| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boloco
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Opening 5 min from me. Never heard of it. Give me the vegan 411 please :)

Post subject: Re: boloco
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It's great! Very vegan friendly. The only burrito that is vegan as-is, is the Teriyaki with tofu. Any others though, you can easily veganize by omitting the cheese or sour cream, or check on the ingredients of the sauce if it's another weird one. The ingredients PDF is on their website or I've had good luck just emailing them if that is not up to date.

I like that you can get anything with tofu in it, and all the beans and rice and guac are vegan. They also have a really nice loyalty program where each dollar is worth a point, once you get 50 points you get any free menu item you want. You also get a free menu item on your birthday once you enroll.

ETA: also, the soyberry shake is vegan if you just omit the honey.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

AHHHHH!!! im so jealous. ive only been like twice when ive been in Boston but it's so yummy.

i like the thai peanut one. i dont remember what it's called.
i think they have smoothies too they will make for you with soy milk rather than yogurt (I think i remember that?)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:

i like the thai peanut one. i dont remember what it's called.
i think they have smoothies too they will make for you with soy milk rather than yogurt (I think i remember that?)

oh yeah- the Bangkok Thai? That one would be vegan too, as-is, with tofu, but I've never tried it.

yeah I think you can sub soymilk in any of the smoothies, the only issue I've had is when they say a certain smoothie might be too watery with just soymilk instead of yogurt, but they are usually really good with suggestions on how to do it. Everyone that works at every location I've been at is really nice.

I'm looking at the ingredients now and it looks like the sorbet is vegan too, so that means more of their smoothies are vegan than I thought! Boloco rules.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Boloco definitely rules. They even have mango salsa!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 am 
ugh

Boloco is the best!! I go all the time. I recommend using their online ordering system, which I like because (a) I can make a bunch of substitutions without confusing anybody and (b) you get a 10% discount off your order. I usually order "goloco" burritos & smoothies, which are build-your-own items. You can reproduce anything on the menu this way without accidentally ordering something with cheese or whatever. And while the tofu is delicious, if you just get beans you'll get a super cheap burrito or leave extra cash for guac. I usually wait for a freebie to make a fully loaded burrito (tofu AND guac). Bonus: they don't put meat in the pinto beans like Chipotle does!

DEFINITELY get a card. Even if you don't put any money on it, you become eligible for random specials they have - for example, they'll say if you buy a burrito on one day (a holiday or something), they'll put a free mini burrito on your card to be used on a certain other day. Every year around Christmas they have a special where you put $25 on your card and they'll give you $5 more for free.

And hell to the yes on sorbet in the smoothies! My favorite combo is mango juice, banana and raspberry sorbet.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:49 am 
ugh

As if I hadn't already said enough, I also want to mention that their customer service is awesome. Every time I've had a screwup, I tweet them the problem, they ask for my card number, and then they put a free burrito on it to make up for the mistake.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Boloco!!!! The Teriyaki tofu and Bangkok Thai with tofu are the best. You can also build your own burrito with tofu, fajita veggies, rice, etc. The people who work there and the company on a whole are usually awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you city folk are making me jealous!
though we do have a chipotle out here in the burbs which some people dont have so i shall be quiet now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

b.vicious wrote:
And while the tofu is delicious, if you just get beans you'll get a super cheap burrito or leave extra cash for guac.

But the tofu doesn't cost anything, does it? I thought one meat or tofu was always included in the price? Or do you get an extra discount of you leave it out?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:58 pm 
ugh

Quarantined wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
And while the tofu is delicious, if you just get beans you'll get a super cheap burrito or leave extra cash for guac.

But the tofu doesn't cost anything, does it? I thought one meat or tofu was always included in the price? Or do you get an extra discount of you leave it out?

Yes to #2!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for the tip- you are a Boloco Master!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Whoa you guys!!! Thanks! I am so excited! Beans with no meat!? Tofu!? Smoothies I can drink!? I think this might be my new favorite place. It is opening up right across the street from Chipotle. I love me some Chipotle but it's basically the same thing every time, so having some more options is going to be great! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just got an email that Boloco is totally changing their rewards system, it's complicated but basically they're making different levels based on how often you go there and free items will be based on that. You have to go 12 times a month to get the old 50 points for one free item deal now! I only go once every month or two, so at that level it's now 120 points for a free item. You also only get the free birthday item if you go at least 2 times a month. Super bummed :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yes, Boloco is pretty great! Either a veganized Summer Burrito (yum, mango salsa! I add fajita veggies) or the Bangkok Thai (with tofu) are my favorites. Definitely get a Boloco card to at least get rewards.

The staff/management are awesome: one time, they accidentally gave me cheese on my burrito (the only time they have messed up) and I ate like half of it before I realized it (UGH). They put "two free items" on my Boloco card for their mistake. I was pretty scarred after the experience and took some Boloco time off, but it was really nice of them. Another time they gave me a free burrito because they punched in my order wrong. Yay customer service!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

12 times a month????
that's insanity!

that's 3x a week basically.

i dont go anywhere that often except work and they pay me to be there!!

apparently there is a Boloco in Framingham/Natick (it's right around the line so not sure which town it was in)

we were driving around looking for some stupid store and i saw it out of the corner of my eye and i was like AHHHH BOLOCO OUTSIDE THE CITY AHHHHH

my husband got all excited cause he LOVES burritos and i had already told him i wanted to stop by Big Fresh and get falafel (not his favorite) so he thought i was gonna swoop in there and change my mind.

i still got my falafel though. HAHAHAHA

the Boloco in Framingham is just too far for me to ever go there unless im already in Framingham. i can make it to the Whole Foods in Framingham and back on my lunch break but the Boloco would be like another 10-15 down rte 9. its probably liek 25-30 mins from my house.

hurrumph

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

here's the breakdown:

http://boloco.com/blog/boloco-card-policy-changes/

I kind of hate how they're like, our rewards system is still better than many others. Not the point, people!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:55 pm 
ugh

shiitake, I unsubscribed from their mailing list to save money by not hearing about deals they were having. And now this happens. It's kinda like when a [PopularFootballTeam] fan doesn't watch a [PFT] game and then they lose. Damn it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So, short list of vegan options I've culled:

Bangkok Thai
Teriyaki
Goloco
Guacamole
Pinto beans
Black beans

The Summer without cheese?

I also found this, which looks like it's up to date.
http://boloco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/06-26-2012-Boloco-Ingredients-Allergy-Information.pdf

I haven't been in a while, but I think I might start going regularly. Mini walk/fresh air and nutritional info on Bangkok Thai bowl with tofu looks good. I like that they have a nutrition calculator at all, actually.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

b.vicious wrote:
shiitake, I unsubscribed from their mailing list to save money by not hearing about deals they were having. And now this happens. It's kinda like when a [PopularFootballTeam] fan doesn't watch a [PFT] game and then they lose. Damn it.

It's all your fault!