| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: homemade hummus question?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I use the recipe in Ecological Cooking, but I double the garlic and add a tsp of onion powder. I get mad compliments on it when I take it to parties and what not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:29 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh, I really like using onion and garlic powder too! I forgot that I have done that before. It came out really nice. I love garlic, but my processor sucks, and I hate finding chunks of garlic in my hummus.

Ugh. another reason I need someone to buy me a vitamix. I need a sugar daddy. Well, a hummus daddy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ok, I made a big batch of hummus last night on my crappy food processor. I decided to take the garlic, tahini and salt and blend all of that FIRST until it was a smooth paste

Then I added half the chickpeas (about 3/4 cup warm just cooked) with about half a teaspoon of oil and some warm chickpea water.

THEN I added the rest of the chickpeas (about a cup), plus my spices (salt, cumin, corriander, paprika and cayanne - it was a spicy one!). I kept adding warm cooking water, probably a third a cup total, and at the very end, another teaspoon or so of oil.

My hummus came out very very smooth. Not quite like store bought, but some of the smoothest I have had in a while. I attribute it to making a past of the garlic, lemon and tahini first.

I bet if I put half a cup of olive oil in there, and more tahini (I used about half a tablespoon), it would have been store bought consistancy. It came out to be about 80 calories for a 1/4 cup serving. About 8 servings. Not bad. I really reccomend the method I used in the first step.