| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hemp protein
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:15 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi guys. I don't know if this is the right place to post, but here it goes. I recently bought a large bag of Hemp Protein by Nutiva, and I found that it has a strong bitterness to it. At first it's sweet and nutty, then it goes all bitter in my mouth. More like an aftertaste.

Now I have used hemp protein before, but that wasn't the case. But I found some people complaining about hemp's bitterness online, so maybe it varies from package to package?

It's not that I can't chug it, but I want to make sure it's not rancid or anything. It's hard to find where I live, too, so I'm hoping it's all good.

Post subject: Re: Hemp protein
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:48 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't know about bitter. I've been experimenting with protein powders, and I bought some hemp protein powder that is like shards of glass. It just does not dissolve or get smooth. I feel like I'm drinking sand. I hate to throw out all those expensive nutrients, but I can't even chug it. I've tried sneaking it into muffins and salad dressings, but it ruins anything I add it to. Are you having any texture problems or just taste problems?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I was really hoping to like hemp protein because its so nutritious but I absolutely hate it. I find the taste an unbearable sickly sweet and then bitter and the texture isn't pleasant either. I can't force myself to consume it although I wish I could.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

I don't mind the texture, but then again I can basically chug anything so long as it's healthy! It's not an isolate, though, so I guess it could never dissolve like other protein powders.

Like vowlry said, it's sweet first and then real bitter. I just didn't want to ingest it if it was rancid. The company was kind enough to issue a refund, but said that some hemp proteins are just bitter while others are not, and that it's safe to ingest either way. It doesn't make me sick in any way, so I guess I'll go on using it. I'd hate to toss 3 pounds of hemp.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hmmmm... I don't love hemp protein/seeds but it has a odd taste, but not bitter. Like you, I'd be worried that the oils have gone rancid if it's bitter. (I'm super sensitive to bitter).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

I use the Naturally Splendid brand and I don't mind the taste at all. I don't think it ever dissolves in water but it doesn't irritate my throat when I chug it. I don't taste bitter but it is certainly strongly earthy flavoured when you have it with just water. I like earthy though so someone that objects to that kinda thing might describe it negatively.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:07 am 
Tofu Pup

I am a huge proponent of hemp protein and I can tolerate all that goes with it especially the grittiness. Have you tried Manitoba Harvest hemp proteins? They have a Hemp Pro 70 line that is supposed to be the most water soluble. I really have enjoyed the regular Hemp Pro line of theirs. It is a bit gritty even after mixing in the Vitamix. They have plain, vanilla and dark chocolate flavors.