| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone bought Willpowder carageenan?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I ordered a pound of it and just figured out that it is why my cheddar isn't setting up properly and has a funky texture. I went to use it to make Pub Cheddar again and it would not dissolve in the beer and it stunk so bad I wound up throwing the beer mixture out and starting using the other brand I have. In contrast, it thickened up the second it touched the liquid and has no smell at all.

Anyway, it looks like I'm out nearly $40 plus the cost of a batch of cashew cheese ($6-7). I'm wondering if I just got a bad batch or if this is a regular occurrence.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone bought Willpowder carageenan?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

hey...i have it. i wonder if that's why i've hated all the cheese i've made. err...i threw out my jack cheese because it tasted so bad, and it was only after I added the carrageenan that this happened.
They have really good customer service though, so I'd definitely contact them. Maybe I should, too.

I didn't have any thickening issues though. maybe i'll try a cheese with agar and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
hey...i have it. i wonder if that's why i've hated all the cheese i've made. err...i threw out my jack cheese because it tasted so bad, and it was only after I added the carrageenan that this happened.
They have really good customer service though, so I'd definitely contact them. Maybe I should, too.

I didn't have any thickening issues though. maybe i'll try a cheese with agar and see what happens.

I hope I solved your cheese woes! I contacted amazon and they're refunding the full amount, which is awesome. I'm still sad to be out an entire batch of cheese (and it was so freaking amazing prior to the gritty carrageenan) but very happy to have the refund.

The Iota carrageenan I have is from molecularrecipes.com (via amazon) and works really well and is taste and smell neutral. I'm going to order the Kappa from them as soon as they get it in stock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:37 am 
Saggy Butt

I was going to order that! So glad I saw this first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:34 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I wish I had found this thread weeks ago... so many cashews wasted. I too bought some Willpowder carrageenan (and about 6 other magical additives) and it makes everything smell and taste like pond water. blech!

I tried some from Molecule-R and it is a different world. The powder itself is finer and almost pure white. It has only the faintest seaweed odor and actually completely dissolves in solution and imparts no noticeable flavor at all. Even in plain water you can just barely taste it.

The Willpowder agar also smells and ruins the flavor of everything it touches. I'm going to try Molecule-R's agar to see if it's just as amazing as their "Kc".