| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help- suggestions for potluck?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:52 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I know this is a very commonly asked thing and I did look at some of the other threads but I can't think right now.

I'm going to a shared meal on Saturday and am struggling to decide what dish to bring. We've been told:
Quote:
We are hoping that everyone might be able to bring a contribution which we can all share.

I will be co-ordinating the food so I'd be grateful if you would kindly let me know whether you would prefer to bring a vegetarian main course or a pudding to feed 6 people. It is really helpful for me to know what you're planning to bring in advance so that I can ensure we don't end up with one pot of curry and 26 cheesecakes. Not necessarily a disaster now I think about it, but still...

Hopefully this will provide more than enough to feed the 25 to 30 people we are expecting. The Hall has a well-equipped, modern kitchen so we can easily heat up your dishes if required.

LCV will supply the necessary rice / pasta / breads, hot beverages and soft drinks.

I think I'll bring a main dish as I'd rather eat something deliciously savoury than eat salad and dessert, if other vegan options are poor. (I'm going to email the organiser and ask that people label whether or not each dish contains dairy, eggs, honey so at least I'll know.)

So I need a main dish that I can make without a blender or food processor, which can be prepared either in the morning or the night before, then sit in my fridge for a few hours- we are going for a walk from 2pm to 3.15pm, then having a discussion from 3.30pm before the meal. So I'll either pop back and transfer my dish from my kitchen to the event kitchen at 3.15pm or 6.15pm, whichever's more convenient.

Cookbooks I have with me:
"Appetite for Reduction"
"Another Dinner is Possible" by Isy and Mike
"The Really Useful Ultimate Student Vegetarian Cook Book" by Helen Aitken
"The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cook Book" by Silvana Franco
"Vegetarian Comfort Food" by Jennifer Warren

and I have internet access for recipes on the PPK blog etc.

Soup or stew aren't very suitable for a potluck, are they?
I really like chickpea piccata and I don't think it'd be too likely to go wrong. If I made that and a separate container of caulipots what would be the best way to reheat them?

Post subject: Re: Help- suggestions for potluck?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Personally, I wouldn't have any problems bringing a thick stew to a potluck. If it were me, I'd probably make the Butternut Jambalaya or the Root Veggie Dahl from AFR.

Chickpea picatta sounds delicious, but isn't it kind of soupy too?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 am 
Semen Strong

I would do the chickpea piccata which would be super-yum over the rice they are providing, and just not bother with the caulipots.

What do you have available for reheating - could you use a microwave in the event kitchen?

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

At the potlucks I go to, we ask everyone to bring a notecard listing all the ingredients. That way you cover all bases, from allergies to gluten-free, to raw, as well as vegan. I agree with others on the chickpea piccata.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:16 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Thanks. After typing that out and realising I could think of an option, I almost thought there was no point in posting. But I needed the reassurance.

It is a wet sauce rather than a lasagne or quiche or pie you can have a chunk of, but I think it'll be fine.

I was planning on bringing a little note of ingredients in case anyone has dietary requirements, but in the information we've been given we haven't been told to do anything like that, so maybe not everyone else will. But I'm off to email the organiser now so maybe they will!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

If this isn't a vegan potluck I would be skeptical about the rice and pasta not having butter. It is typical for folks to use butter as a final prep for those things so if you go thinking that you can count on using one of them to compliment your meal you might be setting yourself up for a disappointment. Just kind of an FYI.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

^^ yep I was thinking the same thing.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I generally err on the side of bringing something cold.. like a chickpea or quinoa salad, etc. At least I know I will have enough food to eat.

Lately I have been going to vegan potlucks and branching out to sides, etc, though. A few of my recent hits for potlucks are listed here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2013/11 ... -and-mint/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:53 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

It went really well. They had great facilities for reheating, the organiser made slips of paper so people could label their dishes and tick if they contained dairy, eggs, honey, peppers or nuts (someone else must have mentioned allergies).

So I feasted on spicy aubergines, spinach and potato dhal, chilli, vegetable stew, rice, avocado salsa, chickpea piccata and an interesting salad with beetroot, sweetcorn and black olives in. All homemade. There was also a bowl of cherry tomatoes, a bowl of lettuce, a bowl of mixed salad greens and plenty of accidentally vegan crisps (potato chips).
I'd decided to bring chocolate mousse as well (and overheard several people raving about how good it was) and there was stewed apple and fresh grapes as other suitable dessert.
And to drink there was water, apple juice, orange juice, elderflower cordial and strawberry & apple cordial.

Oh, such a good meal. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and reassurance!