| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rice cooker/vegetable steamer?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So I have Bed Bath and Beyond gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and I was wondering about getting one of these. I hear about them on this site every once and while and it sounds interesting. I have never seen or used one before, which means my mom, sisters, and grandma, have never used one either. BB&B has a Hamilton Beach one for $49.99 plus there is a 20% off coupon. I am a HB fan ever since I got their coffee pot in the summer and it is awesome.

Anyways, would this be a good buy, or frivolous (that seems like it might be spelled wrong)?

Post subject: Re: rice cooker/vegetable steamer?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ugh...doing some research, looks like it is a non stick surface with a plastic steaming basket. I really like to use stainless steel only, so maybe I will have to do more research. I am a really bad cooker of rice, and I thought something like this might help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Not frivolous at all. Our rice cooker is one of the single-use items that I feel actually earns its keep in our kitchen. Rice is just the beginning - I use it for steel cut oatmeal, quinoa, TJ's 10 min bulgur wheat, the list goes on. It's pretty awesome. And it frees up a burner on the stove. The nonstick works well for us. It's one of the few pots we have that are nonstick - just have to remember to keep metal utensils away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah - nonstick is great for rice cookers. And plastic for a steamer basket in a rice cooker should also be fine. I only use my rice cooker for rice these days and I still think it earns its keep in the kitchen!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My rice cooker is an absolute necessity. I use it for all grains. Quinoa never comes out right for me on the stove, but its perfect in the rice cooker everytime.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i also use it for all sorts of stuff, nearly died when my last one shiitake the bed and i had a month without a rice cooker, and steaming things like bao or anman is so much easier in the steamer.

it is also my only non-stick pot. i figure it's better than a normal one that would reach much higher temps/emit gases on the stove (the temp is controlled in the cooker) and we're super careful about using plastic utensils only on it. i know that stainless and even ceramic ones exist, but not in this kind of price range. in this range the only other option is plastic, which i think is even worse than nonstick.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 am 
WRETCHED

We bought a stainless steel one but it died within a few months so we went with a zojurishi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have a nonstick one with a metal steamer basket and love it. I have had no problems with the nonstick chipping or anything, and only use plastic or wooden utensils in it. Honestly, I don't know what I would do without it. All of my grains are cooked in there, and the steamer basket is absolutely essential for steaming seitan!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the input. I definitely need to look into this more. Maybe I need to save for one that is just a little better. Either way I can go to the store and see what they got.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Rice cookers get a big YES from me! I have a tendency to burn rice to the bottom of the pot when I make it on the stove, which is a pain in the asparagus to clean up. Depending on what you plan on doing with it, you may not need a super-fancy one. I have a cheapo Aroma rice cooker (like this one) and it only has two settings- cook and warm. It works great for cooking rice (90% of what I use it for) and other basic grains. The one I have came with a little metal steamer basket and that also works really well, no issues. Depending on what size model rice cooker you get the basket may or may not hold a lot, but if you're really desperate to steam a ton of stuff at once I've found the best technique is to just put a metal or bamboo steamer basket over a giant pot of water on the stove. My rice cooker does have a nonstick cooking pot, but as others have said, if you're gentle and use wood or plastic spatulas in it so it doesn't get scratched then it'll be fine. I have seen plastic electric food steamers, which I always thought was sort of odd because hot steam and plastic seem like a bad mix to me? My father used to have one and it never melted or anything thing though, so I guess they're fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ooooh, I really like the idea of a steamer basket. I just have a cheapy rice cooker that does work great for grains, but I like the idea of being able to steam things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Can you cook dried beans in a rice cooker? My BB&B store only has the Hamilton Beach model, but I am just really weird about nonstick and plastic which is what that cooker is. So online they have these two models that seem nice:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16985260&RN=72&
and
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=208449&RN=72&

Both have stainless steel pots which is what I am used to cooking with at home. I just have to wait to get an online 20% off code in my email, or go to the store and have them order it with a coupon, which gets lost when I have to pay shipping. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:30 pm 
WRETCHED

I've cooked a korean rice/bean mixture in a rice cooker, as long as you soak it. I haven't really done anything beyond that as I use a pressure cooker to cook my beans.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 am 
Saggy Butt

I splurged on a Zojurishi, which arrived yesterday. I'm wondering if it's really necessary to rinse and wash the rice before adding. Do you guys follow that instruction or ignore it? I guess I'm just being lazy, but it sounds like a bit of a pain to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I usually do not rinse my rice. I think you do need to rinse sushi rice though.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

if you are using rice from outside north america, i think they expect you to rinse it, and you might miss grit or dust if you don't. Asian rices sometimes have talk or other white powder to make it look even whiter. I know the fortified rice in the US always says "don't rinse" but all the old ladies i cook with always rinse their rice, so i do too. [the water usually comes out less than clear and clean...]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

zinnia wrote:
I splurged on a Zojurishi, which arrived yesterday. I'm wondering if it's really necessary to rinse and wash the rice before adding. Do you guys follow that instruction or ignore it? I guess I'm just being lazy, but it sounds like a bit of a pain to me.

Try it out -- it depends what kind of rice you are making. I've found that basmati rice doesn't spatter much and turns out great without rinsing, but regular long grain white makes a gooey mess above the top metal lid, so I usually do rinse that. Do make sure to clean promptly above that top metal lid and dry it well, or you will end up with mold growing in places you can't easily clean.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks for the advice. I made brown rice (no rinsing) and it came out fine. Will experiment with the white and basmati. I haven't fallen instantly in love with the rice cooker like I thought I would, but maybe it will grow on me. I can see how it could come in handy using it alongside a slow cooker with the timer and warmer features.