| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade tofu
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:05 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've been trying to make homemade tofu lately.

I've been mostly using the recipe from the vegan pantry but open to others.

I seem to get drastically less tofu then the recipe says though.

I make 4 cups of the soymilk I made and then I add 3/4 tsp of nigari in water while it's boiling and I get tofu but only about a third of the amount I'm supposed to have.

Has anyone made homemade tofu to know what could be a common cause of this.

It's very good tofu though. It's much better then the store bought stuff.

Post subject: Re: Homemade tofu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:58 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't have that book anymore to look at the recipe but when I used to make tofu I had the best luck with the recipes and techniques from Asian Tofu by Andrea Nguyen. She goes into a lot of detail about every step. The earlier recipes I had used had the nigari added all at once, but she recommends adding 3/4 at first then stirring and pouring the last 1/4 directly into the areas that still look a bit milky. More can be added if that isn't enough. When I started doing it that way the curds became very distinct from the clear liquid and I had a higher yield whereas before I had a lot of cloudy liquid coming out while it was being pressed.

Asian Tofu is a big, beautiful hardcover — almost a coffee table book — but it has a lot of recipes with meat. The tofu-making chapter of AT is available as an ebook called Making Soy Milk and Tofu at Home. That may be a better bet. I just checked on Amazon and it's only $3.79!

Quote:
If you have the Asian Tofu cookbook, you’ll recognize the contents of the eBook. It’s the extensive “Homemade Tofu Tutorial” chapter presented in both regular and enhanced (videos included) formats. I worked on that section of the book for months, perused a Ph.D. dissertation, and traveled to Asia to get a few questions answered too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:11 am 
Chip Strong

I have made tofu before, but only a handful of times and it was years ago, so I'm hardly an expert. I first tried with nigari, and it didn't curdle well so I added extra and it just made horrible tasting, slightly curdled soy milk. :( Then I tried it with some calcium sulfate (purchased from a beer and wine making supply store) and it was a great success! It separated into distinct curds and whey like Xocolatl is describing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:38 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Just a thought: if it was boiling, it might have cooked the soya milk, which can prevent it from coagulating from my experience. My best tofu has been made warm, but not boiling.