| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Safe Space for Food Ranting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i apologize in advance; i far i may end up hijacking your thread, because i have so many food rants, let me tell you.
but, not right now, because i need to comment on your gluten free pizza fail.
i make pizza at least every other day, sometimes daily, and i use exclusively bob's red mill all purpose gluten free flour, and it works fantastic. my pizzas consist of:
-gluten free flour crust with added red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic
-cauliflower 'ricotta' (cauliflower in a food processor with basil, lemon juice, black pepper); i usually add black eyed peas to this, to give it a better texture and some protein.
-salsa (just store bought 'extra hot chunky salsa')
-mushrooms, green pepper, sometimes asparagus, sometimes onion
you need to bake it for awhile so the crust isn't gummy (i put it in the oven for a bit before putting on the toppings, just long enough so it isn't doughy anymore, and also cut the pizza into quarters once it's done, and bake again until the insides of the crust are... crusty).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I welcome highjack, come rant with me!

Ok, so I used the bobs pizza mix too and it didnt work. So help me on this. I came out with a sticky blob of dough that just couldnt be dealt with. What is the dough supposed to look and feel like? I dont think mine ever rose, is it supposed to? Either I didnt use warm enough water to dessolve the yeast or I didnt realize what to expect.

I was gonna try the king arthur gf pizza crust next. Any better or different?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

On the subject of queso, the ppk recipe for cashew queso is pretty awesome and gluten free.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've heard the Namaste gf pizza dough mix is good too, but I haven't tried it myself (haven't seen it in stores around here).

http://www.namastefoods.com/products/cg ... y_Id=&Id=8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:16 pm 
Human Gravy

I went to sweet freedom once last summer (after having a really, massively disappointing lunch at govindas) and they had this awesome tomato pie. I'm not gluten free, and I wasn't really super impressed by their sweets, but my boyfriend and I still talk about that tomato pie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:20 pm 
Chip Strong

I haven't tried the gluten free varieties myself, but I'm a big fan of the bread in 5 method in general, and they have videos to show you how to how to handle gluten free doughs (bread or pizza dough): http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/category/gluten-free

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

GraciaKai wrote:
I welcome highjack, come rant with me!

Ok, so I used the bobs pizza mix too and it didnt work. So help me on this. I came out with a sticky blob of dough that just couldnt be dealt with. What is the dough supposed to look and feel like? I dont think mine ever rose, is it supposed to? Either I didnt use warm enough water to dessolve the yeast or I didnt realize what to expect.

i don't use the pizza mix, just the all-purpose flour. i use 1/2 cup (for a personal pizza), and add about 1 tsp yeast mixed with just enough water to form the dough. you have to be really really really careful not to add too much water (it's better if it looks too dry than too wet).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

Graciakai- I skipped the entirety of this thread and only read your original post, but I have one suggestion, since you live in NJ/Philly. You should head over to your closest Wegmans and set up a time to talk to the Nature's Marketplace Manager about their Gluten Free Options. He/She may be able to get you samples of some new items from the suppliers, and also let you know about upcoming Gluten Free events. On Wednesday (in Buffalo, not NJ) we had a huuuuuge gluten free conference and sampled all sorts of things and had a bunch of suppliers there also doing demos. At my table we did the new Nature's Path Chia Plus frozen waffles which were like the most delicious thing ever!

I don't actually know any managers in that area, but their entire job is to be as helpful as possible to you. so hopefully they'll be able to help you out of your food rut.
Anyways, you can tell them your friend Norelle is a Team Leader in Buffalo.
Untitled by norelle!, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Follow https://www.facebook.com/pages/BabyCakes-NYC/41273320361 on facebook because occassionally they post some recipes. They are always vegan and mostly gluten free. Erin's first book was my first ever vegan book. Everything I've made from it is amazing and nicer than gluten/non-vegan stuff (except the vanilla frosting, that was only ok.)

Next payday I am totally getting the second book. Sod healthy..... I love baking!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks Norelle, that's awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

For the crispy fried "chicken," what about the cornmeal crusted tofu recipe from Vcon? I can't remember if the actual recipe is totally GF, but I have definitely made it GF for my celiac dad. It's really good, no crazy ingredients, and you can dip it in any sauce you like--salsa, ketchup, brava sauce.

For breakfast sandwiches, what about thinking more along breakfast tacos with corn tortillas? When we lived in the US, I liked to scramble up tofu with bell peppers, onions, and soyrizo, then eat it in a corn tortilla with avocado/potatoes/salsa. I do remember that soyrizo was one of the few GF fake meat products available, and also often at "normal" supermarkets, not just Trader Joes/Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ok, so the Organicville ranch dressing is ok. It's almost ranchy, but it's thin. I think I'm going to order the follow your heart ranch dressing online at some point. Or maybe try to make my own. Or maybe I'll just beg my whole foods to start carrying it cause they totally should anyway!

Tofu cutlets are on the menu this week!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I had one taste of the Organicville dressing and threw the bottle out. The Follow Your Heart is better, though still a bit too vinegary.

Making your own is still the best. Just mayo w/salt, garlic powder, black pepper, a tiny splash of vinegar (apple cider or something neutral), some other herbs/spices (some combination of dill, oregano, marjoram, basil, chives, parsley, finely chopped rosemary, and/or a tiny pinch of paprika), and a splash of milk to thin it to the right consistency. You can do a combo of mayo and sour cream, but I don't find that the sour cream is much different from soy milk and vinegar and involves opening another package of something that spoils.

I usually go with dill, oregano, and paprika, because I have them around and because parsley tastes like grass.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who helped me with this. This weekend I made gluten free pancakes for the first time and they were delicious! I also made two of the Bob red mill gluten free pizzas, but I still had issues with it. They were edible. But they stuck to my pizza stone really bad and didn't seem to cook all the way through. I think I've given up on the Bob's pizza for now and but I'm glad I tried it again. I also got a local small health food place near me to order the Vegan Ranch dressing. It was really expensive to have it shipped since it needs to be cold. But they are nice and said they would get a case in. So I'm really excited for that! And until then I am eating Tofu Chicken Salad over greens. So yummy!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/06/ol ... salad.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

GraciaKai wrote:
I also made two of the Bob red mill gluten free pizzas, but I still had issues with it. They were edible. But they stuck to my pizza stone really bad and didn't seem to cook all the way through. I think I've given up on the Bob's pizza for now and but I'm glad I tried it again.

When I used to cook gluten free I baked the pizza crusts first by themselves on parchment paper. The dough I used was sticky and I spread it over the paper in a circle. Once it was mostly cooked I could take it off the parchment and put it on a stone. I would put the toppings on and put it back in the oven until done.

I don't have the recipes I used but I found one interesting one here: http://cleangreensimple.com/2011/03/veg ... ree-pizza/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did pre-cook it alone with no toppings for 10 minutes on my stone. And it felt pretty much cooked to the touch after the 10 minutes. But it wasn't on the inside or at least underneath. And I put oil down on my stone before spreading out the dough. But it still stuck! My second one was a little better than the first. But I wasn't in love with either. The flavor was good. But we had to eat it with a fork because i was floppy in the center. The edges were great though, nice and crisp and brown.