| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why isn't this vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it might be that plant oils have very tiny amounts of cholesterol, and that's what what the wikipedia article is referring to. However, the USDA database where nutrient information comes from would not use contaminated flour to do their nutrient analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

I was going to mention the Quorn vegan burgers too! I ate them then noticed 5 mg of cholesterol and was weirded out. Maybe that has something to do with what Mars posted about fungi.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've never thought to check cholesterol, just ingredients, but after reading this thread, I did a check today and found the weirdest thing. I checked out two products from the same brand, Vivera. They sell both vegetarian and vegan products. The supposedly vegan felafel (it's marketed as 100% plant-based and I checked the ingredients) had 5 mg of cholesterol. Then I checked a veggie patty that contained egg. No cholesterol listed. what the fizzle?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:30 am 
Inflexitarian

I'm pretty sure it's possible to have animal products with only trace or negligible amounts of cholesterol.

I don't understand the cholesterol in vegan products, though. Usually cholesterol is one of my ways to quick scan a label for possible veganity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

This happened to me once before. I wanted some cookies and hubby went shopping. He spent 5 minutes reading all the ingredients until he found a vegan one. I was happily munching along and started studying the nutrition facts label (we were on a drive and it was raining) and saw that there was quite a bit of cholesterol in those cookies? What the heck! There certainly wasn't anything listed in the ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Ok, this has been bugging me so I did some digging. According to this article, some plants do contain cholesterol, it's just very very little compared to animal products. There's a table comparing various plant (mainly oil) sources to animal sources. (Palm oil is one of the highest.) They're talking about an average of 50 mg per kg, so 5 mg in a package of Quorn or felafel is not that weird. If this is true, though, then checking for cholesterol in food isn't really a reliable way to know if it's vegan.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

Wow, news to me!

But I'm still confused by the math. The highest plant one there is corn oil with 50 mg per kg (2.2 lbs!). so for 5 mg to end up in a single serving of food you would need almost 1/4 lb of corn oil in that single serving. That doesn't add up! Either the labels are wrong or there's another (probably animal) source of cholesterol.... Right? Someone check my math:o)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lepelaar wrote:
Ok, this has been bugging me so I did some digging. According to this article, some plants do contain cholesterol, it's just very very little compared to animal products. There's a table comparing various plant (mainly oil) sources to animal sources. (Palm oil is one of the highest.) They're talking about an average of 50 mg per kg, so 5 mg in a package of Quorn or felafel is not that weird. If this is true, though, then checking for cholesterol in food isn't really a reliable way to know if it's vegan.

This is what I was thinking as well. But I am not really well read on this type of stuff.

Never even accord to me to use cholesterol as a checking point for if something is vegan or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Has anyone emailed any of these companies? Or a reputable vegan dietician like Ginny Messina?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Also, what quorn product is being talked about? The label online for the Vegan Burger lists 0% cholesterol.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

pandacookie wrote:
Has anyone emailed any of these companies? Or a reputable vegan dietician like Ginny Messina?

Yeah, I wanna hear from Ginny! The cholesterol in plants thing sounds sketchy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:07 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Her email can be found through her blog.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I wish I'd thought to take a picture of the brand - it didn't even occur to me to do so while I was at the store and now I can't remember what it was. I'll check the next time I go back though and e-mail them.

I'm a nutrition student and I remember being taught that only animal products contain dietary cholesterol, which is always my big argument point with my extended family. I am the only one out of that whole side of the family, including my mom, her siblings and their children, who has an acceptable cholesterol level.

Anyway, this is an article Ginny Messina wrote where she also asserts the no cholesterol in a vegan diet thing, but there isn't any kind of reference or footnote with it. Since she uses them throughout the rest of the article and not for that, I have to assume that's considered common knowledge
http://www.wedge.coop/newsletter/august-september-2011/vegan-diets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:53 pm 
Naked Under Apron

pandacookie wrote:
Also, what quorn product is being talked about? The label online for the Vegan Burger lists 0% cholesterol.

The box I had said 5mg cholesterol per burger.

I would have emailed, but frankly I didn't care enough. I believe that they're vegan, and don't even plan on buying them again (for taste reasons- they were just ok).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:01 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
it might be that plant oils have very tiny amounts of cholesterol, and that's what what the wikipedia article is referring to. However, the USDA database where nutrient information comes from would not use contaminated flour to do their nutrient analysis.

Can you please write a nutrition book? Kickstart that shiitake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Non vegan products that contain eggs can show on nutrition labels as having 0 cholesterol because basically all of the cholesterol in eggs is in the yolk, and those products likely use the whites.
Finding out that plants can produce cholesterol is blowing my mind.
Every health/nutrition class I've ever taken has made it a point to stress that animal products are the only foods that contain cholesterol.
We had a question on a test that nearly half the class missed, it was "Do peanuts contain cholesterol?" and since most omni's equate fat to cholesterol, tons of people answered yes. Insanity!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

sisterlegume wrote:
Every health/nutrition class I've ever taken has made it a point to stress that animal products are the only foods that contain cholesterol.

as far as i understand, plants are capable of producing cholesterol, but not in nutritionally significant amounts.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
sisterlegume wrote:

as far as i understand, plants are capable of producing cholesterol, but not in nutritionally significant amounts.

That is what I recently heard also. I bet my friend that plants don't produce cholesterol and then I was wrong (according to a google search while we were at the bar).

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:18 pm 

katiejayne wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
sisterlegume wrote:

That is what I recently heard also. I bet my friend that plants don't produce cholesterol and then I was wrong (according to a google search while we were at the bar).

yeah, I checked out some of the references in that wikipedia article and one of them talked about the amounts of cholesterol in plant foods and it's a really small amount. Like you'd end up with < half a mg in a serving or something, so it's not worth mentioning or worrying about. in terms of health, the cholesterol we eat doesn't play as big of a factor in heart disease as does the cholesterol our bodies produce.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm learning way too much in here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mmm......insect and rodent filth.....yummmm!!!!

seriously though it never occurred to me to check cholesterol content of items to look for secret non-veganness. i feel like a slacker now

*goes and reads all the labels in her house*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm pretty sure I have some no named vegan perogies at our local store. Ingredients sound similar to yours, but I could have sworn there was no cholesterol because I always check.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi all,

Lisa asked me to chime in on this topic, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get here.

I have to say that the idea of cholesterol in plants is new to me since I wasn't aware that plants had any of the enzymes needed to synthesize it. If it's there (I'm still skeptical), it's in nutritionally irrelevant amounts as others have pointed out. And I don't think that the food label is reflecting this because the USDA database (the final word on nutrient content in foods) doesn't list any cholesterol amounts for plant foods like oils or vegetables. So I think it's a labeling mistake. Or if the company did their own testing, maybe they are mistakenly reporting levels of plant sterols as cholesterol, since they are chemically pretty similar. At any rate, I'm guessing (hoping) that the pierogi are vegan. I think I have some in my freezer!

Ginny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Great information everyone, and thanks Ginny for chiming in!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:54 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Thanks so much Ginny!

Panda With Cookie