| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: quinoa milk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Has anyone tried making quinoa milk before? Seems interesting! I wonder if it tastes good? Plus, you can use the quinoa after straining it out of the milk. This blog's got a recipe for it:

http://omnomally.com/2011/08/11/cinnamon-quinoa-milk/

Post subject: Re: quinoa milk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Dang. Folks are making milk out of ANYTHING these days.

I still like soy milk best. The taste is good and I like the protein. I like almond milk close second (wish it had more protein). Can't really stand anything else.

This quiona milk looks a little scary though, the brown color. Curious about it. Anyone know if there would be any good nutritional value to it?

Somebody try please! And thanks for the link bodhi :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've had it any it has that bland burpy quinoa flavour. Not a fan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've tried it :D But that's because that's my site lol.
The milk is that colour as I used mixed colours of quinoa (red, black and white). I now make this every week or so after the first time and it's great for smoothies, desserts, protein shakes and in cooking. Tastes quite similar to rice or almond milk - i.e. pretty neutral.

As for nutritional value, quinoa is a complete protein and has high amounts of manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and iron.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

omnomally wrote:
I've tried it :D But that's because that's my site lol.
The milk is that colour as I used mixed colours of quinoa (red, black and white). I now make this every week or so after the first time and it's great for smoothies, desserts, protein shakes and in cooking. Tastes quite similar to rice or almond milk - i.e. pretty neutral.

As for nutritional value, quinoa is a complete protein and has high amounts of manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and iron.

Does it keep all nutritional value when it is made into milk? How is the quiona after it is 'milked'? The same as if it was not milked?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The quinoa industry is depriving the actual quinoa farmers of a vital nutritional staple, and now they're just eating rice and white bread and getting all fat. Plus the wars over quinoa-growing land.

http://eatinggreener.wordpress.com/2012 ... privilege/

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 90,00.html

Basically, all quinoa is blood quinoa.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:52 am 
Tofu Pup

Micronutrients - I'm not sure about specifics values for after making milk. It's still pretty high in protein after making a beverage but much of the fibre is lost as this stays in the leftover meal. I make sure I use this in baking or as an addition to my breakfast or smoothies (much like you might use linseed meal or LSA).
I've been reading about the traditional farmers recently and all the ethics surrounding how our quinoa is sourced and the repercussions. Since writing that post a while ago I've been lucky enough to source sustainably and ethically grown quinoa from right here in Australia - http://www.kindredorganics.com.au/quinoa. I also have a friend who's been successfully growing her own quinoa and amaranth for a few years too. I'm not quite sure I'm keen to take up the responsibility of maintaining and threshing a crop though myself!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for the info, omnomally!

solipsistnation wrote:
The quinoa industry is depriving the actual quinoa farmers of a vital nutritional staple, and now they're just eating rice and white bread and getting all fat. Plus the wars over quinoa-growing land.

http://eatinggreener.wordpress.com/2012 ... privilege/

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 90,00.html

Basically, all quinoa is blood quinoa.

Hmm, that's interesting. I hadn't heard about this before. Thanks for the links - I will definitely read them. So it sounds like I should probably try to source it locally. I'm pretty sure we grow it in Canada too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah they really do many anything into a milk (no offense omno)...nutritionally it may be awesome but I have a feeling it won't be neutral enough, akin to hemp milk, which is also way too much of a thing.

The quinoa "industry" is one reason why I've slowed down on purchasing it, or using it. I was def part of the problem when I bought the big bag from Costco, but I just usually mix it with white rice so I can have a fast grain that still has some nutritional benefit and don't cook 100% quinoa. They definitely need to start having more farmers outside of the Andes growing it. If I ever end up with an Xmas tree farm @ high elevation around here, I might try growing that and the trees. Maybe even between the trees!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:01 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I wonder if quinoa could be a winter crop in the southeast? maybe!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:14 am 
Saggy Butt

I've had it too! I bought chocolate flavored in Spain once. I didn't like the first few sips but after 3or4 I was in to it. Tastes very quinoa-y though.