good results with substitutions and the like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Subscribing. I just want to use my cookbooks more!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:26 pm 

Dinner tonight was the sneaky chickpea burgers from Plant Powered Families. I also made the pumpkin chia pudding last night and then the pumpkincredible hummus today. Everything was really good and I haven't been disappointed with anything from the book yet, neither has my somewhat picky omnivore boyfriend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So, yesterday I made the white bean roasted garlic soup from the new VWAV. I didn't have time to roast the garlic so I did what Vcon recommends and subbed 6 fresh minced cloves. I also threw in some rice that I had leftover in the fridge. It was really tasty and I will make it again.

Today I made the cheesy broccoli casserole from Vegan Casseroles, minus some nooch because I RAN OUT. #vegankitchencrisis Also, I'm sick and my brain was in a fog, so I accidentally dumped way more than 2 cups of rice into the casserole dish and already had added the sauce and stuff before I realised. Dumb. It still tasted good, but I did have to add more salt. I'd make it again too.

And I also made the pineapple upside down cupcakes from Whole Grain Vegan Baking, only I left the sugar out of the pineapple mixture to make it less sweet, more like a muffin. It was actually perfect that way. They turned out great and I was able to flip them out of the muffin tin after 10 minutes (the recipe says 30, but I didn't have time to wait). The girls did not like them. They ate all the pineapple off the top and then handed me the rest. Also would make again.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:45 pm 
BAD PASS

Tonight I made Gobi Musallam, which is an entire head of cauliflower blanched, then roasted covered in the dreamiest, most fragrant sauce ever ever ever. SO good! I didn't sit down to eat until nearly 10:00, but it was so worth the wait.

I basically just copied the way the photo was taken in the book, because I didn't know how else to photograph it in order to show its magicalness. It didn't hold together in slices when I plated it, which was so definitely not a problem for me, but it wasn't super photogenic. I had it with some flour tortillas instead of naan. Because whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 am 

Zula wrote:
disneyfav4ever wrote:
Zula wrote:

I just looked back through the book. It looks like shredded, packaged cheese is called for in:

~All 5 of the Classic pizzas
~5 of 7 Farmer's Market pizzas
~7 of 8 Not Your Usual Suspects
~4 of 6 Global Flavor pizzas
~0 of 5 Dessert pizzas

Well, that's brought me down a bit. I was using Daiya a fair bit more when I got the book last year. However, I'm hoping to sub or leave off the shredded on most of them. There's a Mozzarella-like spread/sauce from Cheesy Vegan that I make fairly regularly for pizzas & I was planning on using that for the BBQ one. It calls for shredded, but I kind of just glanced right over that when I thought of the homemade sauce. I might do some searching here to see if others have had good results with substitutions and the like.

Thanks, that doesn't sound like something I need, especially since I'm trying to not buy cookbooks right now. I'll have to pay attention to your posts this month and see if anything really catches my eye though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

last night i made the vegan bacon ranch and chicken pita and the 3 bean salad from Betty Goes Vegan.

the bean salad was intriguing because you put nooch in it.
it also has a fresh herb vinagrette. you are supposed to used canned wax adn green beans but i bought fresh.
overall i thought the salad was a little bland. i have another bean salad recipe i definitely prefer.

the pita was really good and the vegan ranch dressing they have you make to go with it is the first vegan ranch ive had that actually tasted like ranch to me. even the cucumber ranch in IDI i didnt think was all that flavorful but this one is such a weird conglomeration of random ingredients taht somehow tastes like ranch in the end.

i used the beyond meat chicken strips and tofurkey bacon for it. the directions are odd. they want you to bake the chicken and bacon in the over and then refrigerate it overnight and i cant figure out why. there is no sauce or marinade or anything.

i pan fried them and used it hte same day. very puzzling. i also have no idea why they want you to sprinkle sunflower seeds on it. seems random.
i had no sprouts either which it calls for but otherwise a tasty and easy sandwich to make.

im jealous of the Vegan Richa posts. my husband hates Indian food so i will just be living vicariously through you. does it have a raita recipe in it? ive yet to find a raita recipe that i like (ive tried 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the olive-mushroom tofu fritatta from VWAV and it was very "blah" and not very flavour-intensive. I probably wont make it again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:38 pm 

Lisa, those tacos look beautiful! And is anyone else horrified that it's already June? Yikes, this year is flying by!

I'm using A Vegan Taste of France, which isn't a particularly appealing cookbook, as there are no pictures at all and it lacks the nice presentation I usually go for. But I'm hoping the recipes will make it a worthwhile purchase.

So far I've made the creamy cauliflower almond soup (meh) and the puy lentil and mushroom soup (really tasty!). I've also tried the lentil and aubergine salad, which was simple and tasty. I'm looking forward to trying some of the casseroles and desserts!