| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 24, 2015 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Years 2015
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Xmas ending up being a bust cooking wise for me since we went to my parents house so im already thinking about New Years.
my husband and i typically sit around at home and eat snacky foods and appetizers. i doubt i will make it to midnight.

we've been making the spring roll recipe from Vegan Table for roughly the last five years because when i bought the rice paper wrappers the package has about 80000 wrappers in them so i guess until i finally get rid of them we will make spring rolls every year.

my husband bought me a tart pan for xmas and so far the only tart recipe ive come across in my limited time to look for one is the flourless chocolate tart from Vegan Table so i am looking for suggestions.

other than that we usually do chips/salsa/guac
plus i found a nacho recipe from Oh She Glows so maybe that with the chips/salsa

and then in Betty Goes Vegan i was intrigued by the cashew onion dip recipe but it has a lot of fresh herbs in it and i hate buying fresh herbs because i almost never use them all before they go bad and they're expensive so i may flake out on that.

Post subject: Re: New Years 2015
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have just planned our New Years Eve meal. We are doing veggie spring rolls, hoisin mustard tofu from AFR with lots of shallots, and steamed broccoli. I did an Asian meal a number of years ago for NYE and did the Scallion cakes from AFR which are so good. I still need to figure out a cookie to make - I want to try a new one. New Years morning we are having mixed berry waffles with a berry coulis on top. Can't wait to eat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

PorshaJo - have you made Terry's Favorite Almond Cookies or the Peanut Ginger Sesame Cookies from Veganomicon? Both would be great with an Asian inspired meal.

We aren't sure yet. I may just get a bunch of appetizer-ish things from TJ's, but we need to figure out if we'll be haning out with friends or if we'll be on our own first.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:56 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LP, the pear frangepine tart from VPITS is also on the ppk blog, and always well received.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the chocolate walnut tart from 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes for a dinner a few months back. It was a major winner - I definitely recommend. It was served to all omnis and everyone loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:32 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

we are not doing nye but on on the first it is cheap mexican beer, rice, chips, salsa and maybe throw in beans. mostly cheap mexican beer!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:36 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I'm going to a party and the friend hosting it is making a bunch of (vegan) things already, so I will bring finger food. So far I am planning on making a savoury noochy version of the shortbread cookies from VCIYCJ and pipe them with cashew ricotta mixed with spinach, and some with tamarind lentils (it's traditional to eat lentils on NYE in Italy, to bring money). I might make the shortbread dough with different herbs, thyme and rosemary I think.
I might also make the Potato Spinach Squares from VB but then it might be too much spinach, so maybe a quiche instead. I haven't made the onion quiche from VB in ages... could be a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have to eat black-eyed peas every year. (they see the future!) Once again we'll be in a hotel this year so instead of my favorite texas caviar recipe it will be a can of black eyed peas mixed with some salsa. Still, yum!

Hopefully I will also be able to find some Kale salad somewhere in toronto. (greens = money in the new year!)

LisaPunk for what it's worth, I *LOVE* the onion mix packet from Trader Joe's. It is just so darn tasty. I don't know what the cashew recipe involves, but I usually put it in a tofu sour cream recipe. So if you can make the cashew base and use it instead of the fresh herbs it could be another option if you have a TJ nearby.

Alternately, this is a from scratch recipe I've made before with good success (I never use the parsley): http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/onion-dip

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

VPITS has a recipe for a chocolate raspberry tart in a shortbread crust that is rich and delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ooh TJ's has an onion mix packet?? Yum!!!

I would use dried spices and just give them some time to rehydrate in the dip. Should still taste great! Or make the sanctuary dressing in AFR.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We're doing our family gift exchange on New Years, and my plan is just a bunch of dips with chips and french bread rounds and chocolate PB mousse for dessert.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

LP - for your new year's resolution you should resolve to buy the fresh herbs and save the ones you don't use immediately by chopping and freezing! you chop a certain amount (varying on the type and uses) and put it an ice cube tray - fill with water and freeze. Then put in a ziplock with the date, and volume of herb per cube. They thaw really fast - esp if you are throwing them in soup.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We're having an asian feast for New Years Eve!

I'm making:
-Vietnamese spring rolls with lots of veggies and tofu
-A rice noodle salad with tofu, veggies and a delicious dressing made from roasted sesame oil, turmeric, soy sauce and garlic
-Vietnamese vegetable cakes
-Asparagus gyoza
-Some sort of carrot salad with plenty of ginger, cilantro and lime
-Teriyake aubergine
-Chocolate mousse
-Traditional danish NYE cakes called "kransekage" - it's basically a marzipan cake tower. This is served with champagne at midnight (as per danish tradition!)

We're making drinks that mix:
-Lychee Bellinis (Lychee + lime + prosecco)
-Passion fruit Bellinis (Passion fruit + lime + prosecco)
-Ginger/lime/rum drinks

I love making NYE all about delicious food, amazing drinks and hopefully we'll be going to a party to dance later. I made a few preparations and did all of the shopping today with the people I'm celebrating with - it will be so much fun!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont like pears. any other tart recommendations?
the one in Vegan Table calls for raw pecans and raw walnuts in the crust and im not sure i can find either of those tomorrow though im honestly not sure why it calls for raw so i may just use whatever i find.

im gonna skip the dip. i didnt realize TJs had an onion dip. ill look for it next time im there but it wont be in time for NYE.

i buy parsley and cilantro fresh all the time and im too damned lazy to wash and store it correctly. id like to say it's because i have a toddler constantly hanging off me but i think it's just laziness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:32 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This is my favorite tart recipe, really easy too, and it always turns out great. I just substitute earth balance for the butter and any plant milk for the milk. I've done it with peaches and apples and I think I like the apple version better. I use a lot more fruit than the recipe calls for, as much as the pan will fit.

http://food52.com/recipes/14217-peach-tart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Less than 22 hours to NYE party time! Our theme is Hollywood this year, so we are serving a lot of foods that you might get at the movies. Popcorn in various flavors: white cheddar, bacon, Italian, Mexican, and caramel corn. Hot dogs with everything you could want on them. Nachos with millions of add ons. Dots, red vines, nonpariells, and sour patch kids. Also putting out a veggie tray, hummous, TJ's onion dip, potato chips, smoked almonds, grapes, kumquats (not the filter!), and candy cane Joe Joes. Beverages: mulled hot apple cider with optional rum or brandy for spiking, sodas, water, beer, wine, champagne, and martinis shaken not stirred!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:46 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Sounds amazing Rhiz! We're going to be staying in and watching a movie so I have crisps and biscuits (party rings!) to snack on and we're gonna make green pea risotto with roasted asparagus for dinner. I also have Prosecco!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Nachos with millions of add ons.

imma be over in 5 seconds!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My boyfriend is ordering pizzas and I'm bringing an Asian cabbage slaw with edamame. Those things don't go together at all, but whatever. I'm trying to decide on a dessert.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:56 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

We are making pizza! Field Roast apple sage sausage, roasted butternut, shallots, rosemary, olive oil and daiya moz shreds!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We had my Mom over as usual, so it was just the 3 of us. My husband did the Roasted Beet/Smashed Avocado crostini from Chloe's Italian book, the cheese ball from the OSG extra, then Roasted Butternut & Spinach lasagna (also from Chloe) for dinner, followed by chocolate truffles (also OSG extra).

I was too busy working to help him out, but everything was pretty simple & tasted amazing. Happy New Year everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:55 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i have tecate in the fridge, refried beans & rice on the stove, 2 kinds of salsas & chips...hello dinner!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:15 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We had a quiet evening at home with Sloppy Joes from IDI and a raspberry/currant crumble. Unfortunately we forgot to buy ice cream for the crumble and were too lazy to make custard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:32 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I ended up making the VB east coast coffee cake for dessert, and I got so many compliments on it. One person told me it was the best thing she had ever eaten in her life. So, I'm putting that one in my file of winning recipes for omnis.