| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oktoberfest feast! (aka Oktoberfeast)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:59 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yay Oktoberfest! Chicken dances + beer. I love it. Yes I have a chicken hat, and a chicken hoodie I wear every year.

Anyway, I throughly enjoy Oktoberfest. However, I cannot enjoy the food there. Last time I ate the potato cake things, they made me kind of ill, I think they had dairy in them.

We are going with a huge group on Saturday to a giant local Oktoberfest, and I would like to make a German style supper for me and my partner before we go.

I would really like to make a schnitzel for us. Does anyone have a great recipe? I found this one online, it seems good, but if anyone else has any tried and true recipes they can share that would be the shitzle

http://thisisvegan.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... rfest.html

Not sure how to serve it either...on a bun as a sandwich looks good. I was thinking boiled new potatoes with dill, and perhaps some cabbage. Or peas. Or fries. Or parsley mashed potatoes served ON the schnitzel. I am not sure what is authentic exactly that would be good vegan. (I got some good ideas from another thread from earlier this year, but no recipes for the actual schnitzel)

Post subject: Re: Oktoberfest feast! (aka Oktoberfeast)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aww...I missed all our Oktoberfests this year. I intended to make the Vegan Dad bratwurst because I've had my eye on that recipe for a long time, but totally blew it. Busy couple weeks. That schnitzel does look good, though. Even being German, I couldn't tell you how to serve it. I always do kraut, mustard and beer onions on my brats and that works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I was thinking about maybe the vegan dad Vegan Dad bratwurst too, that sounds good. And I have had really good luck with his recipes. I really dont like sourkraut though :( Yes, I am from German decent and dont like it. Go figure!

I have never really had schnitzel before, I just want to try it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have no recipes for you, but when I studied abroad in Germany the grocery store sold frozen vegetarian schnitzel. I had to try it even though I normally don't like things that try to be meat. I've never seen it in the U.S. though. A breaded tofu cutlet might be kind of similar.