| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need a good cut-out cookie recipe
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:55 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So one of my last non-vegan hold outs, is making my mom's cut-out cookie recipe. The cookies get really fluffy, more cake like and not sweet like a sugar cookie. The problem is that there are 5 eggs in the recipe, so it's not like I can just try egg replacer or a banana or something. I still make these cookies once a year at Christmas, but I really want to find a vegan recipe that I can use instead. The only ones I've tried have been too flat, or too sweet, or not cake-y enough, or don't hold up to rolling and cookie cutters. Any suggestions? Thank you oh wonderful ppk bakers.

Here is the recipe in case that helps some for reference:
2 cups sugar
1 cup margarine
1sp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
5 cups flour
and 5 eggs :(

Post subject: Re: need a good cut-out cookie recipe
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 am 
And you never will.

I don't know about cakey, but I have a sugar cookie recipe that I always used and have just replaced the (two) eggs with egg replacer. I wouldn't try replacing more than that, though. Do your cookies spread a lot? It seems like it would with that many eggs, but if you're using them for cut-outs I guess they hold their shape?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I use this one from Vegan Heartland. They stay soft and actually get better after a couple days.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 am 

The cookies don't spread out much, they mostly rise up and get poofy. I think it's the cream of tartar that helps that the most.

The Vegan Heartland picture looks very similar to the end result of my non-vegan recipe, so I'll try that one next.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The texture of the V'con Pistachio Rose Water Cookies reminds me a lot of the soft cakey store bought sugar cookies I used to love pregan. The flavoring could easily be changed to make them just plain vanilla, not pistachio rose water, but I have no idea if they would hold up to rolling out and cutting out and then hold a cut out shape through baking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

chiveggie wrote:
The cookies don't spread out much, they mostly rise up and get poofy. I think it's the cream of tartar that helps that the most.

The Vegan Heartland picture looks very similar to the end result of my non-vegan recipe, so I'll try that one next.

As I understand it, cream of tartar is used to make a dough more acidic/lower pH so that it will allow the baking soda to react and provide its leavening properties. I think baking powder has an agent that does this, but cookie doughs only using baking soda generally have another ingredient making the dough more acidic. Not very helpful in figuring out the egg problem, but hopefully useful in understanding where the cream of tartar might be contributing... I hope you'll post your results with the Vegan Heartland recipe. I'm really interested to see how it turns out!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

here is the recipe i've always used.

1 cup earth balance
2 c sugar
1/4 c packed brown sugar
2 flax eggs (i have been meaning to try pureed tofu as well as egg replacer, but flax works for me.)
6 tablespoons soymilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 c all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

cream/mix in standard order. chill. roll. cut. 350 for 10-12 minutes.

i was also looking at joanna's recipe the other day. http://www.joannavaught.com/2012/10/04/ ... ar-cookie/

and here's a glaze recipe that dries hard and is easily veganizable. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ ... aze-recipe

on the old boards there was a recipe from some bakesale cookies in the nyc forum that were some of the best sugar cookies i've ever had. i remember that it was a basic sugar cookie recipe with blended tofu as the egg replacer. wish i had saved it! (anybody remember? green and purple iced dinosaur shaped cookies from the april 2010 bakesale at mooshoes?)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yes! those cookies from the bakesale were so good. I have the recipe saved. I made them last year and they ruled.

Vegan Sugar Cookie

3 tbsp extra firm silken tofu, mashed
1/2 cup earth balance
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

cream butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until fluffy

add mashed tofu and vanilla. mix well.

in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. (i mixed it with a spoon a bit and then my hands to create a ball of dough)

chill the dough in plastic wrap for an hour

preheat oven to 350

roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters

bake for about ten minutes. I rolled these out pretty thick because i like doughy cookies. and then i took them out of the oven as soon as they got golden.

Then I made this icing:

PERFECT VEGAN ICING RECIPE
Each batch is enough to easily coat 24 cookies.

2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon of almond or vanilla extract
6-8 teaspoons of soy milk (Silk Vanilla) Assorted food coloring
4 teaspoons of light corn syrup

Directions:
1. In medium bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and soy milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
2. Add food coloring to desired intensity. Dip cookies and allow to dry overnight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

you might actually be able to sub those eggs for some yogurt and a little extra starch because your recipe looks like it's probably doubled. 5 cups of flour and 2 cups of sugar, does not a regular cookie recipe make. i'd give it a go and see how they are!

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ijustdiedinside wrote:
yes! those cookies from the bakesale were so good. I have the recipe saved. I made them last year and they ruled.

Vegan Sugar Cookie

3 tbsp extra firm silken tofu, mashed
1/2 cup earth balance
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

cream butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until fluffy

add mashed tofu and vanilla. mix well.

in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. (i mixed it with a spoon a bit and then my hands to create a ball of dough)

chill the dough in plastic wrap for an hour

preheat oven to 350

roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters

bake for about ten minutes. I rolled these out pretty thick because i like doughy cookies. and then i took them out of the oven as soon as they got golden.

Then I made this icing:

PERFECT VEGAN ICING RECIPE
Each batch is enough to easily coat 24 cookies.

2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon of almond or vanilla extract
6-8 teaspoons of soy milk (Silk Vanilla) Assorted food coloring
4 teaspoons of light corn syrup

Directions:
1. In medium bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and soy milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
2. Add food coloring to desired intensity. Dip cookies and allow to dry overnight.

yay!

i also realized chiveggie, you might be talking about cookies that are like the lofthouse brand from the grocery store? the soft round ones with icing and sprinkles..the cookies themselves aren't that sweet.

here's a blog post i found which doesn't have a recipe, but i'm going to assume she veganized this recipe.

she says
Quote:
The secret to these cookies' moistness is the Tofutti sour cream and silken tofu. The first gives the cookies incredible softness and takes an edge off the sweetness and the latter acts as a binder and gives the cookies a wonderful texture.

also, here's one more recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm 

Looks like I'll be spending the rest of the week making cookies :) Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm not sure what the lofthouse brand is. The recipe does make quite a lot of cookies, I've never cut it in half since it was always for Christmas cookies and we made a ton. I'll play around and see what works.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

this (not vegan) recipe looks super fluffy and only has 2 eggs. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soft-sugar-cookies-iv/

I think you should try your grandmas recipe, but halve it and sub 2 eggs. that sounds a lot easier.