| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seitan sausage without nutritional yeast?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I really want to try the steamed seitan sausage recipe from The Everyday Dish. I've seen versions (all online) with beans instead of chickpea flour, and different seasonings. However, they all seem to call for nutritional yeast, and I've had no luck finding it! Health food stores around here seem to only carry brewer's yeast, and the one place I've found online that carries Engevita Nutritional Yeast have been out of stock for a month.
Is there a good sub? Or a combination of things? I've seen nooch described as "nutty and cheesy" in flavour, how about a combination of sheese and nuts? Or miso, for savouriness?

Post subject: Re: Seitan sausage without nutritional yeast?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

it's a dry ingredient, so you could just add more vital wheat gluten to absorb the moisture - if you use soy sauce and other seasoning it'll probably be plenty flavorful. could you link us to the recipe you're planning to use?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
it's a dry ingredient, so you could just add more vital wheat gluten to absorb the moisture - if you use soy sauce and other seasoning it'll probably be plenty flavorful. could you link us to the recipe you're planning to use?

I would not add more gluten, primarily because I'm pretty sure it absorbs water very differently than nooch does. If anything, I would add a bit more whatever flour you're using. I've often cut back the nooch by half and made no additional substitutes with no ill effects.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

When the recipe calls for nutritional yeast as one of the seasonings, I just leave it out. I don't like the stuff at all. Blech.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bekki wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:

I would not add more gluten, primarily because I'm pretty sure it absorbs water very differently than nooch does. If anything, I would add a bit more whatever flour you're using. I've often cut back the nooch by half and made no additional substitutes with no ill effects.

i recently made two of the Vegan Brunch sausage recipes, and i added some extra gluten powder because the dough seemed a bit wet. the texture for both seemed fine once they were cooked.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Something like this http://www.theppk.com/2008/02/on-sausages-and-community/. It seems to be a hit with a lot of people.
Is nutritional yeast salty at all, should I use more salt?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

When I don't have nooch, I just leave it out of sausages and don't sub anything (or add a simdge of extra regular flour). They turn out fine.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:32 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

amonik wrote:
Something like this http://www.theppk.com/2008/02/on-sausages-and-community/. It seems to be a hit with a lot of people.

Nutritional yeast isn't salty. Don't increase the salt.

In the recipe above, I would make it as written, omitting the yeast. If the mixture seems a bit too wet, add a tablespoon or two of flour. I don't think you would want to sub an equal amount of flour for nutritional yeast because the flour is heavier. It won't hurt the finished seitan if the raw mixture is a bit damp. You just don't want it to be really wet and gloopy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 am 
Chard Martyr

I've both left it out and or subbed chickpea flour or soy flour and it comes out fine. seitan sausages are surprisingly forgiving.

The only time I had an extreme failure with them was when I made joanna's beer brats and didn't let the beer sit out long enough, so it was still fizzy when I made them. The sausages totally exploded in the steamer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:46 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Are you able to order from Amazon.com? That's where I get my nutritional yeast.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

vgnwitch wrote:
amonik wrote:

Nutritional yeast isn't salty. Don't increase the salt.

In the recipe above, I would make it as written, omitting the yeast. If the mixture seems a bit too wet, add a tablespoon or two of flour. I don't think you would want to sub an equal amount of flour for nutritional yeast because the flour is heavier. It won't hurt the finished seitan if the raw mixture is a bit damp. You just don't want it to be really wet and gloopy.

^ This exactly. I'm on team "I love nooch put it in everything" but when I'm tragically out of it, I just leave it out of recipes and add a bit of flour if need be. Your sausages will still be scrumptious, promise!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I agree with what others have said... based on that recipe I would just omit it, and if the texture is too "wet" just add a little flour to compensate. I have made seitan sausagey things in this way and they turned out fine. If you really can't find it locally, I'm pretty sure iHerb delivers to Sweden and they have several brands to choose from.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'll probably get my hands on some nooch sooner or later (I definitely want to try it), but now I feel confident about trying sausage recipes without it! Beans are defrosting right now and I'll probably get mixing and steaming tonight after dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we do have some members in Sweden, you might want to check out the regional forum (the square) for that area.
if not, i'm sure i've seen several european members talk about ordering products online.

we simply don't have nutritional yeast here and i bring it when i travel -and use it VERY sparingly. it provides a cheesy, umami kind of flavor that you might approach (not replace, but approach) with miso. make sure you reduce your wet ingredients accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 am 
Huffs Nooch

Amonik, I live in Denmark, and Sweden is so much more veggie friendly than DK is, so I am sure you can easily get your hands on some "bjäst flingor". MATAS sells it in DK. And most health food shops should have some as well, they do here.

lycka till ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Have you checked the supplement section of the health food stores? Here in the Netherlands, it took me a while to find the nutritional yeast because it wasn't with the foods but rather with the supplements. Also, it helped to know what I was looking for. For the longest time I thought it just wasn't available here, and then I realized I just had no idea what the Dutch name for it would be (edelgist). Once I figured out the name and where it was hiding, I suddenly started to see it everywhere.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I always ordered it from Amazon before I lived near a Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

A lot of the vendors that sell food on Amazon won't ship to Europe. I've just checked three brands (Bob's Red Mill, Red Star, and KAL) and none of them will ship to Europe. (Sometimes it says right away on the product page that it won't ship to your default address, sometimes you have to go through checkout to discover this.)

I've never had a problem with iHerb though. I think they ship everywhere within Europe, and if you keep your package under 4 lbs, the shipping costs are doable. That said, if you can find a local source, even better, and I see that there's a wikipedia page in Swedish about nutritional yeast, so I suspect there should be somewhere in the country you can get it. Like someone already mentioned, there are a few Swedish PPKers active here. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:47 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I still haven't checked this out myself, but you should be able to find it here. There's a branch 500m from me, but they're always closed when I go shopping, so I'm just using the box I got from Germany and I brought back a container of Engevita from England when I was there recently. If you're going to try Amazon, I would go with UK or DE.

ETA: Goodstore.se seems to have Engevita, but you have to search for "Marigold" on their site to find it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'll look into it! Meanwhile, the sausages are tasty. I forgot the instructions and made ten tiny ones, which work fine in a bun with ketchup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Shamini wrote:
Amonik, I live in Denmark, and Sweden is so much more veggie friendly than DK is, so I am sure you can easily get your hands on some "bjäst flingor". MATAS sells it in DK. And most health food shops should have some as well, they do here.

lycka till ;)

Tack! Bjäst is everywhere, but seems to be quite different in flavour. The online vendor I keep looking at is veganlife.se (have ordered stuff from them before) and I've been to a few health food stores in Borås and Gothenburg, but no luck so far. It feels a lot less urgent now that I was able to make great sausages without it though :-D

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]