| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Mock duck in a can?
Haven't tried it, but want to 29%  29%  [ 26 ]
Awesome! 42%  42%  [ 38 ]
Scary, probably won't try it. 30%  30%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 91
 Post subject: Re: Mock Duck... Intriguing or scary?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
shanniesaysyo wrote:
well i was at food fight! today waiting for my tattoo artist to finish prepping and i saw some mock duck for the first time. i picked up a can since this thread peeked my interest.

i plan on cooking it up with some bell peppers and maybe a ginger marinade over some rice. i'm in that post ink endorphin rush and i don't want to do anything too involved.

i will admit the idea of eating seitan without having to actually make seitan is kind of making my day a little brighter!

changing my vote. DELISH!
I drained the can and sort of squeezed it out. Put it a hot cast iron skillet, added carrots, mushrooms, onion, broccoli and peppers and the sweet chili lime sauce from vegan yum yum. so good, so easy, perfect on this cold rainy night!

Post subject: Re: Mock Duck... Intriguing or scary?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

stephanie wrote:
I never ate real duck, so I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like

You're not missing out. I tried it ONCE... BLECH! Greasy and too chewy...

So I went to Lee Lee's Oriental Market yesterday with Mr. Scruffle... Holy shiitake! I was in vegetarian wonderland! One of their rows even had a label for "vegetarian"! And that wasn't even the beginning of the veggie goodies in the store! Vegetarian oyster sauce, vegetarian stir fry sauce, pad thai... And that's not even beginning to get into the frozen mock meat section! Based on the massive selection of vegan/vegetarian "ham", I must assume vegans miss ham... Haha! Just kidding, of course. But seriously... TONS of frozen vegan ham (some even pre-sliced). But, yes, there was a good 4 foot stretch of an isle with nothing but canned wheat meats. If it weren't Saturday afternoon and packed I would have totally bought up half the store (also they have those Japanese jelly thingies - some of them are in little cups, some in tube shaped papers - that are also vegan/vegetarian and awesome! I had no idea what they were, but I used to eat those when I was a kid from the little lady that ran the ONLY Chinese restaurant in Bonham, TX, hahaha!).

I'm going to have to take future-mother-in-law-unit there!