| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gooseberries
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am 
Chard Martyr

I get these in my CSA sometimes and I never really know what the heck to do!

I think I am going to make this recipe today (with vegan butter, obvs): http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1087 ... .offset=20

But I'm sure I'll get them again, so if anyone has any favorite gooseberry recipes, I'd love to hear about it.

I love the extremely British description of the dessert I linked to: A rustic, crumbly traybake to enjoy with a cuppa, or with custard for pudding.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Gooseberries
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think pis is the common use, my parents farm had a gooseberry bush on it but we just ate them as is.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Together with other berries you could use them in rote gruetze, which is a mixed berry compote. They are also good in fruit tarts. The bars you linked to sound also great! German streusel cake recipes often call for gooseberries, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:57 am 
Chard Martyr

Thanks, guys! I wish I had enough to make a pie, but we only a pint at a time. I wonder if the ones my CSA grows just aren't that great, because they kind of don't have much flavor besides being slightly tart.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

My friends mother makes a really awesome gooseberry and rhubarb pie. I don't know the recipe but I can't imagine it would be too hard to create.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

We have bushes on our allotment and I can tell you that this:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/gooseberry/english-gooseberry-cobbler.html

is amazing. Veganised of course.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Thanks, guys! I wish I had enough to make a pie, but we only a pint at a time. I wonder if the ones my CSA grows just aren't that great, because they kind of don't have much flavor besides being slightly tart.

You could make a mini-tart instead of a pie if you're only getting a pint. I kind of want to buy the ones at the store now and see what they taste like.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

matwinser wrote:
We have bushes on our allotment and I can tell you that this:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/gooseberry/english-gooseberry-cobbler.html

is amazing. Veganised of course.

Mat.

thanks! I will make that next time if I can find elderflower cordial!

So, Mat, after reading a ton of British recipes today and seeing things that I call "really super British!" what are some things about American recipes that are just "really super American?"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

also, i like the mini pie/tart idea! I should make more mini desserts so that me and eppy's dungeon master don't have to eat an entire pie by ourselves.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
also, i like the mini pie/tart idea! I should make more mini desserts so that me and eppy's dungeon master don't have to eat an entire pie by ourselves.

Good point - I never even thought about the portion control. I always see tiny little tart pans and never buy them, even though I'm often the only one who eats the pie/tart/etc in my house. Gonna buy some now!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:45 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I wonder if the ones my CSA grows just aren't that great, because they kind of don't have much flavor besides being slightly tart.

I bought some gooseberry jam that fits this description. I don't think I've ever had them fresh. I have a bad feeling I'm going to let the jam sit in the fridge for months and months and then toss it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mr. Shankly wrote:
My friends mother makes a really awesome gooseberry and rhubarb pie. I don't know the recipe but I can't imagine it would be too hard to create.

Gooseberries and rhubarb do go together really well! My mum used to make a gooseberry and rhubarb crumble when we were little that was wonderful. This recipe looks very similar, and you'd only have to sub the butter:
http://foodytwoshoes.com/2010/07/30/goo ... b-crumble/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Crumbles are my favourite kind of anything. Add porridge oats to your crumbly topping; it is a million times better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:37 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

ooooooh I just bought some 'cape gooseberries' at the market the other day - I love them! I had them for the first time 2 years ago in Berlin and had no idea what they were but when I see them now in the summers I buy them up, so tasty as is!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cape gooseberries and gooseberry gooseberries are very different things. Gooseberries are tarter and don't have the pineappley taste to them...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Gulliver wrote:
Cape gooseberries and gooseberry gooseberries are very different things. Gooseberries are tarter and don't have the pineappley taste to them...

Whoa, I didn't even notice there were different kinds. Our market only has the cape ones. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Not just different kinds, it's a different plant entirely. Physalis aka cape gooseberries aka golden strawberries are a nightshade and therefore related to tomatoes and hail from the Americas. "True" gooseberries are related to currants and blackberries and are native to Eurasia and Africa.

I've got a gooseberry bush and about six physalis (cape gooseberry) plants. Both are delicious, but they are totally different fruits that are about the same size and shape but similar in no other ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:35 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I veganised this gooseberry and almond cake last year (though I don't exactly remember what I replaced the eggs with) and it was fantastic. I know it calls for dessert gooseberries but I used regular ones and it was absolutely fine.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]