| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brain Food
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:20 pm 
FAYGO

One of my friends had a stroke last week. She started speaking today, so I hope she'll get her feeding tube out soon. She's vegetarian, leaning toward vegan, which her mother knows and respects, but she recently said "It'd be good if she'd eat some salmon, though." I assume because people say fish is "brain food". Obviously, hanging out next to her unconscious daughter was not the time to argue about nutrition so I just nodded and added that when her daughter was ready, I'd bake her things practically exploding with full of flax seeds and Omegas.

So what should I make? Most of my flaxy recipes are kind of healthy or raw and I may do some of that, but I also want to bring her some rich, decadent treats. She's got a hell of a sweet tooth and we have a bit of a tradition of trading baked goods so I really want to bring the awesome.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Brain Food
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

walnuts are a great "brain food" as well! maybe some sort of walnut/oatmeal/spice/flax cookie, or sub walnuts for pecans in a pecan pie recipe. simple cinnamon sugar roasted walnuts are a delicious snack option, too

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think that Vegan Dad did a recipe for Hemp seed Power muffins. That'd probably do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pretty much anytime you use an oil in an uncooked food, you could sub flax, hemp, or udo's with dha oil. Hummus or other dips might be a good idea. Maybe chia puddings too? Or is that too weird?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

If you have any of Dreena Burton's books or want to check them out at the library, she has several recipes that use hemp seeds. My memory is failing me on some of the baked goods, but she has them! I hope your friend continues to improve.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 am 
FAYGO

Thanks, everyone. I don't know anything about hemp, but I do have Dreena's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan, so I'll look into that and your other suggestions. Her mom had mentioned hemp too.