| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbooks for vegan cheese made from plant milks?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:17 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just bought an Artisan Vegan Cheese book and I was not thrilled that most of the recipes are cashew based. Not only are they expensive they pack a punch to the waistline. If there's a cookbook that does not use cashews or other nuts please let me know. I am not very worried about time it may take.

Post subject: Re: Cookbooks for vegan cheese made from plant milks?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:35 am 
Nailed to the V

Sophiagrt wrote:
I just bought an Artisan Vegan Cheese book and I was not thrilled that most of the recipes are cashew based. Not only are they expensive they pack a punch to the waistline. If there's a cookbook that does not use cashews or other nuts please let me know. I am not very worried about time it may take.

jdfunks has made a ton of these and we really like them. have you tried swapping sunflower seeds for cashews?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You could probably use peanut or almond. Cashew has a very mild taste, which is probably one of the reasons for its preference for vegan cheeses. (It's also commonly thought of as raw, despite 99% of cashews being heat-treated in their processing.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

there's the Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak, which uses a variety of ingredients in its recipes instead of relying on one or two base recipes.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, try the Uncheese Cookbook. Many recipes are bean or tofu based. Although, in my humble opinion most of the recipes in that book are no where near as delicious as Miyoko's nut cheeses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
there's the Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak, which uses a variety of ingredients in its recipes instead of relying on one or two base recipes.

Just to clarify, The Uncheese Cookbook has been out of print for quite a while now and may be hard to find. I think the book ETK is referring to is The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, which is the newer version. The recipes are quick and easy and use inexpensive, easily available ingredients. I have both books and I just love them.

I like the idea of the Artisan Vegan Cheese book, but the more I read of the thread in the cookbook forum, the less inclined I am to buy it. Too fatty, too involved, and too expensive. I'm sure it's a lovely book, but it definitely isn't for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vgnwitch wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:

Just to clarify, The Uncheese Cookbook has been out of print for quite a while now and may be hard to find. I think the book ETK is referring to is The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, which is the newer version. The recipes are quick and easy and use inexpensive, easily available ingredients. I have both books and I just love them.

I like the idea of the Artisan Vegan Cheese book, but the more I read of the thread in the cookbook forum, the less inclined I am to buy it. Too fatty, too involved, and too expensive. I'm sure it's a lovely book, but it definitely isn't for me.

yeah, I third the Uncheese (or Ultimate Uncheese) Cookbook. I like it because the recipes are fairly simple and whole-foods based, and can be lower-fat or a bit richer depending on your preference.

I agree about the Artisan Vegan Cheese book- I am very intrigued by it, it looks fantastic, but I doubt I would end up making the recipes too often, more as a special occasion kind of thing. the Uncheese recipes are more for everyday in my opinion.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles