| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mock duck in a can?
Haven't tried it, but want to 29%  29%  [ 26 ]
Awesome! 42%  42%  [ 38 ]
Scary, probably won't try it. 30%  30%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 91
 Post subject: Re: Mock Duck... Intriguing or scary?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My answer is that I would try it if it's in front of me, but I won't ever go out on an active search and wouldn't really categorize it as a "want"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

All the enthusiasm makes me want to try it but, ugh, skin bumps! Maybe I could try the abalone because honestly, I don't even know what abalone is so it can't weird me out too much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ohhh, I didn't read about the bumps until now. Yeah, abalone has no bumps. It just looks like seitan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never bought it, but I have had it at restaurants and enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Never had it, but I will try almost anything vegan once.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Scared. It's in a can. The canned part makes it scary for me.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

It terrifies me yet intrigues me. I have a chinese place that offers it but I always chicken out trying it. The skin bumps are my issue. I'm scared that they will end up giving me real duck instead because 1. they offer real duck there and 2. I have never had real duck before so I would have no clue if I did get the real stuff instead. I've always heard the real stuff referred to as "gamey" and that is enough to make me put off at trying the stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

interrobang?! wrote:
Scared. It's in a can. The canned part makes it scary for me.

Yes, I have an irrational fear of canned foods.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:51 am 

I come armed and dangerous with Asian vegan goodies!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Veglicious wrote:
I come armed and dangerous with Asian vegan goodies!

What are you making with all these yummy items?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:53 am 

I have no idea yet! I made a quick dinner of pak choi with the 'mini steak' you see in the background. Basically just chucked it in the pan.
I think the chicken nuggets are the same ones I've had at Loving Hut here, they are not McDonalds style, more like bits of fried chicken. I've tried it sweet and sour style so that's what prompted the purchase of the sauce. The steamed buns I will probably just keep for a quick meal with some salad or veggies, the agar is just for my pantry because it was a dollar and I'm probably going to use the canned gluten in some Thai-style dishes.
Edit: I just noticed that my agar agar is 'red colour'. I hope it's not carmine. I thought it was just plain agar. Oh well, jello is on the horizon!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:08 am 
Saggy Butt

OMG all that stuff looks amazing! I didn't even know there was a vegan sub for gelatin! -claps hands like an excited child-

How is the "mini steak"? And OMG I want those steamed buns... I think I've tried to red bean one before at an Asian Buffet and I thought it was plumb because it was sweet, but now that I've seen they make red bean icecream I'm thinking it might have been that. I MUST keep a look out for these!

If only they made instant dairy-free thai tea and boba tea. -sigh- Then I could really go full blown vegan w/out a problem... AND if Amy's will take my suggestion seriously and make their Country Cheddar Bowl vegan (using their vegan mac & cheeze sauce instead of the cheddar sauce).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:09 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Veglicious wrote:
I have no idea yet! I made a quick dinner of pak choi with the 'mini steak' you see in the background. Basically just chucked it in the pan.
I think the chicken nuggets are the same ones I've had at Loving Hut here, they are not McDonalds style, more like bits of fried chicken. I've tried it sweet and sour style so that's what prompted the purchase of the sauce. The steamed buns I will probably just keep for a quick meal with some salad or veggies, the agar is just for my pantry because it was a dollar and I'm probably going to use the canned gluten in some Thai-style dishes.
Edit: I just noticed that my agar agar is 'red colour'. I hope it's not carmine. I thought it was just plain agar. Oh well, jello is on the horizon!

Sounds great! I also hope your agar agar doesn't have carmine :(, that would be sad! I have agar agar but haven't used it yet, I need to try it out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 am 
Ninja Master

The stuff we get here is in this seriously slimy gravy and it's pretty mingin out the can. But when it's baked till crispy it makes awesome mock duck wraps!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:42 am 

Scruffleupagus wrote:
How is the "mini steak"? And OMG I want those steamed buns... I think I've tried to red bean one before at an Asian Buffet and I thought it was plumb because it was sweet, but now that I've seen they make red bean icecream I'm thinking it might have been that. I MUST keep a look out for these!

The mini steak thing was nice. It was actually a bit more like sliced 'beef' in a marinade. You don't need to do any prep so it's very easy but I think the pack was about $5 and I'll only get two meals out of it so that's a bit much to pay for me. Would be good for quick, no-fuss meals. The pak choi was only 65 cents, I nearly fell over. I'll give some feedback when I try the buns! I think red bean (azuki) can be sweet or savoury. Next time I go to China Town I'll bring my camera and show you some amazing stuff. In one of the supermarkets they had a whole freezer (you know, double-doored industrial freezers) of vegan frozen things, including 'vegan cod' and some really realistic-looking bacon that skeeved me out a bit.

I don't know why I don't go every week!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:20 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I wouldn't buy it myself because I'd have no idea what to do with it. But I'd be interested in trying it at a restaurant or potluck or whatever

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:35 am 

Totally got my whole family to eat the mock pork tonight! Made a lemongrass stirfry, so good!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

Veglicious wrote:
I think red bean (azuki) can be sweet or savoury. Next time I go to China Town I'll bring my camera and show you some amazing stuff. In one of the supermarkets they had a whole freezer (you know, double-doored industrial freezers) of vegan frozen things, including 'vegan cod' and some really realistic-looking bacon that skeeved me out a bit.

I don't know why I don't go every week!

Oooooo yes please let me know if they are amazing! Especially if they are easy to prep. I love the texture of the buns but the only ones I ever saw were the meat filled ones at Costco.

See, I get the BBQ Protein from Loving Hut. I think the whole bag of it was 5 bucks (you have to ask for it since they usually won't have it on the shelves for purchase, but they'll sell it to you) and I've made at least three sandwiches (one of them I recall having WAY too much "meat" on it). I love that stuff... I just put on my little sauce pan and boil some water with a good amount of vegan Worcestershire sauce and let it boil for about 10 minutes... MMMMMMM!

I would also clear out their freezer section after trying their mock-shrimp spring rolls. The texture was VERY close, even!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:04 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Man I wish our Asian market was full of vegetarian goodies like that!

I just bought a can of Mock Duck yesterday with the intention of making Isa's recipe, and I will admit in the can it looks kinda nasty. I tried some other chili seitan chunks from the Asian market and it was delicious in my stir-fry!

To me the seitan in a can is really no different than beans in a can, its a faster more weeknight friendly version of an otherwise time consuming ingredient. I can make seitan tacos or other seitan dishes during the week when otherwise I wouldn't because I don't have several hours to make it THEN prepare my dish. The canned stuff just makes my life easier.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:07 am 

Rougelily wrote:
To me the seitan in a can is really no different than beans in a can, its a faster more weeknight friendly version of an otherwise time consuming ingredient. I can make seitan tacos or other seitan dishes during the week when otherwise I wouldn't because I don't have several hours to make it THEN prepare my dish. The canned stuff just makes my life easier.

Yeah that's what I figure. I will definitely buy more to have on hand and at AU$2.50 a can, I'm not exactly breaking the bank. Terry's seitan is good because you can make a batch and keep it in the fridge for a few weeks but a bit of variety is great too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:05 am 
Saggy Butt

Rougelily wrote:

See, I have no excuse because this is why I make a big batch of seitan and freeze it. But I really like that they sell them canned. However, I really am looking into canning things for simplicity sake... Making a bunch of soups, chilis, sauces, cheez sauce for easy mac & cheez, etc just to have on hand. So, thanks to this discovery, I now know that I can make and can seitan for the same purpose! I like my little frozen cutlets, but this way I can make seitan strips or nuggets and not worry about them trying out too much when thawing (because of the smaller pieces).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:31 am 
Saggy Butt

Don't those canned meats smell just like catfood? Still, I like them sometimes but never really used them in anything more than a stirfry. I don't think I really ever ate real duck either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
well i was at food fight! today waiting for my tattoo artist to finish prepping and i saw some mock duck for the first time. i picked up a can since this thread peeked my interest.

i plan on cooking it up with some bell peppers and maybe a ginger marinade over some rice. i'm in that post ink endorphin rush and i don't want to do anything too involved.

i will admit the idea of eating seitan without having to actually make seitan is kind of making my day a little brighter!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

definitely scary.
we were looking at those same blue cans at our Asian supermarket on Saturday, shuddered, and moved on...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mock duck is delicious! Just rinse it off before you use it. I never ate real duck, so I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like, but I love the canned stuff.
Bonus: It can be found in many Minneapolis restaurants.

I'm really excited to learn that mock abalone and mock duck are the same! Can't wait to stock up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next