| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tamale Sauce?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So, cleaning out the magic freezer yielded a load of veg tamales that I had forgotten about. Since Ill be eating tamales for the next week or so I thought I'd ask what y'all put on your tamales. Its been so long since Ive had one in a restaraunt that I cant remember how they are usually served lol. Does anyone have an awesome sauce recipe or can you point me in the direction of one? Thanks!

I am up for trying anything. :)

Post subject: Re: Tamale Sauce?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:23 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

There is a nice recipe in Viva Vegan if you have that. It involves soaking dried chillies.

If you are lazy, trader joe's has a great enchalida sauce! It's a red sauce. I use that sometimes.

Salsa is alway good, I like to mix it with a vegan sour cream for a pour-over sauce.

If you have veganomincon, there is an AWESOME recipe for a sauce in there (it is with the beans recipe in mix and match section)

I have a mexican style tomato sauce I make that basically involves onions, garlic, LOTS of cumin, some chilli powder, and can diced tomatoes. Its pretty good. You can blend it for a less chunky sauce.

damn. I want tamales now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 am 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:
If you are lazy, trader joe's has a great enchalida sauce! It's a red sauce. I use that sometimes.

Which one is that? They have a jarred one but it has chicken stock in it.

The tamale sauce that my family makes is basically chile powder (or ground up dried chiles) with broth (veggie broth will do) and some flour. It is very simple.

I have tamales in my freezer that need to be eaten as ll.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Like a chili sauce? I do a bastardized enchilada sauce which is just a bit of minced sauteed onion, chili powder, oregano, parsley, salt pepper, then like a can of tomato sauce, a scoop of salsa, some water and some cornstarch and simmer until it thickens. I know the traditional way is to soak and strain dried chillies, but I've never found a recipe I cared enough to try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Wow! Thank you guys so much!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

It's this one. Mine does not have chicken stock in it (I just checked) but always check to be sure. You never know when the recipes for these things change! I like this one, its good for a pre-made sauce I think

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:44 pm 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:
It's this one. Mine does not have chicken stock in it (I just checked) but always check to be sure. You never know when the recipes for these things change! I like this one, its good for a pre-made sauce I think

yeah that is the one that had chicken stock last I checked but its been over a year since I looked at it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 am 
So Totally Yiffy

The Trader Joe's one has been listed vegan at my local store for the past few years. It is kosher pareve as well. I'm on the east coast if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

This thread inspired me to make tamales on saturday....took me like 6 hours! (usually I prepare the fillings one day, and assemble/cook another day since I only have one semi-big pot).

I made black bean and sweet potato and the other I made with a ropa-vieja type filling. Yes, I made the beans and seitan that same day too. 6 hours! Now I have about 35 tamales in the freezer. Decent sized ones too.

Dinner tonight, I have some of my viva vegan sauce in the freezer, or a whole bottle of the TJ's stuff. Hmmmm.

On saturday, I made a sauce out of the last of a tub of vegan sour cream and about 10 taco bell hot sauces (dont judge! I love that sauce! tasted really good mixed with the sour cream. also it was 1130pm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Growing up as a half Mexican girl in Arizona, I never ever put anything on my tamales. I would have thought you people were totally nuts. Now as a half Mexican woman in New Mexico, I still don't put anything on my tamales at home, but I eat them with sauce when I am at a restaurant. I prefer red chile sauce over green.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:34 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Chicki wrote:
This thread inspired me to make tamales on saturday....took me like 6 hours! (usually I prepare the fillings one day, and assemble/cook another day since I only have one semi-big pot).

I made black bean and sweet potato and the other I made with a ropa-vieja type filling. Yes, I made the beans and seitan that same day too. 6 hours! Now I have about 35 tamales in the freezer. Decent sized ones too.

Dinner tonight, I have some of my viva vegan sauce in the freezer, or a whole bottle of the TJ's stuff. Hmmmm.

On saturday, I made a sauce out of the last of a tub of vegan sour cream and about 10 taco bell hot sauces (dont judge! I love that sauce! tasted really good mixed with the sour cream. also it was 1130pm)

Ive never made tamales, Ive always bought them... I definitely need to try making them. I have a week of forced vacation coming up, maybe ill do it then.

kimba wrote:
Growing up as a half Mexican girl in Arizona, I never ever put anything on my tamales. I would have thought you people were totally nuts. Now as a half Mexican woman in New Mexico, I still don't put anything on my tamales at home, but I eat them with sauce when I am at a restaurant. I prefer red chile sauce over green.

I have a friend who lived in new mexico for a while, he said they put chile sauce on EVERYTHING there lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 am 
WRETCHED

kimba wrote:

Growing up as a half Mexican girl in So. Cal (raised by my Mexican half), it seems crazy not to put sauce on tamales. Wonder how the sauce thing skipped over Arizona :). The sauce I'm used too though is generally the same type of sauce used inside the tamale.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It might just be a family thing?

And they do put chile sauce and/or chiles on everything in New Mexico. You can get it in sushi, chocolate, pizza, burgers, ice cream. It's quite gross some of the things they do with it here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:27 am 
WRETCHED

Ugh, yeah, that is one thing I hated about Colorado, damn sauce on everything. I only like sauce on enchiladas and tamales. And sauce on tamales doesn't mean drenching them, it's more of just a few tablespoons on top. I eat them either way though and I'm happy to go sauce less.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:09 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

We ate them the other night, sans sauce. Just some tapito on them (best hot sauce eva!).

If your tamales are good, and mine were excellent, they don't really NEED sauce, but sometimes I like it, just to switch it up.

oh, and the ropa vieja filling was so awesome in tamales.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We usually dip in salsa or FFL queso. mmmm queso.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ok, I had to do a mini survey of some friends and family about this important tamale sauce issue.

Arizona Dad: Tamales eaten in the home don't normally have sauce and when he visits friends and extended family, they don't use sauce either. Tamales in restaurants always have sauce, they call it "enchilada style"
Friend from Mexico 1: Tamales always have sauce on them, unless they are sweet tamales
Friend from Mexico 2: Tamales don't usually have sauce on them
Friend from Arizona: You don't normally eat tamales with sauce
Two Friends from New Mexico: Sometimes you eat them with sauce and sometimes not
Husband from Costa Rica: Our tamales are different, they are sweet, and wrapped in banana leaf - they don't usually have sauce though you can eat them with tabasco sauce. And they are gross.

So my conclusion is that it's regional/familial. Or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 pm 
WRETCHED

I agree its regional as obviously different parts of Mexico have different food traditions. It always shocks me when I go to different parts of the US and have Mexican food as it always tastes different from what I grew up with :) Southern California has a lot of western coast of Mexico & Baja Mexico influences. My family is a mix of long term California Mexicans (records go back to the family coming in the early 1800s) as well as a few generations back, my family came from the interior of Mexico.

I'm also jealous of banana leaf tamales, I've had them in the past from friends from various parts of central America. Always seemed like a cool idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I lived in southern CA for about 8 years while I went to college and dental school, but strangely enough, I don't recall eating tamales there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I actually found a place in San Diego that served vegan tamales but it is something I rarely eat out, I used to eat them in other people's homes all the time though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've never had a tamale with sauce, but I've never had one in a restaurant. Sauce seems to defeat the purpose of a tamale to me - it's hand food!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made tamales today and happened to have some cashew queso left over from another use. It was great on the tamales. I also added a bit of chunky tomato salsa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 am 
WRETCHED

Ariann wrote:
I've never had a tamale with sauce, but I've never had one in a restaurant. Sauce seems to defeat the purpose of a tamale to me - it's hand food!

Huh!? I've had a lot of tamales in my life but I've never eaten one in my hands. Whether it has sauce or not, it is always on a plate.

Although the tamales my family makes tend to be someone on the large size.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am 
***LIES!!!***

linanil wrote:
Ariann wrote:

Huh!? I've had a lot of tamales in my life but I've never eaten one in my hands. Whether it has sauce or not, it is always on a plate.

Although the tamales my family makes tend to be someone on the large size.

That's funny. I've had mostly little ones and the leaf = a natural wrapper!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 am 
WRETCHED

I've only had banana leaf ones a few times in my life, its generally the corn husks and I'm sure the corn husks are a decent wrapper but not as good as a banana leaf.