| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Healthy On the Go Foods
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I know I can't be the only one that's staring at days filled with no good restaurants, no refridgerator, and no heat source in sight for the start of school. Starting nursing school in a few days! and the cafeteria sucks at the school and the hospital. Restaurants near the school stink. ...and I'm broke.
Any ideas of what to bring for long days (up to 12 hours from home) to keep me nourished? I don't want to live off of granola bars and nuts.

Post subject: Re: Healthy On the Go Foods
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I know you said no granola bars but... Clif bars are a lifesaver for me during school. They are a perfect back-up food, and if nothing else, I have those.

I am curious to see suggestions, because Clif bars are about as far as I've gotten.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lots of stuff would be ok for much of the day packed with an ice pack?
hummus, veg, crackers or pita, olives, taboule salad
hearty salads with beans or such for protein/staying power
veggie/hummus wraps
peanut butter and crackers/banana/apple
leftover pizza
chips and guacamole and salsa
leftover pasta/curries or soup/stew/anything packed in one of those stay warm thermos things?

there's a microwave at my work but you spend some of your lunch waiting to use it, so i often try to avoid it ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks. So, dumb question, but are some ice packs preferable to others? I've had bad luck with most.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Dried and fresh fruit, veggies like small tomatoes, carrots and celery sticks
Oatmeal/soup/couscous mix you just need to add hot water to (from the tea dispenser or a thermos you bring yourself)
Nut butter and jelly sandwiches
Shelf stable packages of hummus and other spreads
Roasted spicy chickpeas and other legumes (very delicious and nutritious)
Breads, wraps and crackers, something like cornbread, nutloaf, carrot cake or banana bread might be nice. Make them on the weekend, store in the freezer and grab some in the morning before you leave

You can bring perishable stuff like dinner leftovers or salads even without an icepack, just make sure to eat them during the first half of the day/lunch. If you bring frozen food, it will thaw out slowly and will keep even longer, plus it keeps your other stuff cold too.

(can you tell I usually travel with half a grocery bag of food when I'm going to work at the uni...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:32 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

A thermos soup flask! I got one of these http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless ... 120&sr=1-2 it's great, keeps food piping hot from 8 til 1 at least, would probably still be hot a few hours later. Just fill with boiling water and close to preheat the flask while you're reheating your soup/stew. Allegedly you can use them to keep things cool, too, though I haven't tried.

Most sandwiches would be okay to have for lunch without refridgeration, depending on the room temperatures where you are. Alternatively you could get an insulated lunch bag and an icepack (or just a bottle of frozen water - then you've got cold water to drink when it thaws!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah, I usually just risk foods that should ideally be refrigerated. Hummus is one I go back to again and again. Roasted chickpeas are a really good call. Most fruits will be fine...and I wouldn't worry about a grain or bean salad out of the fridge for several hours. Cooked veggies in a soup or curry should be fine. Does the cafeteria have hot water available? Not the healthiest, but those Thai Kitchen instant noodle thingies are good and cheap in a pinch (warning: they are not all vegan so check the ingredients). You could also make savoury muffins and/or scones.

Maybe I am way too relaxed about it, but I'd brought food that's sat at room-temp for years to school/work/road trips etc... and I've never gotten sick. (errr...famous last words)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:41 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My husband works 12 hour shifts and then sometimes goes right to school, just like you, Nursing school. I always pack him a lunch and snacks and definetly use a hard ice pack, after awhile of jamming containers back in the bag, the soft ones always break.

Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread is usually the sandwich of choice. But vegan lunch meat and vegan cheese slices would probably be okay in a lunch bag. Some school cafes have microwaves, so leftover dinner is fine too. Or get one of those soup thermos bottles.

Jiff makes little peanut butter snack cups, so veggies or pretzels could be dipped in that for a more filling snack. I agree Cliff bars are good and easy, as I always pack on for my husband. If you don't want it, save it for the next day. I like making our own trail mix, which includes almonds/walnuts/raisins/shredded coconut/and semi sweet non dairy chips. The coconut really helps a sweet craving. Bananas, apples, and oranges are good lunch bag snacks too.

Always pack some coffee, or tea, to drink to prevent trips to the coffee shop. We have a really old nice thermos from REI and coffee will still be warm up to 14 hours later. And then I always put a diet pop in the lunch bag too because that prevents vending machine splurges.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Veggie sushi rolls! Hummus and stuff to dip in it! Grain salads with chunks of tempeh or something protein-y! Leftovers! Fruit! Oatmeal packets + granola bars + trail mix as backup! Etc. etc. etc. The trick is to eat the perishable stuff in the first half of the day and save the other stuff for later.

When I was a college student I commuted to school, and my pals would make fun of me for bringing gigantic quantities of food with me, including a giant thermos with hot tea in it. I wasn't even vegan at the time, just cheap and filled with a desire to eat something other than crappy coffee and sub-par pizza served in the cafeteria.

If your school has a hot water dispenser and/or microwave that opens up additional options, because you could get those soup cup things or nuke-in-the-bag type meals.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Vegan jerky, 100 cal nut packs, shelf stable soy milk + granola, instant oatmeal, soy/coconut yogurt + chia seeds mixed in, bunny snacks or Sharkies, healthy crackers or chips (like from flax or almond)...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

All of the suggestions in this thread are great. I just want to add that, if you can find them, the Dr. McDougall just-add-water soup mix things are really portable/ easy to make, and pretty healthy. If you'll have access to a microwave, those microwavable rice pouches (I think some of the Uncle Ben's Ready Rice flavors are vegan) are pretty good and filling.