| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Low carb veganism?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It was lovely! I might scale back the gluten next time, but I'm definitely making it again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That's great Gulliver! Did you find the bread gummy with this amount of gluten? For me it comes out just the way I like it, but maybe your gluten powder has more gluten than mine?

I finally learned to eat seaweed, and now I love it! For lunch I made nori wraps filled with hummus, grated carrot, sauteed seitan strips, pickles and sesame seeds. They had very few carbs (could've been less if I used some kind of nut cream cheese instead of hummus) and were extremely filling. Sadly no pictures, because I have not yet mastered the art of rolling a neat roll.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 am 
Impressive boner

Cornelie wrote:
Thanks emmalv!

8ball, what did you use as a binder for the cauliflower base? Most recipes I come across have a million eggs, and I was wondering what to use instead.

I used ground flax instead. I soaked 2tbsp in hot water for a few minutes, and added another 1/4 cup of dry ground flax, or thereabouts (didn't measure exactly) to the mix. The Lucky Penny blog has a good vegan recipe that I loosely followed and it was super-yummy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

8ball wrote:
Cornelie wrote:
Thanks emmalv!

8ball, what did you use as a binder for the cauliflower base? Most recipes I come across have a million eggs, and I was wondering what to use instead.

I used ground flax instead. I soaked 2tbsp in hot water for a few minutes, and added another 1/4 cup of dry ground flax, or thereabouts (didn't measure exactly) to the mix. The Lucky Penny blog has a good vegan recipe that I loosely followed and it was super-yummy.

I just made cauliflower crusts using this recipe, and it was awesome!

http://detoxinista.com/2014/02/vegan-ca ... zza-crust/

I doubled it as I had a large cauliflower. One tip I have, before you drain the cooked cauliflower "rice" line the colander with cheesecloth. Then you can just lift it out of the colander into a bowl to cool in the freezer, and once it's cooled you can just squeeze it in the cheesecloth to get all the moisture out. The pizza was delicious, topped it with white bean pesto and VWAV tempeh sausage crumbles.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made bread again, but with less gluten (measured by eye, it's equal parts gluten, hemp flour, soya flour and bran) and some crushed flax seeds. The hemp flour makes is a slightly odd colour (think German ryebread/black bread but green. I'm fairly sure I have a sinus-related gluten intolerance(that I largely ignore), so lowering the gluten content is probably advisable.

The rise was good, the texture is good. Almost certainly more carbsy, but probably about 30% protein. I'm happy with that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks, hemp flour sounds nice! Probably gives a nice flavor too. I don't mind green bread. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

made a nice succotash for dinner yesterday - mostly lima beans, mixed with kale, corn, onions, celery, and carrot with applewood smoked salt-and-pepper tofu crumbles and finished with a few spoonfuls of creamy cashew cheese.

very tasty and satisfying and if my calculations are right, just about 15g carbs per serving.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

For dinner - tempeh tikka masala featuring my homemade unsweetened soy yogurt, crushed tomatoes, and a spice blend packet I bought more than two years ago that was still very, very spicy. Child and spouse had it with rice and peas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6