| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot Weather Veganism
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:06 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

We're in the middle of a heatwave here in Portland, and I'm kind of sucking at cooking right now. We've had salads a lot this week, but I'm in need of stuff that will make good leftovers for lunches the following day. What do you guys cook when it's hot? Anything good that you can make in advance and keep on hand?

Thankee!

Post subject: Re: Hot Weather Veganism
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:32 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

In the morning when it's cool bake tofu, make tempeh or chickpea tuna salads, and cold salads like potato or pasta.
Use the proteins on salads or in sandwiches.
A big batch of quinoa/kale/pintos with a dressing is good for a bunch of lunches or dinners. Sub any grain/veggie/bean you like. Yellow Rose Recipes has a lot of good cold salad options.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:36 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I think baked tofu and roasted beets are both delish cold with a dressing (like lemon-tahini) on it! And you can make a big batch and eat it througout the week. And variations of chickpea salad (either on sammiches or salads) - I do a "chicken" one (with mayo, chopped celery, pecans and grapes, and usually some tarragon or something), a "tuna" one (mayo, chopped nori, capers/caper juice, shredded carrot) or an "egg" one (mayo, black salt, mustard, etc).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

I really like making ramen & cabbage salad when it's super hot out. I get a bag or two of coleslaw mix and non-fried ramen, make up a dressing with some sesame oil, tamari, garlic chili sauce, and whatever else sounds good and then mix it all together with some almonds. Sometimes I add tofu or some other protein. It's good right out if the fridge will last a few days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I mostly eat cold soups, salads, bowls, tofu and bean spread sandwiches, and collard rice paper salad wraps in the summer.

if it's too hot to cook: tofu dill salad from VWAV, chickpea salads, gazpacho, massaged kale salads, edamame, tabouli, and three bean salads are good no/little cook options

cooking ahead in the morning or at night for later: borscht (I love pureed and chilled borscht), baked or grilled proteins for bowls or wraps, grains to use in bowls, potato salad, pasta salad, baked falafel

Sometimes I use the slowcooker if I get tired of cold food but I still don't want to heat up kitchen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:30 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

pandacookie wrote:
Yellow Rose Recipes has a lot of good cold salad options.

Good call! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:58 am 
Semen Strong

I really love Salad Samurai as well. I would say I use it 3 or 4 times a week, because the recipes are just so incredibly good. She has a lot of info on how to keep leftovers unsoggy for the next day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Couscous and bulgar are awesome in the summer. I love being able to cook only using a tea kettle. I do lots of grain salads using these with beans and veggies,or as grains to go with a cook-cooking hot dish.

Also, when it's really unbearably hot, I basically live on meal type smoothies, that involve nut butters and oats in addition to fruits and soy or almond milk.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

I keep our toaster oven in our garage during the summer and if I need to bake something it goes in there. It keeps the house much cooler but the downside is it is small and I am limited by its size.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Wraps and burritos are my go to for hot weather. I fill them with refried beans, hummus, chickcheeze, tofurkey, etc and then lots of greens and shredded veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

slowcooker, chilled soups, and frozen salad/green smoothies in Popsicle molds. also sushi (rice cooker!) and bbq foods.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:23 pm 
Naked Under Apron

One of my favourite summer dinners is the Ribs from American Vegan Kitchen (grilled or could be BBQed) with either the BLT potato salad or Mustard Mac Slaw.
Also pasta salads and cold pie (cooked in AM and left to cool in fridge).
Cold lasagne, chilli and pizza are also rather good

Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I like the dragon noodle salad from IDI, it has a no cook peanut sauce that is perfect for summer meals. I like steaming veg in the microwave or just making a big hummus and eating with pita and cucumber and carrots.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I more or less live off hummus with veggies and pretzel sticks this time around.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:45 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Thanks for starting this thread!

I use the oven a LOT in the winter so I always have a problem in the summer figuring out what to make. We can't have a grill in our apartment building so we're limited there. We've been eating tacos, salads, and other things that have already been mentioned. If it was up to me I would just eat hummus + veggies + pita bread for dinner every day.

When we used to live somewhere with a grill, we just cooked outside a lot.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:27 am 
Baking In The Flavor

pandacookie wrote:
In the morning when it's cool bake tofu, make tempeh or chickpea tuna salads, and cold salads like potato or pasta.
Use the proteins on salads or in sandwiches.
A big batch of quinoa/kale/pintos with a dressing is good for a bunch of lunches or dinners. Sub any grain/veggie/bean you like. Yellow Rose Recipes has a lot of good cold salad options.

Second on this. I cook either first thing in the morning or very last thing at night (so the kitchen can cool down overnight). Bake tofu or tempeh; cook quinoa, couscous, rice; steam a few veggies; and finally make a few sauces or dressings (love APF's Green Goddess and Sanctuary dressings). Then for lunch/dinner, just toss components together.

And, if I'm making salads, I always try to add some romaine. Something about the crunchy-yet-wateriness of it makes me feel cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:52 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Spring rolls, bún (the rice noodles just need to be soaked); noodle or pasta salads, potato salads, grain salads or beans salads. Patés, hummus, crudites. Nori wraps (rolls) with or without rice. Chickpea "tuna" salad. Taco salad (raw walnut meat or a no cook TVP meat- just soak with seasonings and you're good to go).

ETA. Here is hot and humid as heck (close to 100F including the humidity index), but I've been cooking a lot from Vegan Richa's and Teff Love. I don't associate hot weather with dals and wots but that's what I've been craving.