| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: subbing soy cream for cashew cream
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not crazy about recipes that call for cashew cream. Cashews ain't cheap, and I never end up getting them blended well enough for the cream to be creamy and not grainy, no matter how long I blend.

On the plus side, Alpro makes a really nice culinary soy cream, so I've decided to start using that in recipes that call for cashews rather than just avoiding those recipes altoghether.

The question is, how do I convert the amounts called for? In other words, if a recipe calls for say, 1/4 cup cashews and a half cup water, how much cream would that translate to? Any ideas?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: subbing soy cream for cashew cream
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Probably just a little over half a cup? I'd just play around with it as you can always add more soy cream as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Oh man. If Alpro is a decent sub for cashew cream, my cookbooks will become 89% more useful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Does soy cream thicken up in hot sauces and soups the way that cashew cream does? If not, you may need to make a little roux or cornstarch/cornflour slurry to make up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:40 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Probably just a little over half a cup? I'd just play around with it as you can always add more soy cream as needed.

Thanks, ijdi! I wasn't sure how much volume the blended cashews added. I'll start out with just over a 1:1 liquid ratio and go from there!

Nicole wrote:
Does soy cream thicken up in hot sauces and soups the way that cashew cream does? If not, you may need to make a little roux or cornstarch/cornflour slurry to make up for it.

I haven't tried it in any specific recipes, but I've used it to make a creamy sauce for pasta (just winging it in the pan) and it does thicken up quite nicely. (At least the Alpro does. I can't speak for other brands.) I'm actually pretty confident in its use in hot dishes, but I'm curious if it'll work well in things like salad dressings. I may give it a try tomorrow using a dressing recipe from AFR.

Rebekah wrote:
Oh man. If Alpro is a decent sub for cashew cream, my cookbooks will become 89% more useful.

I know, right?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have nothing helpful to add, but I freaking love that stuff and so wish we could get it here. My brother is visiting from Germany in a couple days and replenishing my stash. So excited!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

if you don't have access to commercial soy cream, the "creme" recipes in the non-dairy evolution cookbook are super easy and work great in everything i've used them in so far... you can even whip it or churn it into butter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:16 pm 

Just thought I'd report back about using it in a dressing. I didn't do a specific one from AFR, but I made one with the soy cream, olive oil, a bit of white balsamic, chopped shallots, grainy mustard, dill and some garlic powder. Made it tonight and will be using it tomorrow on my lunch wrap. It tasted pretty good on the fork. It should be even better once the flavors meld.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:23 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I like to use the Mild&Creamy yogurt for dressings etc. The soy cream often tastes weirdly sweet to me (as does cashew cream sometimes) and the yogurt is a little more tangy. It's got a very slight vanilla flavor, but you can easily cover that up with garlic and/or spices. Adding a little lemon juice or even vinegar gives it a bit more tang.