| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bake instead of steam?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:23 am 
Huffs Nooch

For things like the chorizo and smoky maple sausages in Vegan Brunch, and for Vegan Dad's corned beef seitan recipe, has anyone baked these items instead of steamed them and, if so, what are your tips and tricks? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Bake instead of steam?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:12 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've baked seitan before and I've found that wrapping it very tightly and very, very well in oiled oil gives the best results. It basically steams it in its own moisture, because it doesn't escape. Otherwise, you get very bready seitan. Maybe even bake it in a container with a lid and some water or stock in the bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Great ideas! Thank you! I've read about using heavy duty foil, and will try this when I next make seitan over the weekend. I will try adding a pan of liquid to the oven while it bakes as well. I really liked the texture of Susan Voisin's seitan ribs, which I baked, uncovered, in 9x13 dish, but I am attempting a pepperoni log, a corned beef loaf, and a gyro loaf this weekend, as well as the chorizo sausages from Vegan Brunch this weekend/next week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:33 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, losing moisture is going to be your biggest problem if you bake.

I mummify it in (cheap, thin) oiled foil and pop it in a loaf tin to help it retain its shape. Heavy duty foil would probably work better, but I am a cheapskate. Seal the edges by folding them over very tightly. If you don't grease or oil the foil, it will stick.

If you want to get fancy, you can add seasoning to the margarine/oil that you slather it in and let it soak in in the oven. A simple salt, margarine and brown sugar mix is great.

For the sausages, I would definitely wrap them individually. Steam escaping from dough will make it rise (like choux pastry), so you'll get big, dry, poofy sausages because all the moisture has escaped. The foil keeps the texture tight.

As an aside, I almost never use 100% gluten for the dry base. I swap around 20% of the gluten for soya flour or gram flour (or even uncooked lentils); I find it helps it retain moisture (fat and water) and prevents the rubbery that seitan can have. A teaspoon of carageenan is great in sausages for helping trap moisture and improving the mouthfeel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:25 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

the big stick Pepperoni from Vegan on the Cheap has you wrap the logs in foil and fill the baking dish with like 1/2" of water turning half way through. it comes out perfect.