| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foolproof whipped coconut cream?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:56 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

so i've been hankering for a black forest cake, but have never been able to successfully whip up coconut cream. I think having a whipped-cream like topping will really make or break what i'm imagining in my head, since my grandma used to make a black forest cake with whipped cream and that's what i've been feeling nostalgic for.

in the past, i tried following this to a T a couple times, but the mixture only ever got to what i'd describe as really melted whipped cream before actually starting to melt and ending up liquid. and it was always a total letdown after going on a wild goose chase for milk that would separate, refrigerating it over night, freezing the bowl etc,

i have whisks, decent hand mixer, low-end food processor, blender, immersion blender, (might be a stretch to use those last ones to whip cream?)

is there something i can add to help it firm up? more sugar? tapioca? agar? cornstarch? xantham gum?cream of tartar? could i somehow make an aquafaba based whipped cream (though i'd be worried the water would make the cake soggy?) is there anything that would be a decent sub for the coconut whipped cream? any insight would be appreciated - i don't mind being experimental to make up a recipe that will work.

Post subject: Re: Foolproof whipped coconut cream?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've made a whipped cream recipe. It does involve a few steps. http://www.magicjelly.com.au/vegan-jamb ... pped-cream If you're looking for something simpler, I veganise this http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/581/ol ... d-frosting Here's another of my recipes that technically isn't a whipped cream, it's more of a thick cream, but if you make it with melted coconut oil instead of an oil that's liquid at room temperature (or a combination of both) it is really thick and stable enough to frost a cake http://www.magicjelly.com.au/vegan-jamb ... -cream-etc If you favour coconut cream or milk, you could use that in any of them instead of soy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:56 pm 

oooh that first one for the firm cream looks promising! i'm going to give it a go sometime this week. thanks for so many options to dig into :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for the links! I'm going to give them a try too. I am starting to think there is something seriously wrong with me, because years ago I was able to whip coconut cream successfully all the time, and lately no matter what brand I use it just fails to whip and separates into a liquidy-grainy mess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

I have had a lot of problems finding coconut mikk without guar gum lately, and it won't whip properly if it has any gums or stabilizers. Brands that used to be just coconut and water have added guar gum. I swear it's like they know vegans found something good, so they take it away from us. I have had better luck when I shop in Asian markets. That may be why you are having trouble though.

If you aren't comitted to making it yourself, i really like the so delicious coco whip.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:51 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Vegan dad has a recipe for coconut whipped cream with agar agar: http://vegandad.blogspot.nl/2011/09/coc ... pping.html
I never tried though, so not sure how foolproof it is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just found organic coconut milk without guar gum at Trader Joe's (I think it's new, but I'm not sure), but when I tried to whip the cream it basically just became coconut butter and never whipped up. It didn't separate though, so I guess that's a step up from what normally happens for me!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:41 pm 

ahhhh mandycoot nooo! i'm sorry it didn't work out.

thanks for the tip on the so delicious whip, DEG. didn't know they made that.

oh, and the vegan dad link makes me think you might be able to save coconut milk that won't whip up with some agar. interesting.

i was feeling experimental and whipped up some chickpea juice & sugar because i just cooked some chickpeas and had it on hand. i don't know what it is, but even when it's really firm it still tastes watery to me? so i tried to stream in some coconut oil just to see what would happen... and it deflated. then i tried adding some soy lecithin to see if it was an emulsion issue but it still didn't whip up. my thinking on the coconut oil was that it would help it taste a bit richer, and make it firmer after refrigerating... but at this point, whatever i did was not successful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:19 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Isa's Rad Whip cashew and coconut milk (and coconut oil) recipe is a little fussy, but manageable.
http://www.theppk.com/2011/04/rad-whip/

The So Delicious Coco Whip is really good!

I've never had much luck with most of the current coconut whipped cream recipes.