| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bread-maker, bread-maker, make me a bread! (+other stuff!)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I got a (free!) breadmaker a few weeks ago and much like the former owner I just stuck it in a cupboard. Then, one day, I really needed focaccia but didn't want to knead it. I looked up how a bread maker works and realized it will also just do dough. Oh my gourdness! It was amazing. I have since made focaccia twice (sorry, no pictures, it gets eaten right away), seitan once and naan. I used the cooking feature to make the seitan and it came out stringy and delicious. I have pastrami in the bread machine right now. I will take pictures when it is done.

The naan was fantastic. I just veganized this recipe to make garlic naan: http://frogeatstown.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... bread.html Then I sprinkled garam masala on after baking it and it tasted just like the restaurant but softer, actually! I can't afford a kitchenaid mixer but this bread maker does the trick!

ETA: http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/glutpast.html this is what I'm using for pastrami with a little more water and chopped sun-dried tomatoes added.

Post subject: Re: Bread-maker, bread-maker, make me a bread! (+other stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Nice! Also, I really like the title of this thread.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Sra. Nooch wrote:
I used the cooking feature to make the seitan and it came out stringy and delicious. I have pastrami in the bread machine right now. I will take pictures when it is done.

You used the regular white bread setting? That would be around 1 1/2 hours total in the machine but that's also counting kneading and rising times.

This sounds like a great idea, especially with these 90-plus degree days we're having this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

veggiesue wrote:
Sra. Nooch wrote:
I used the cooking feature to make the seitan and it came out stringy and delicious. I have pastrami in the bread machine right now. I will take pictures when it is done.

You used the regular white bread setting? That would be around 1 1/2 hours total in the machine but that's also counting kneading and rising times.

This sounds like a great idea, especially with these 90-plus degree days we're having this week.

I made this recipe: http://pdxvegancookingclub.blogspot.com ... urkey.html which took awhile because I used the medium crust setting. I have the pastrami in right now on the regular white bread which my machine said would be about 2 hours. And that's true, it doesn't heat up the kitchen too much. I live in WA so I have a problem of too cold of days right now and so I love the dough rising in the bread maker at the right temp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Sra. Nooch wrote:
I made this recipe: http://pdxvegancookingclub.blogspot.com ... urkey.html which took awhile because I used the medium crust setting. I have the pastrami in right now on the regular white bread which my machine said would be about 2 hours. And that's true, it doesn't heat up the kitchen too much. I live in WA so I have a problem of too cold of days right now and so I love the dough rising in the bread maker at the right temp.

Oh my gosh, that's amazing. I am going to try it this weekend with my new-to-me breadmaker. (I buy one every few years at a yard sale/thrift store/Kijiji and use it till it dies).

Right now I have pizza dough in the breadmaker on the timer so it will be ready when I get home from work. This new one also has a jam setting so I am curious to try that too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I made the pastrami and I would make it again; t'was so yummy with Reuben sandwiches on my panini press. Just next time, I will use medium crust setting just like the "turkey" recipe.

Next, I would like to make Rye bread for my Reubens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

what is the time breakdown for baking the pastrami/seitan? are you adding liquid when you cook seitan in it? this is a totally new idea for me! I make dough in mine sometimes, but i do have a standmixer, so i use it for pizza dough mostly, or on hot days for the full deal bc i don't want to heat up the house and i make all our bread. I am not a big fan of the crust my oster produces though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The bread maker makes a baked seitan versus a boiled one. I would say the real definition is ultra high gluten bread but we just call it seitan. I just add all the ingredients in the beginning like the turkey recipe I posted and removed the blade when it is resting before baking. It wouldn't hurt to carefully check on the seitan while it is baking to make sure it doesn't burn on the outside but I think that part tastes great. You could also just mix the setian in the maker on the dough setting or with your stand mixer to get a stringier seitan rather than spongy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This thread makes me so happy! My bread maker has been neglected lately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So I made the seitan and it turned out very good. The only thing I would change is that I cooked it on medium crust and next time would use "light". The texture is quite firm, which I like, as one of my dislikes of seitan is how moist it is throughout regardless of cooking method. I used the regular bread setting which on my breadmaker is just under 3 hours, and I did not take out the paddle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm 

I use my bread maker to knead dough all the time. I have a French bread recipe I use weekly, and I use the same recipe to make cinnamon rolls on Saturday night. I roll them out, pop them in the fridge and then bake them Sunday morning. Yum!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Artsiag, thanks for your feedback- my machine does 3 hours for the basic setting (the last hr is bbaking) and it makes a very thinck crust, even on the light setting, and this was my worry. I wonder if i could do it on the 80 minute or 58 minute setting or which both bake it for 30 mins? would that long enough?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just realized I sort of abandoned this thread. Jildez, under-cooking seems better to me since you can always pop the loaf in the toaster or conventional oven.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Wow, that pastrami sounds like a great idea.

I love my bread machine and use it all the time. I just gave a friend a loaf of bread for Christmas last night. Her husband, who used to do all the cooking, has dementia, so she is overwhelmed with having to care for him, plus cooking. So she was very thankful to get the bread and some homemade lentil soup I froze. (Thanks to the idea in another thread of making pre-cooked meals to give as gifts!)

You can also make pasta dough in your machine, although you'd have to hand or machine roll it out afterwards.

I also do pizza dough and cinnamon roll dough. Yummy!

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:52 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Pasta dough, of course! I think lasagna is only the best when made with homemade pasta. I hand roll it, which is a pain. I saw a pasta roller at goodwill and was intimidated at the same time as also afraid it would just sit unused in my already full cupboards.

The conclusion is, that robots are better than humans except for eating. They do the cooking; we eat the food.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Why do you people do this to me? Earlier this year I gave away my underused crock pot, only for the Vegan Slow Cooker thread to pop up a couple of weeks later. And now last week - LAST WEEK - I gave away my bread maker that had been sat useless in the cupboard for five years.

Are you spying on me?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm 

Ruby Rose wrote:
Why do you people do this to me? Earlier this year I gave away my underused crock pot, only for the Vegan Slow Cooker thread to pop up a couple of weeks later. And now last week - LAST WEEK - I gave away my bread maker that had been sat useless in the cupboard for five years.

Are you spying on me?

No, but who is that behind you?!

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just bought a breadmaker at the flea market, great condition, super-cheap. I want to make pizza dough, anybody have a favorite recipe to share? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:12 pm 

There must be something wrong with me because I HATE my breadmaker! The stupid paddle thing always gets imbedded in my loaf so the bottom 1/4 of the stupid short/squat little loaf of disappointment is ruined. What is wrong with me/my maker?????

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 am 

Nothing. That's what they do. It's a rare occasion when my paddle *isn't* stuck in the bread.

A lot of people remove the hook after the last kneading, before the final rise, so all they get is a small hole where the shaft is.

To avoid holes all together, you can always just use the machine to knead and put the dough in a loaf pan for the final rise and baking in the oven.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

VeganGypsy wrote:
Just bought a breadmaker at the flea market, great condition, super-cheap. I want to make pizza dough, anybody have a favorite recipe to share? Thanks!

Ten years later...

I love this dough for pizza. I just put all the wet in the bottom, flour+salt and yeast on top and let the bread maker do the first knead/rise. You can also just have it knead it and then immediately put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Make sure to use bread flour and your belly will be delighted.
http://www.food.com/recipe/focaccia-far ... read-84306

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Making seitan in the BM is an amazing idea! thanks for sharing. I would never have thought of it. Going to do it later today.