| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camerons Stovetop Smoker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anyone have one of these? I saw the contestants using these smokers on an episode of Chopped, and now I want to smoke all the things. Would they be ridiculously smokey in a small apartment without a range hood?

Post subject: Re: Camerons Stovetop Smoker
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have one, and so does jfdunks. I live in an apartment and it is fine. I LOVE mine, even though I don't use it enough. My favourite smoked things so far have been (all kinds of) mushrooms, tomatoes, root veggies other than potatoes, tempeh and seitan, polenta, hot chiles, and garlic/shallots.

I totally recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:19 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have one too and love it. It doesn't get too smoky, though you'll find that when you leave the apartment and come back in again after smoking, your apartment will smell like bacon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have a small kitchen in my apartment and use a stovetop smoker occasionally. The smoky odor tends to linger, but isn't overwhelming and I've never had the smoke alarm go off when cooking with it.

One of my favorite things to smoke is seitan roast - not the whole thing, because it won't fit but about a quarter of the roast. Smoking changes the texture and makes the seitan easy to shred for barbecue. I use 2 forks to shred the seitan after it's cooled down a bit.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This thread reminds me that I need to pick mine up from Strawberryrock's apartment...

I have enjoyed it a lot. I've only used it indoors on an electric stove and my apartment is small, but you just....need to have the windows open the rest of the day. It's nothing awful. It's been noticeable, but it can get pretty smokey when I use my grill pan, too. It's worth it! If you're smoking stuff for dinner, you know, make sure you do it the night before guests arrive.
I've smoked fresh and baked tofu, seitan, garlic, potatoes (a favorite for adding to recipes and cheeses), tomatoes (go for cherry and do it quickly) mushrooms, tempeh, asparagus.... Definitely get some NICE wood chips. It makes a world of difference...tofu666 has recommendations, I believe. Pretty sure I hated mesquite.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just remembered something - when I bought my stovetop smoker, they included several varieties of wood chips to try. I stupidly threw them away by accident, so don't do that.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bump, bump

Has anyone used their smoker to make smoked coconut bacon? It's on my to-do list with all the talk over Phoney's and my growing meh-ness on liquid smoke.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I read a couple of comments about wood chips. From Tofu666's video clip I thought only wood chip powder is used with these smokers. Am I wrong? Plus, where do you get the chips/powders?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Max&Moritz wrote:
I read a couple of comments about wood chips. From Tofu666's video clip I thought only wood chip powder is used with these smokers. Am I wrong? Plus, where do you get the chips/powders?

I have only used wood chips (and all different sizes and flavors) in my stovetop smoker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've got a cold-smoker on the way, I'm going to put it in an old filing cabinet in the garden! Not strictly relevant but I was looking at the stovetop ones too and I'm very excited!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:26 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

We love smoked food and I am thinking about buying one of these smokers. I am going to have to order one online and so can not actually see in person how they work or what it is I'll be buying. Does anyone here have a suggestion as to what size might be best to get? We do entertain, but, generally speaking, my day to day cooking is just for my husband and myself. That makes me think the smaller size might be best. That said, I don't want to plunk down the money to buy one only to regret not going for the larger size smoker. Advise here would really be appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:56 am 
Nailed to the V

I only cook for 2, but I got the larger size one and I'm glad I did.

As far as chips go, I get the ones from Cameron's (via Amazon) which are much finer than the kind you'd see it at your local box stores. Almost more like shavings. Definitely get some of the milder ones, such as alder, maple, cherry, and apple. The hickory, oak, and mesquite are super strong.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

If you're on the fence about getting one, you can always rig up one using a wok and foil....

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:39 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Tamasin wrote:
I only cook for 2, but I got the larger size one and I'm glad I did.

As far as chips go, I get the ones from Cameron's (via Amazon) which are much finer than the kind you'd see it at your local box stores. Almost more like shavings. Definitely get some of the milder ones, such as alder, maple, cherry, and apple. The hickory, oak, and mesquite are super strong.

Thank you for your wonderful tips and insights. Without really knowing how these things work, reading the smoker dimensions listed online wasn't particularly useful. I also really appreciate your chip suggestions. I am feeling more informed and comfortable about placing an order. Thank you!

tofucheez wrote:
If you're on the fence about getting one, you can always rig up one using a wok and foil....

I had no idea! Then again, I am not all that clear how stovetop smokers work only that they do!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good source for information on smoking vegetables, tofu and the like?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Holy shiitake, I've wanted a smoker for so long but I assumed it would smoke up my apartment, we have an extractor fan that does absolutely nothing, and only one window pretty far away from the cooker, so just shallow frying stuff gets gross...but if you all reckon it's not too bad....i feel a purchase coming on...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

I put one on my Amazon wish list a few weeks ago, hoping the price goes down a bit before I get it. Whenever I go to a party at a friend's house he always smokes meat or something, and I always try to get him to throw in some tempeh or tofu, no luck.