| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: October Food Spending Challenge!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:39 pm 
And you never will.

I'm at $61 now. I bought grapes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've spent $10. Looks like I may not shop again until the 10th due to not working last week (my boss decided that since I couldn't work for a couple days, I wasn't going to work the whole week). Buh. Luckily, we have a shiitake ton of food here. I'm a freezing maniac.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I think to make life easier for myself, I'm going to keep track by paycheque, rather than by month. I get paid every other Tuesday, so I pulled out $160 for the two week span. I'm in the middle right now, and I've still got $95 left, and don't need to go to the store for a few more days, other than to pick up a few bananas for breakfasts. Doing so well this time around!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ordererd pizza last night (22.50$) as I was way too exhausted to even cook anything, and also bought 3 red peppers two days ago (2.50$)
Total: 245$ left

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm trying to really, really limit my dine-out and take-out spending this month, since I spent way too much last week in Chicago and I'm going to NYC the week after next and try as I might, I know I'll want to pick up tabs for my sister and brother, so I'll try and stick to falafel and bagels for those bills. My kitchen inventory of dried grains and spices is seemingly never ending, I make most things entirely from-scratch and I have a giant block of tempeh in the freezer that my girlfriend bought, so I'm doing well there and sticking to my food stamps allotment. I pick up the vast majority of groceries for two and my girlfriend tends to buy the specialty items.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm in! Although I won't set a budget since I'm not sure what we spend right now, but I'll keep track of our spendings and report in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

£45.64 (one measley bottle of cider at the pub was £3.60...okay, it was nice cider).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 pm 
Semen Strong

I just spent $112 at Trader Joes, but not one item was over $5. My top 2 were $4.69 for 3 organic peppers and $3.49 for gyoza. It should last us 2 weeks easy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

I've spent $137.46 through the first seven days, $81.88 on groceries and $55.58 eating out. $17.23 of the eating out was a post-track dinner with my team and totally worth it. The rest was snacks and lunches at work, which is totally ridiculous because I had done groceries prior and if I'd cooked what I bought, I would have had lunches ready. That's what I want to get away from.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Total stands at £52.78. I had to get more oats for my overnight oats, and while I was buying them at Morrisons the Glorious Thai Carrot soups were still on offer for £1 each so I bought 3 of those to take to work for lunch on some days. And I got a bottle of Westons reserve cider as it was on offer too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

So we spent approximately $100 this week on groceries, but that does not include the bulk items we bought (cashews, a box of 100 garbage bags, etc). I'm not really sure how to factor those into our weekly budget since the stuff is going to last us a month or two.

And we only ate out twice! That's exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Bought a few more grocery items (26.30$) and went out for our dating anniversary dinner (31$)

Total: 187.70$ left

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

gramps has been feeling junk foody lately. we had burgers and tacos the past week, and we're now $5.88 over budget with a week left to go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I made it! $98 for groceries for the first week of October (Sat-Fri). I spent $89 on food over the weekend for our big shop (more on supplements. personal care and household products but I'm not counting that), and I should only need a little produce mid-week. Ate out once this month so far but used up a gift card so only spent $17.

My challenge is making food at home while my husband is out of town. When he's not home I don't have a big incentive to cook.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tomorrow is the end of our two weeks' worth of cash, (then it starts over again), and we took out $160. I have $20 left that will go towards bananas and a few veggies today. But our budget worked out really well this time - we were even able to grab coffee twice. I think the best thing we've done so far is keep our trips to the grocery store much less frequent, because it forces us to use up leftovers and pantry items that otherwise ended up getting tossed, and we also have less opportunities to impulse buy.

Tomorrow is the first day back to school for my partner, so between his full-time school and my maternity leave, we are going to be super tight for money. I'm glad we have already been working on spending less for groceries, because it's getting a lot easier already!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:51 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have spent £50.20 for this week (my budget is £50). It would have been less but I treated myself to pizza as it was my birthday at the weekend. There's no reason for me to buy anything else this week as I easily have enough food for dinners and lunches, so the challenge will be not to buy extra stuff I don't need.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm at $47 for the month so far. I ended up spending too much at the local co-op because I was craving sweets (I'm currently blaming my period but it was really just me wanting sugar, I think). Hoping to keep this week's amount really low but I discovered one part of a larger dish is incredibly moldy after only a week. Not sure how it got there in three days from when I last ate out of it (travel). So that means I have to get some more tater-like root veggies to use as a base again as well as food for the rest of my meals.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:20 pm 

Shopping in two days! Making a soup out of the leftover veggies in the fridge to make room. I think I'm going to allow for up to $100 in spending for this trip because I just realized there is no way I'm shopping after surgery. I'll have to rely on mom to keep to my budget (terrifying).

I can't wait to buy more bananas!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

€15 left of my budget to do til Thursday week. That's good going for me since I probably only need a few veggies at the weekend for whatever dinner I make for next week.

Bought 2 pineapples today because I found out they are on special for 59c. Might buy a few more and live on them!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm 

daisychain wrote:
Bought 2 pineapples today because I found out they are on special for 59c. Might buy a few more and live on them!

Do it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

GymClassZero wrote:
Shopping in two days! Making a soup out of the leftover veggies in the fridge to make room [...]

I can't wait to buy more bananas!

I always used to make a soup out of the veggies in the fridge and freezer at the end of the month (got paid on the last day). I called it crisper soup but my chef friend calls it garbage soup. I would clean out the crisper bins at the same time and kill two birds with one stone.

And I hate running out of bananas - they are the one thing I eat every day without fail.

I blew my budget a bit on Thanksgiving supplies (shiitake mushrooms, $5 Yoso cream cheese, wine) but have lots of leftovers and veggies (and pantry supplies) to carry me through the week.

I have been working less and going to the grocery store more, because I have time, and that is not a good thing.

My goal for this week is to reorganize my pantry supplies and make sure I know what I have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:02 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Spent about $27 last night. Should be set for the week except almond milk when I run out, which I'll have to buy from the local coop which is at least an extra dollar more. Oh well. Brings me to ~88 for the month out of $175. I did have to buy more potatoes and onions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:14 am 
Semen Strong

I blew $20 at the Cinnamon Snail. Worth It. 2 Creole Subs, a lentil pie, a creme brulee donut and a cherry prezel chocolate donut.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

About $40 in the first week of October. Not too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
I blew $20 at the Cinnamon Snail. Worth It. 2 Creole Subs, a lentil pie, a creme brulee donut and a cherry prezel chocolate donut.

well damn, that sounds amazing.

It must be fall, because I blew $10 on apples.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next