| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Saffron? You can grow it
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:32 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

noticed while looking on line you can apparently buy the bulbs and grow it yourself I would normally put this in gardening but I am in need of this spice for the Spanish Crepes in VWV cookbook and can't get it (today anyway). I would not be surprised if anyone else would like it and find it too expensive or unavailable for their spice rack so I thought I'd pu the thread where the cooks would see it. I here's a man planting his bulbs:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/xyU-zkIf294[/youtube]

Here is one site that sells them:

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/c-84-saf ... MgodZiMAig

It may not be the cheapest site but the price looks to be in line with some other bulbs I've seen before.

Maybe I need to plant a whole bunch and sell it. For today I am going to use a a tiny amount of tumeric and a dash of cayenne as I read it smell a little like chilis. I hope it doesn't ruin my crepes.

Post subject: Re: Need Saffron? You can grow it
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:03 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Interesting! Looks like they might grow ok in S. California where I live.

Currently I get my saffron at Trader Joe's. A jar is like $5.99. Not the most pungent saffron ever, but for the price, you can just use a little more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sophiagrt wrote:
For today I am going to use a a tiny amount of tumeric and a dash of cayenne as I read it smell a little like chilis. I hope it doesn't ruin my crepes.

You probably don't need the cayenne (though that does sound like a good addition). I've always thought saffron smelled like dirt and flowers, which isn't too far off from what it is. I've never noticed anything spicy about it and I've used it quite a bit. The turmeric will give you the nice color of the saffron though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Do you mean the people's revolutionary spanish tortilla?

If you're doing the red pepper sauce, you could just leave it out; I find the flavor of the sauce kinda overwhelms the delicately-saffron-flavored tortilla itself. Or I might use pimenton (smoked paprika) in place of saffron.. not as a similar flavor but as a different but also culturally appropriate flavor. Personally, though, I love the saffron. Love everything about it. That recipe is really so underrated. Mmmmmm.. Maybe that's what I should make tonight! Thanks, PPK!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Yes it was the Spanish Revolutionary Omlette. I did finally find my Saffron and clean out my spice drawer in the process I have a rack in the drawer and it was stashed underneath the rack. I don't think the Saffron added anything to the recipe but some color. However, I've had my Saffron forever. After tasting the tofu mixed I added more garlic, salt and a yellow concentrated bouillon. Perhaps I killed what ever flavor the saffron added but I could not detect it I mostly tasted tofu. I don't think I'd do tumeric if you try this. Find something else yellow. Onion skins boiled make yellow.(I thought of this as I was making it)

For anyone making this recipe I do suggest cutting back on the oil a whole lot. 1/4 cup was just way too much unless you like really oily potatoes. I'd suggest spraying the potatoes with cooking spray and oiling the skillet well when you cook the omelette. I also overcooked my potatoes they were really soft you might want them to be a just a little aldente so you end up with a nice texture. The potatoes lend support and texture to the omelette. It was tasty and my husband liked it too he thought it was real eggs and he will eat it again. If you can find a roasted red pepper spread that would be a great substitute if you don't want to roast peppers (with the ground almonds added). I think I've seen it at Trader Joes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

They're so pretty! I'd grow them just for that!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That's seriously awesome. I want some now.

I've never even tried saffron, but I do have some recipes that call for it that I've never been able to try.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:57 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've made the recipe bunches of times and I wouldn't recommend cutting back on the oil at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

crocus are great! (but keep in mind, you'll only get 3 strands per year from each flower. that's why it's so expensive.) they're super easy to grow in your lawn though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:24 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

SpiceTrader wrote:
I have an option you may want to consider. Fresh, high grade saffron from western Afghanistan... Herat Province. Its' where the Iranian buyers obtain much of their saffron for resale to buyers in Spain who package it (often adding coloring agents and other material to give the appearance of higher grade saffron) and sell it all over the world as Spanish Saffron). Its' not an industry as regulated as you might think. Run a Google search "saffron Afghanistan" and you will find a good deal of information.

It's available here in Herat where I am located (American Expat) in any quantity, packaged (metal tins are best retain the flavor and aroma) or unpackaged. It can be sent from Herat and delivered direct to you at your doorstep for less than what you are buying for now.

SpiceTrader

So "saffron" is what the kids are calling it these days..... Back in my day the kids got their "saffron" from Acapulco... and it was gold.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well, now i need to try this! i LOVE saffron - it has quite a pungent taste in my opinion. not spicy at all.. just sort of musty and delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i knew someone who would harvest it from flowers growing in prospect park in the spring.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:07 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

smoothie wrote:
well, now i need to try this! i LOVE saffron - it has quite a pungent taste in my opinion. not spicy at all.. just sort of musty and delicious.
Yeah... "spicy" is not a word I would put anywhere near saffron. It's also one of the few herbs you can re-use after you've soaked them in water.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hmm, I was watching the Jazzy Vegetarian last night on the free PBS station, and she was doing a vegan recipe that called for saffron, and she substituted tumeric and cumin. I wonder if that would work for you. I made a mental note because I know that saffron is expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:17 pm 

keep your eyes out for the crocus. they're starting to pop up just about now. (of course if it's on a neighbor's lawn, ask before harvesting. they might be growing it for themselves.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm fairly certain it's a specific species of crocus that produces saffron. I don't think you can just harvest saffron from any old ornamental crocus species in the park.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 am 

oh no. it's definitely just the saffron crocus. (however I do wonder sometimes if the stamens of other crocuses are edible or taste anything like the saffron crocus.)