| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making tempeh?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:38 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My apologies if there is already a thread, I'm a sucky searcher. I was just wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own tempeh? And if so, did you just use soybeans or did you try it with chickpeas? I want to give it a whirl out of the latter and am curious of others' results/experiences.

Post subject: Re: Making tempeh?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Several times but I'm no expert. Have not used garbanzos nor have I used one bean exclusively other than soy but I have used black beans with soy. Check out the fermentation thread. There may be other threads out there (I seem to remember one where someone had issues getting spores started but we helped them through it). I really need to make some more, I've kind of been slacking on fermentation things in general lately.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here you go:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30034
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15913

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:08 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I figured I should chime in because I wrote the tutorial (second link that Cornelie posted). I've made tempeh with chickpeas, and I find that the flavour is much milder than the soy version. I personally prefer the stronger flavour of soy, but I think chickpea tempeh is a good alternative for people who don't love the soy version's strong flavour. I'll often do a 50/50 batch with chickpeas and soy beans, which I think is a good combo and also has a mild flavour. I've also found that when using non-soy beans, my results are better when mixed with soy (or at least, I tend to prefer the results I get, but everyone's different). When using beans other than soy, obviously it's important to be aware that they have a much quicker cooking time. In the past, I've definitely slightly overcooked chickpeas as well, which makes the texture of the finished product not as good.
I think that, of all the tempeh I've made, the 100% soy version is the most foolproof. If it's your first go at tempeh, I'd do a 100% soy version first to get your confidence up with the method (which isn't hard, just time-consuming, but can seem slightly intimidating at first because it's a little fiddly).

Good luck, and have fun!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Duh, I should have checked the fermentation thread. : ) Thanks everyone.