| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Low carb veganism?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Ariann, that goodgoodthings recipe is interesting. I've never used a milk to make seitan before. I'm wondering if you can even tell a difference. It doesn't seem like it would be discernible, but I'll try it anyway. Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It is the only simmered seitan recipe I have made that has been worth eating. Could be my bad cooking, could be that her recipe is magic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:01 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Good to know...thanks!

And I need to fire up my dehydrator here in the next few days, anyway, so I'll turn some into jerky, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm impressed with <50 g carbs. I'm doing about 100-150 day, and I'm still having a hard time getting enough calories.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Granted, I am losing a lot of weight (which I am happy about, and which was necessary), so I really doubt <50g and vegan is a sustainable weight-maintaining kind of thing in the long term. Also, my diet is crazy boring. Looking forward to a day when such drastic measures are not needed. I would never in a million years do this if it weren't for the greater good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

mollyjade wrote:
.....................and I'm still having a hard time getting enough calories.

I don't think I've ever known anyone, ever, to have this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 pm 

tofucheez wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

It's honestly a really common problem for some people. Everyone has a different body and set of circumstances, and they're all fine.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mollyjade wrote:
tofucheez wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

It's honestly a really common problem for some people. Everyone has a different body and set of circumstances, and they're all fine.

+1

Eating low carb really curbs my appetite somehow. Don't know if it's the extra protein, or fewer glucose fluctuations or what. My pants were getting a little tight, so I don't mind for now, but I have to see how this develops. Maybe add more fat to my food? I do enjoy having more stable energy levels throughout the day, and not feeling hungry/thinking about snacks all the time.

Mr. Cornelie eats between 50-100 g carbs a day, except for the occasional snack and the pasta we ate at my mother in law's last night. He wants to loose weight, so the calories are not a problem for him. I sometimes eat legumes for lunch, wheat crackers and dried fruit for snacks, so my carb count is probably more in the 100-150 range.

What do your daily menus look like Ariann and Mollyjade?

Right now the Mr.'s diet is something like this:
Breakfast: soy yoghurt with some nuts and berries or green smoothie with avocado, veggies and sugarfree fruit syrup (10-15 g carbs)
Lunch: tofu scramble with veggies or a stir fry with seitan (15-20 g carbs)
Dinner: some type of curry or casserole with lots of veggies and protein (25-40 g carbs)
Dessert: an almond/flax brownie, silken tofu chocolate mousse or fruit sorbet (3-10 g carbs)
Snacks: nuts, flax crackers, lc fruit, veggies etc. (3-10 g carbs per serving)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Cornelie wrote:
Right now the Mr.'s diet is something like this:
Breakfast: soy yoghurt with some nuts and berries or green smoothie with avocado, veggies and sugarfree fruit syrup (10-15 g carbs)
Lunch: tofu scramble with veggies or a stir fry with seitan (15-20 g carbs)
Dinner: some type of curry or casserole with lots of veggies and protein (25-40 g carbs)
Dessert: an almond/flax brownie, silken tofu chocolate mousse or fruit sorbet (3-10 g carbs)
Snacks: nuts, flax crackers, lc fruit, veggies etc. (3-10 g carbs per serving)

Cornelie, the almond/flax brownie sounds great! Do you have a recipe for sharing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:44 am 

I'm still experimenting to find the recipe I like the most, but it's usually something like this:

2 tablespoons soy flour or protein isolate
2 tablespoons almond flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 tablespoon flaxmeal
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
low carb sweetener to taste (I use liquid stevia, but you can use anything you want)
1/3 cup soymilk or water

Mix everything together into a thick batter. Divide batter over two mugs, cover in plastic wrap and microwave on high for about a minute. Allow to cool and munch. This makes two very small servings, but since it is quite dense and heavy on the stomach, you probably won't want more than a small serving anyway.

I bet you could also put the mixture in two muffin pans and bake it in an oven at 375 for 20 minutes. You can play around with the ingredients a lot, like add a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten for texture, use nut butter instead of oil, increase the amount of flax or almond flour, leave out the soy etc. As long as your batter is thick and gloppy when it goes into the microwave/oven, the result will be okay. The flax takes care of the binding. A slightly wetter batter will make chocolate pudding. Also good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 am 

Today it's

breakfast: Kashi Go Lean Crisp with unsweetened soy milk
lunch: tofu scramble sandwich on sourdough (it's lower glycemic index) with unsweetened applesauce and a salad
snack: soy yogurt
dinner: bean and veggie tacos
snack: hot cocoa and peanut butter

It's about 15 g carbs per snack, 30 g for breakfast, and 45 g carbs for lunch and dinner

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

mollyjade wrote:
tofucheez wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

Oh no! I wasn't trying to imply that anything wasn't fine about it. I just meant that all you (general you) usually hear about is people wanting to lose weight/cut calories, etc. Even the super fit gals at the gym talk about ways to cut calories. I hope I didn't offend!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My diet is generally tofu for breakfast, seitan for lunch, tempeh for dinner, somewhere in there a couple low carb veggies and a serving of fruit. Boring.

What I have noticed lately is when I have an off day and eat a lot more carbs I feel horrible the next day. Major gastrointestinal symptoms. I am suffering through that right now, thanks to some rice and beans I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:
My diet is generally tofu for breakfast, seitan for lunch, tempeh for dinner, somewhere in there a couple low carb veggies and a serving of fruit. Boring.

What I have noticed lately is when I have an off day and eat a lot more carbs I feel horrible the next day. Major gastrointestinal symptoms. I am suffering through that right now, thanks to some rice and beans I guess.

Do you season it at all? About how many calories does this turn out to be? Even if it's boring, sometime the routine of eating like this can help I think.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, I am liberal with seasonings, marinades, etc., if also low carb. Trying to avoid counting the calories, but it must be low. I am okay with whatever it is as long as I am not hungry. I also often eat things like nates meatballs cooked in chik'n broth, miso soup with tofu, stuff like that. Salt helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ariann wrote:

Nope, I think it was just a stomach bug.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Last night I discovered that an actually pretty delicious good hiyayako could be created from Nasoya silken tofu, soy sauce, sesame oil, and scallions. I'm having it for lunch now as well. Yummo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not eating low carb by any definition of low carb but I am trying to mix up my diet. I figured I'd share. This morning, I made an amaranth/quinoa porridge and mixed in 1 tbsp almond butter which kept me full for 4 hours. 4 hours.

Then I decided that I should utilize my amaranth/quinoa as an experiment for lunch so I mixed 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter into the porridge, mixed in a handful of kale and topped with smoked tofu. I then added chopped mint and some peanuts on top. (note to self, add sriracha next time). It was 400 calories total and about 24g protein.

I'm thinking that next time I should bake some peanut butter tofu myself (soy sauce, sriracha, peanut butter) and used a firmer quinoa or quinoa/amaranth mixture.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 pm 

linanil wrote:
I'm not eating low carb by any definition of low carb but I am trying to mix up my diet. I figured I'd share. This morning, I made an amaranth/quinoa porridge and mixed in 1 tbsp almond butter which kept me full for 4 hours. 4 hours.

Then I decided that I should utilize my amaranth/quinoa as an experiment for lunch so I mixed 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter into the porridge, mixed in a handful of kale and topped with smoked tofu. I then added chopped mint and some peanuts on top. (note to self, add sriracha next time). It was 400 calories total and about 24g protein.

I'm thinking that next time I should bake some peanut butter tofu myself (soy sauce, sriracha, peanut butter) and used a firmer quinoa or quinoa/amaranth mixture.

I sometimes do quinoa flakes, unsweetened soy milk, nooch, and spinach/kale.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

linalil, that pb tofu bowl sounds awesome (and totally good for you, too!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm 

Since it's root veggie season, we've been making lots of bowls. Cubed root veggies, maybe something leafy, a protein, a sauce, no grain. It makes dinner really easy, especially if I have the sauce already prepared. I find the root veggies are very filling, so they make a good bowl. LC winter veggies that are nice in bowls: rutabaga, celeriac, pumpkin, carrots, beets, brussel sprouts, kale. I like them with miso gravy, peanut sauce or a creamy/cheesy sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

For dinner I had a big package of silken tofu simmered in one cup of Osem chik'n broth, a splash of soy sauce, several shakes of garlic powder and ginger powder, a squeeze of sriracha, a little sesame oil, and a slurry of water and half a tablespoon of cornstarch. All for 10 grams of carbs. If you had more carbs to spend, I'd add peas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 pm 

I <3 nooch. I got 20 g protein from nooch alone today.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

my happy meter just broke - I was hoping to find some LC vegans... haven't even read the thread yet - had to shout for joy first!

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Chuck Palahniuk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:55 am 

Welcome to the PPK zero33!

The low carbism has been slacking on my end (although I just had a lovely kale salad with tempeh bacon and a miso-tahini dressing for lunch). I could use some fresh inspiration. What sort of stuff do you like to eat?

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next