| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: replacing eggs with vegan option for daily breakfast
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

So i am in the process of switching over (sorry if this offends anyone) and I'm having a hard time finding something that is as quick and satisfies the same need (savory, protein rich, fatty) as the eggs on avo, cheese and toast do. I feel satisfied for about 3-4 hours with this breakfast so need a vegan option that does the same thing. I need to be able to make it in 5 mins on weekdays. i want it to be hot

The trouble with scrambled tempeh is it takes too long. Just a slab of tofu on toast isn't doing it...

has anyone else had trouble and found a successful switchero? I'd love

Post subject: Re: replacing eggs with vegan option for daily breakfast
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Fry a slab of baked tofu (purchased or homemade)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Look up vegan mom's tofu scramble on the vegan dad blog. Takes more like 7 min, but it's great! You can also do the slab of tofu thing if you bread it in nutritional yeast, flour and spices. Makes a good breakfast sammie! Oh and isa's muffin tin omelets from isa does it can be made in advance and reheated. Also super great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

I should add that flavor and taste are high priorities as well

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Well nothing vegan is going to substitute for eggs in exactly every way, if you choose to go vegan you are going to be eating something that is different from what you're used to eating, which might be inconvenient at first. It's kind of just about whether it's worth it to you. But I think those were some good suggestions to start with, anyway. If you were willing to do something cold, hummus would be a great option.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:15 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

you could make big batches of a chickpea 'mash' kind of thing, similar to what's used in those replacement chicken salad spreads. I make it and think of it more like hummus without much tahini or too much liquid, and just blended with a fork. That way it's more chunky and solid as a protein-y base for your avocado (and hopefully nutritional yeast - yum!). And could be heated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Slabs of tofu baked in advance with eggy flavorings like black salt and vinegar, heat them up one at a time in the frying pan, add some vegg (a yolk tasting concoction, comes in a powder) mixed up as a sauce, put between toasted English muffin with a slice of Daiya cheddar if desired. Will definitely be more expensive than eggs and you'll have to plan ahead, but it will probably hit the protein-fat spot pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Lots of great suggestions here!

Kittee's pudlas (Indian chickpea flour omelettes) are also big on taste, speed and protein. http://kitteekake.blogspot.nl/2012/10/p ... oment.html

You could make big batches of this stuff and reheat, or keep a bowl of the batter in the fridge for extra speed in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:05 am 
Seagull of the PPK

baked beans on toast

burrito with guac (we eat a lot of gallo pinto too)

i used to make batches of tofu scramble and make those breakfast pockets with it. it keeps really well in the fridge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:36 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

How about making a big batch of tempeh bacon at the beginning of the week and then eating it on toast or a bagel with avocado and hummus?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Cornelie wrote:
Lots of great suggestions here!

Kittee's pudlas (Indian chickpea flour omelettes) are also big on taste, speed and protein. http://kitteekake.blogspot.nl/2012/10/p ... oment.html

You could make big batches of this stuff and reheat, or keep a bowl of the batter in the fridge for extra speed in the morning.

Yum! Thanks for posting, I need to make these this week!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:54 am 
Tofu Pup

Oooo! The Pudlas seem the most appealing. thank you Cornelie. I'm a big fan of kittee's blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:10 am 
WRETCHED

It should be noted that someone mentioning slab of tofu above wasn't saying just slice up some tofu... Tofu can become very egg like especially if you use black salt (which I never have). Or even baked tofu with whatever spices/seasonings is really good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:17 am 
Tofu Pup

The thing with the slab of tofu idea is that then i feel like my lunches are thrown. i love having tofu sandwiches or tofu in a salad for lunch, and it seems like it would be a similar thing. yes, i know that tofu is a sponge for flavour and i wish there was a way to make tofu scramble in advance and heat it up (enough of it to make a difference. we inhale the stuff) but....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I find tofu scramble stores and reheats just fine...?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:58 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I need to try the muffin tin omelets from Isa Does It again. I thought I was being super smart adding in broccoli, and it just didn't work. I think I'd be better off putting them on an english muffin with Vegenaise and baby spinach than trying to put the veggie IN them. ...They also stuck to the pan majorly, most likely because the broccoli totally wrecked their consistency.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

karichelle wrote:
I find tofu scramble stores and reheats just fine...?

Yeah, this. When I know I have a big week ahead, I make up a nice big batch of VWAV tofu scramble, put it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge so I can heat up a portion in the frying pan each morning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

dollish wrote:

Ha! Well, I was going to tell you to eat a heated slab of soap, but since you insist....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Chickpea flour omelettes are among my favourite breakfasts. A big pot of lentil dal made on a Sunday makes a delicious breakfast through the week but not everyone likes Indian food for breakfast.

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
dollish wrote:

Ha! Well, I was going to tell you to eat a heated slab of soap, but since you insist....

I dunno, soap can be pretty flavourful. Palmolive has a nice, piquant "after dinner" flavour - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sometimes I make my husband a big batch of breakfast sandwiches on Sunday to eat every morning for breakfast. I do either baked tofu (I adapted the VWAV scrambled tofu seasonings into a marinade) or I make tofu omelettes, the layer it with either homemade sausage patties (the chorizo sausaged from Vegan Brunch) or storebought ones, and a slice of vegan American cheese. I put them on either homemade biscuits or storebought English muffins. Then I wrap them up individually and stick them in the fridge, and he heats them up each morning the morning.

Also scrambled tofu totally reaheats just fine for me in the microwave. I like to have some on hand with other basic ingredients for quick breakfast tacos in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

These aren't really the same taste as scrambled eggs (I miss their convenience, too), but they're fast and filling, and I eat them often.

Tempeh bacon, avocado, and toast (doesn't take any longer to cook than eggs)

Crock cheez on your current avocado sandwich. You can grill the sandwich if you want it hot. I just eat it with wheat crackers and carrots.

Seitan sausages and toast (make the sausages on a weekend, and they cook up fast in the morning)

Breakfast tacos with either tofu scramble, beans, tempeh bacon, or soyrizo. You can make a whole batch in advance and freeze them or assemble in the morning.

And then there's the world of oatmeal, which really doesn't take more than five minutes to cook. Make it with soy milk, nut butters, protein powder, or nutritional yeast for protein. You can also make it in advance and heat up individual portions in the microwave. I like it savory better than sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lots good ideas here! i agree with everyone who is saying if you want an exact replica of scrambled eggs, you may have to wait for Hampton Creek to come out with their retail version of scrambled eggs, but for now, you should find some other foods that fill that same craving. Eggs cook super fast, so if you want something that cooks up as fast as an eggs, it's going to have to be something already prepared that you can just heat up or just like...nooch and avocado on toast.

Hope you try some of these ideas!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I know it has been said a thousand times already, but TOFU SCRAMBLE!

I also really missed eggs when going vegan. I like omelets, fritattas and scrambles the most. Luckily, I really really really like tofu scrambles.

On Sunday's I make a huge batch. I like lots of veggies in mine, so one block of tofu goes a long way. Then I make tempeh bacon, or store bought sausage (I like Light Life) and then I eat one large serving, then portion out 3 more for breakfasts during the week. 4-5 if I am actually making breakfast burritos.

They heat up in the microwave just fine at work. Sometimes even better, IMO. This was the one I tried first, and is a favorite. easy to change up too http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/

Also, there is the Vegg. If you add it to your scramble at the end, it really does get kinda eggy.
http://thevegg.com/

I think tempeh bacon on toast with avocado sounds amazing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

mandycoot wrote:
Sometimes I make my husband a big batch of breakfast sandwiches on Sunday to eat every morning for breakfast. I do either baked tofu (I adapted the VWAV scrambled tofu seasonings into a marinade) or I make tofu omelettes, the layer it with either homemade sausage patties (the chorizo sausaged from Vegan Brunch) or storebought ones, and a slice of vegan American cheese. I put them on either homemade biscuits or storebought English muffins. Then I wrap them up individually and stick them in the fridge, and he heats them up each morning the morning.

Also scrambled tofu totally reaheats just fine for me in the microwave. I like to have some on hand with other basic ingredients for quick breakfast tacos in the morning.

This is really great suggestion, thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

mollyjade wrote:
These aren't really the same taste as scrambled eggs (I miss their convenience, too), but they're fast and filling, and I eat them often.

Tempeh bacon, avocado, and toast (doesn't take any longer to cook than eggs)

Crock cheez on your current avocado sandwich. You can grill the sandwich if you want it hot. I just eat it with wheat crackers and carrots.

Seitan sausages and toast (make the sausages on a weekend, and they cook up fast in the morning)

Breakfast tacos with either tofu scramble, beans, tempeh bacon, or soyrizo. You can make a whole batch in advance and freeze them or assemble in the morning.

And then there's the world of oatmeal, which really doesn't take more than five minutes to cook. Make it with soy milk, nut butters, protein powder, or nutritional yeast for protein. You can also make it in advance and heat up individual portions in the microwave. I like it savory better than sweet.

Thanks for understanding. My sweetie doesn't really like oatmeal. I think i need to up my tempeh bacon intake. wish i could get all the great things available in the states in NZ