| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Spam Recipe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:21 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I was never a huge fan of spam but I am trying something called Vegan Spam Musubi (Hawaian/Japanese) (see youtube) and I cannot find the vegan version premade.

What would you use instead of rubber band to secure the foil? Do you think soy flour would work instead grinding soybeans?

http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-spam-446291

Post subject: Re: Vegan Spam Recipe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hmm... is there any reason in particular you can't use rubber bands? Off the top of my head maybe twine would work if you tied it tight.

Since the recipe seems to just call for dried soybeans ground up you might be able to use soybean flour, however I don't know exactly how much you'd need because 1 cup of dried soybeans would probably yield a different amount of flour.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

You can use string, like so: http://www.yankeemagazine.com/blogs/mem ... -bread/all

Also, report back on how it works out!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Man, I've been meaning to make this recipe some time but I've never gotten around to it. I used to love Spam. Limone hit the nail on the head. I'd go with twine and probably opt for the real soybeans instead of just the flour. Let us know how it is!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If using dry soybeans, you'll need a high powered blender like a vitamix to grind them into flour. A regular blender probably won't get them fine enough.

If you know how much one cup of soybeans weighs, you could use the same weight of soy flour and you're good to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

mollyjade wrote:
Also, report back on how it works out!

Yes, please let us know!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 am 

I am allergic to latex and also the thought of putting rubber bands in something I will be eating just is really unappealing I cannot say why. I don't have a Vitamix blender just a Cuisinart-Irony before I knew about how handy it would be I turned one down telling my husband it was just too expensive to spend on a blender!

I am going to try another gluten recipe I saw for vegan ham using this method and see if that works.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:
Since the recipe seems to just call for dried soybeans ground up you might be able to use soybean flour, however I don't know exactly how much you'd need because 1 cup of dried soybeans would probably yield a different amount of flour.

If you happen to have dried soy beans, soy flour, and a measuring tool, you could measure to figure out the equivalencies. If you don't have the required foods/tools, post here (and PM me for good measure) and I would be happy to do the weighing for you.

Also, I want to try this out of pure morbid curiosity. I don't even like spam, but I'm just way too curious. Please report back!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have another idea! If you soak the soybeans in the 2 cups of water specified in the recipe, they will become soft. You can then puree the soft soybeans and water in the blender, mix them with the other ingredients and proceed with the recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Cornelie wrote:
If you know how much one cup of soybeans weighs, you could use the same weight of soy flour and you're good to go.

This seems like a good idea to me!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:07 am 

I am willing to try the suggestions. I won't have time this coming week to do this but maybe next week I will get back with you. I have to buy soybeans.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I tried this recipe a couple weeks ago and was really disappointed. I did change it a little: 1.) I followed the suggestion here to soak the beans in the water, since my blender's not powerful enough to make flour out of soy beans, and 2.) I am allergic to tomatoes, so isntead of tomato juice I used carrot juice with a bit of vinegar (to replace the acidity of the tomatoes). Maybe following the recipe exactly would have yielded different results, but I don't think either of these things would have changed the volume or texture of the recipe, both of which were the problem.

First of all, the batter was incredibly running and watery, much more so than in the pictures associated with this recipe (a blogger somewhere posted her process of it, and mine looked very different from hers). I was so worried about it that I even added some cornstarch in the hope of it gelling better while it steamed.

I also had about double the volume the recipe said I would, which was a problem because I only had 2 cans on hand to boil the batter in. I got out two glass (peanut butter) jars. Then, even though I steamed them for 2.5 hours (the recipe calls for 2), they only hardened a little, definitely not all the way through. They were mealy, and the 2 full cans were basically still a paste. The texture and flavor were so bad on the undercooked ones that I threw them out, and I almost never throw out food. Maybe if I could have gone for more than 2.5 hours, it would've been okay, but I didn't have the time. The half cooked in the 2 glass jars is a little better--firm enough that it comes out in one tube (instead of a mealy crumbly mess like the cans), but not really firm enough to slice, and still mealy. I saved those two, but not to use as a Spam replacement. I've crumbled some of it and sauteed it with a bunch of strong Italian-type seasonings to use as sausage crumbles for pizza; I still have a tube of the Spam left, so I'm keeping it in my fridge in case I have any other ideas for salvaging it, but I'm guessing it'll mold before I come up with anything else.

Finally, the biggest disappointment to me is that the finished product tasted NOTHING like Spam. Even if the process and the texture had been long/terrible, I would've been okay with it if it tasted like Spam. Instead I had really salty soybeany tubes with an unpleasant peanuty aftertaste (and that's saying a lot for me--I love PB and frequently put PB in my seitan sausage recipes).

Anyway, if any of you try this and have good results, please let me know. Maybe my adaptations were just too much for the recipe, maybe I did something wrong that I'm not aware of... but my experience with this is that it was not worth the effort.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aww, that is so unfortunate that the recipe sucked. I made a bad recipe yesterday, too (not spam but still). Someone get Isa or Terry or Vegan Dad to veganize Spam. I want a spamburger!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 pm 

I have not tried yet I am guessing the dryness of the ground soybeans will be needed for the right consistency. I do know there is a premade vegan spam I saw in a video that was made in Hawai. I've asked in some Asian stores locally no one knows what it is. So if anyone knows about that let me know as this is really my reason for wanting it. I want to make vegan spam mushubi.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

nickvicious wrote:
Aww, that is so unfortunate that the recipe sucked. I made a bad recipe yesterday, too (not spam but still). Someone get Isa or Terry or Vegan Dad to veganize Spam. I want a spamburger!

I don't have time now, but this is on my to-do list.

Sophiagrt wrote:
I am guessing the dryness of the ground soybeans will be needed for the right consistency.

I was wondering about that... But you add the 2 cups of water (and 1 cup juice) later anyway, so I thought it wouldn't really make a difference. (If anything I would think the way I did it would result in a thicker batter, as the soy has time to absorb the water, but clearly I did it wrong.) Anyway the taste was so far off it wasn't worth it for me anyway.

I see that May Wah has some vegan ham: http://www.maywahnyc.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1843; I've never tried it but I have tried some of their stuff before and it was decent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:03 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I found a recipe for vegetarian spam I want to try out after hearing about the diappointing results for this recipe.

http://www.legalnews.com/washtenaw/1079636

I will mess around with it a little like replacing the eggs with gluten and blending everything into a smooth batter instead of having chunks of chopped nuts, but I think it might be a good base to start from.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made a pate last Christmas where I processed cooked seitan with pecans, sauteed shallots, mushrooms & herbs, & baked it in a ramekin & then poured an agar-based cranberry glaze on top. It actually had quite a firm, spammy texture & from what I recall, spam has a kind of aspic-like coating?

If I was going to tackle a vegan spam, I'd make a hammy seitan, like the recipe in Caribbean Vegan http://caribbeanvegan.wordpress.com/201 ... ean-vegan/ then chop some into chunks, & process the rest, adding some nuts, etc like the pate I made, pack it in a ramekin & bake it, then make a glaze for the top. I think that would be close. I haven't had spam for years & years, but I remember it was really really salty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:50 am 

Thanks I am going try this recipe