| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does anyone make their own milk?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 am 
Bought a crop of bad girls

Veglicious wrote:
Ok, I think I'm going to buy a soymilk maker! I can get Joyoung ones quite cheap on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I might go into China Town too and see if they have any in the shops.

You should! Then report back!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had a Soyabella, but couldn't stand the taste of the soymilk from it -- I think the machine heated up the soymilk too much for my liking. I wound up giving the machine away to a young vegan family who, thankfully, love it.

I was soymillk maker-less for a while because I couldn't decide on what kind to buy. Finally, I just took a leap one day and bought a Soyapower Plus machine.

I was really happy to learn the machine is designed so that filter cups are now a thing of the past!! This machine is filterless and super easy to clean--much easier to clean than my original machine and easier than the Soyabella. You filter out the okara at the end, through a nice fine-mesh stainless steel strainer that fits perfectly on the supplied pitcher. The soymilk tastes pretty decent after sweetening and vanillaising and the okara is a very nice texture. MrQ loves the milk, but it's still 'beany' to me (but all soymilk is beany to me).

This machine will also make rice milk and nut milk, but MrQ prefers soymilk, so that's what I'm making.

This machine is way, way quieter than my previous machines. The carafe and motor unit top are more insulated than my other machines, so it barely startles the cats when it starts doing its thing. The end-of-cycle beep is also very very quiet, which I appreciate (though others might like a loud alarm-type beep).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just made my own milk for the first time ever! It was super easy and fun. I made chocolate oat milk, but man did it need a lot of sweetener. Anyone who has made a non dairy milk, what sweeteners and flavorings do you use?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I have been making walnut milk for the past few months, and I really, really love it! I don't sweeten it because I mainly use it in coffee (which I sweeten with stevia).

I tried making rice milk and hated it. I hate commercial rice milk too, so no surprise there. Almond milk was better, but then I felt pressured to do something with the pulp. Walnuts are softer and almost totally disintegrate, so there's very little pulp left, and the milk is creamier without having to use more nuts. Win-win. Also it's yummy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 am 
Huffs Nooch

i make almond milk, and almond-oat - typically mixed with chocolate or protein powder; stevia or erythritol to sweeten since i try to stay low-carb, but maple syrup is delicious especially with the oat blend!

i also make soy milk but only for yogurt and tofu, so it's not sweetened.

btw - I have a Soyajoy G3 that I've been meaning to sell. it's only been used a few times, works great and still has one year left on the factory warranty - i'm just trying to simplify my kitchen and don't need a dedicated milk machine... i'd let it go for $50 (US) and it could probably fit in a large flat-rate priority mail carton... if you're interested send me a pm :)

it's just like this amazon item: B00420JV6S if you want product details - here are some photos of the actual machine (you can click on them to enlarge on my flickr stream)...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I'm sorry, but your question really makes me want to say that I'm sure we have some lactating moms on the boards.
Yes! Every time I see this thread I think it got misplaced from The Playground!
denali wrote:
haha Might be a little weird for me to buy and drink their milk though
You never know until you ask!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 am 
Nailed to the V

I've been out of work for a bit and so I'm pretty broke. I found that I can make a dirt cheap oat milk in my crappy tiny smoothie blender that is just fine. Just toss in 1 cup of hot water, 1/4 cup rolled oats, a touch or sweetener (i've used raw sugar, stevia, and maple syrup), and a couple of drops of vanilla.. Just whirl that crepe in your cheap blender for a minute and DISCO! You have enough milk for cereal, coffee and a recipe. I get all of those ingredients for next to nothing at a discount grocery store.