| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Having a "mostly" vegan Thanksgiving at my mom's (she's making turkey for the omnis). I'm brining one of those gardein thingies. But I'm most excited about roasted miso maple brussel sprouts. Yum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:45 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

1) I have not seen this ham from TJ's that you folks are talking about. Is it like one of those spiral ham things? Is it a regional product? Post pics!

2)
b.vicious wrote:
I've decide to go with a brunch this year. Ideas so far:
- Pumpkin French Toast (VB)
- Hash browns or home fries (VB)
- Tempeh Sausage Pastry Puffs (VB)
- Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits (AFR)
- Apple Brown Betty (VPITS)

Any other ideas? I want to make crepes for my mom because she doesn't like French toast, pancakes or waffles (I know!) but I'm not sure yet what to fill them with. Some kind of tofu quiche might also be nice but I don't know what would make it Thanksgiving-y.

The mushroom, white bean, and leek pie pie from VB is pretty autumn-tasting so it would work well for Thanksgiving. You can also do something like the broccoli quiche with brussels sprouts and/or mushrooms and/or sausage and Thanksgiving flavors like sage and thyme. Actually, this sounds good. I may do it for the morning after.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Chicki wrote:
Hey, how much do the Celebration Roasts, or the Field Roast en Croute go for at whole foods?

I usually make my own, but thinking of buying one this year, but would have to get it at WF. I am askaird to find out how much they are

My Whole Foods lists the en croute at 21.99 but it was on sale 2 days ago for 18.99.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ONE WEEK, guys! I am so forking excited! I haven't even (drastically) changed my menu!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

We're having a thanksgiving potluck at work and I want to bring some stuff that won't need to be reheated. We only have a toaster oven and a poorly functioning microwave. I do intend to take a tofurky just because I want to embrace the stereotype, but I don't know what else. I'm taking desserts (pie maybe? definitely cookies of some sort) and probably rolls, but I want to take another substantial side item so I can have a complete meal. Any suggestions? I want to keep it thanksgiving themed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
The last few years I have gotten nuts and made too much and I stress about it all being ready at the same time and then my parents take forever to get ready and shiitakes starting to get cold and Im all "hey I just busted my asparagus to have like 8 dishes all finish at the same time and for naught"

Wilted Spinach salad w strawberries and walnuts
Cheesy Baked Cauliflower
Sweet Mustard Brussel Sprouts
Roasted veggies with a balsamic glaze
Savory Baked Tofu w Mushroom Gravy

my mom makes mashed potatoes that are usually sorta gross but whatever and my dads making fresh french bread

and Im putting my middle finger up in the air to tradition and desserts gonna be some fruit with cashew cream on top...F U tradition of some dumb pie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My roommate and I are hosting the orphan (those of us whose families are either too uncomfortable to be around or too far away) Thanksgiving, and since I'm cooking, it's all vegan. I have no idea how many there'll be of us, but at least three or four? Hopefully more...It's kind of an open invitation thing.

Seitan en Croute (500 VR)
Mushroom gravy (V'con)
Carrot coins (500 VR)
Green bean casserole (family recipe)
Whiskey mashed potatoes (500 VR)
Potato rolls (V'con)
Cranberry sauce
Balsamic roasted asparagus with pearl onions (500 VR)
Punka pie (Urban Vegan)
Apple pie

Maybe some vegan artisanal cheese and crackers before.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
Julialegume and I were throwing out ideas yesterday and Ethiopian feast was mentioned on a whim, and it may actually happen!

That's what I did for New Year's Eve last year and it was the best thing we ate over the holiday period by miles.

We are officially doing this and I am stoked.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So my meal is officially finalized:

Friendsgiving:
-maple glazed ham log
-double onion mashed potatoes
-green beans of some sort
-chocolate peanut butter mouse pie

Thanksgiving proper with my family:
-celebration roast that i bought on sale last year :)
-roasted garlic mashed potatoes
-sweet potato marshmellow casserole
-sweet corn pudding
-mushroom gravy
-my famous green bean casserole
-roasted cauliflower and pinenuts
-cranberry sauce
-pumpkin pie
-pumpkin cheesecake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 am 
ugh

Thanks for the brunch suggestions! I now have a bajillion recipes I want to make, hopefully I don't go overboard. Or maybe I will go overboard and eat leftovers for a week, yum.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've only been giving this some thought but items I want to make this year are-
These rum glazed pumpkin pull apart bread things I veganized last year. So delicious. (For the morning-breakfast!)
Vegan Dad's pumpkin rolls, some kind of stuffing, possibly a return of Terry's cornbread stuffing since it was so good, VPITS/blog maple pecan pie, either chickpea cutlets or getting a roast of some kind (possibly TJs?) since I'm very curious about them, will have to bring EB & almond milk for mashed taters because our host claimed she could make some side vegan mashed pots last year but it ended up being boiled potatoes that were mashed without the milk/fat addition which made me a sad vegan. Maybe some kind of green as well. I may well end up making two pecan pies, one for family T-Giving and one for friend who's having a fully vegan t-giving that I may drop in on after dinner. Also, the vegan cashew cheeze that I sort of failed at last year (and I think I know why, so I know what to fix this year!!). Fooled an omni who didn't know I was vegan last year with the not-quite-right cheeze too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

After reading through the last 5 pages, I have a much better idea of what I'm making and am feeling a little less stressed. Thank you!

Potato Clover Rolls
Field Roast (probably the en croute one)
canned cranberry jelly (because I love it so)
Green Bean Casserole (PPK)
Mashed Potatoes
Golden Gravy (RFD)
sourdough stuffing
Pumpkin pie or cheesecake (VPITS)

still deciding on a sweet potato dish...

It's just going to be 4 of us this year but I am still debating on doubling the green bean casserole. I have problems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Today I went to make my grocery list since we're going to go out tomorrow (it can be impossible to find cranberries a couple days before thanksgiving, so I like to get them early).

It fills my heart with joy to realize that my kitchen is SO stocked up that I wrote down only eight items to buy for seven dishes. It's taken me so long to build my kitchen up like this, but it's such a level of satisfaction!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:23 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm still not sure whether there will be 4 of us or 10, but I'm pretty much making the same stuff regardless because leftovers RULE:
the Bryanna layered tofu turkey with traditional sagey stuffing, wrapped in yuba
a seitan roast - either the Bryanna one I've been making for 10 years or the PPK one, this time stuffed with Terry's cornbread stuffing with homemade apple sausage in it (seitan-stuffed seitan, why not?)
those vodka roasted potatoes
greenbean casserole (from FFV, with extra fried onions on top!)
an undetermined roll recipe
probably some cheezy cauliflower deal - I'm thinking of using just the butternut/nooch/miso component of Isa's butternut alfredo sauce for this!
kale salad
golden gravy

I'm a little anxious because I totally thought the holiday was 2 weeks away, not next week, so now I have to run around Chinatown looking for yuba AND I'm unable to find my most-desired kind of kale (lacinato) for the salad. I suspect it's not as hardy a plant as regular curly kale, and is now "out of season" for my farmers markets.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Getting carried away.

Chickpea cutlets, mushroom gravy, maple-fig salad dressing, all from VCon
Parsnips St. Jacques from Urban Vegan
Cider glazed carrots from Wegmans website
Brussels sprouts with cream and chestnuts from Epicurious, made last year and we loved
Twice baked sweet potatoes from Vegan Celebrations
Ai Gratin potatoes from 501
Maple mustard glazed beans and potatoes from VWaV. Maybe the will make it to the table this year
Pecan fudge from vegan celebrations
Pumpkin pie from VPiTS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:14 am 
So Totally Yiffy

It's just me and my parents this year since my 2 brothers can't make it. My parents don't really cook so I cook for every holiday, which I like since that means it's going to be all vegan. Our menu this year is pretty traditional I guess:

green bean casserole
soycotash (TJ's)
cranberry sauce (canned, that's what they like)
Awesome Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing (allrecipes)
some sort of vegan turkey (usually get Tofurkey but might try Hazelnit Cranberry roast this year)
Apple crisp
Sparkling cider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Here's my menu. It's my first time hosting a big holiday meal!

Dinner:
Fresh whole wheat bread with herbed EB
Sweet spiced amaranth with cranberries
Gardein roast
Jellied canberry-orange sauce
Baked beans
Spiced winter squash with a brown sugar glaze
Spice cake with cream cheese buttercream and candied walnuts
Chocolate pumpkin cookies with peanut butter glaze
Iced cranberry-ginseng tea
Hot orange spice tea
Hot mulled wine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Do you guys have a favorite roast recipe? I really love the field roast laves and Tofurky, but we can't get that here. I'm hoping to make one at home this year. Any favorites to share?

On top of that I'm hoping to make mashed potatoes, gravy, a bread or biscuits, stuffing, some veggie, and my mom's baked beans. They are super sweet and almost like candy. And I'll make a dessert of some sort. A pie.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I tend to avoid including a "roast" element at Thanksgiving and Christmas, since I generally think it's better to present food that is just naturally vegan, rather than something my (largely omnivorous) extended family will see as trying to emulate/replace meat. That said, I keep things pretty old school: mashed potatoes, baked butternut squash, sage and onion stuffing, mushroom gravy, a green vegetable like roasted brussels sprouts or green beans almondine, a big salad, cranberry sauce, and some sort of casserole for the main. Last year I made the Veganomicon cassoulet; this year it will be Lard Woolton Pie (one of the WWII recipes I made for MoFo). We aren't all that crazy about sweets in my house, but I have a super thoughtful niece who always brings a dessert which she makes sure is vegan; which is nice, since I make pretty much everything else! It's a lot of cooking, but I've been so busy with school, teaching, etc., that I'm really looking forward to having an extended stretch of time in the kitchen (with Nog As My Co-Pilot)!

Pie: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2012/10/lord-woolton-pie.html
Stuffing: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2010/11/classic-sage-and-onion-stuffing.html
Squash: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2010/11/baked-winter-squash.html
Gravy: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2010/11/best-mushroom-gravy.html

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

On thanksgiving we are going to my inlaws. I am bringing carmel pecan bars, chocolate pudding pie, and pumpkin pull apart rolls.

The following day I am hosting my first thanksgiving for my family. I am making chickpea cutlets, gravy, sweet potato biscuits, green bean cassrole, mac and cheese, cranberry sauce, chai spiced snicker doodles, and maple walnut cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally figured out what to make for my first gluten free Thanksgiving. I found an article on the Huffington post from last year and the recipes look really good!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-gentr ... 93515.html

Making the herb blend, faux turkey breasts, corn sage stuffing, and the gravy. Also making mashed potatoes, the sweet potato casserole from fat free vegan, and the pumpkin cheesecake from the PPK blog. Kind of worried about getting all of this done in time to travel on Thanksgiving day but I have all of Wednesday night to start.

Wednesday night:
Herb mix
Faux turkey breasts
Cornbread for the stuffing
Sweet potato casserole
Pumpkin cheesecake

Thursday morning:
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Corn sage stuffing

I hope this goes well! Has anyone made the turkey breasts or stuffing before?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:44 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

We're going to the home of 4 excellent kittens and their two humans, who are pretty cool too, I guess. I don't know what weirdo omni things will be happening (I heard a rumor about smoked duck, ew). But! I'm bringing...

-Vegan Dad's Harvest Pies. I really loved these last year, but this time around, I'm adding some chopped and sautéed Field Roast apple sage sausages to the filling. I'm also making the gravy he links to in this recipe.
-V'con Acorn-Black-Bean Empanadas with chipotle mayo dipping sauce and maybe also some sort of cilantro pesto using the seeds from the squashes. I've taken these to a few get-togethers with this crew, and they've always been a hit.
-VPITS Maple Pecan Pie. Holy crepe, I miss pecan pie so much. I was heartbroken a few years ago when my mom told me her recipe was just off the back of the Karo bottle. I imagine this will be infinitely better, because maple = <3.
-VPITS Pear Cranberry Galette, mostly to be all fancypants and show my friend Matt that yet again vegan things are awesome.
-Maybe Rad Whip? I keep forgetting about it, but I want to.
-Some tasty, tasty wine. I have a bottle of Cinsault that will go really well with those Harvest Pies. I might bring along another bottle, perhaps some bubbles for dessert.

Man, that's a lot of crust-rolling. Didn't think that through too well. Whatever, it's the holidays.

I was originally going to fancy up the V'con Tempeh Shepherdess Pie with a gourmet mushroom mix, but halfway through my shopping trip, forgot I'd decided against it. Now what to do with all those extra 'shrooms? I might make the PPK mushroom gravy instead of the Vegan Dad one. Or I'll just make the Shepherdess Pie after the holiday is over. Maybe that.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Desdemona wrote:
I tend to avoid including a "roast" element at Thanksgiving and Christmas, since I generally think it's better to present food that is just naturally vegan, rather than something my (largely omnivorous) extended family will see as trying to emulate/replace meat. That said, I keep things pretty old school: mashed potatoes, baked butternut squash, sage and onion stuffing, mushroom gravy, a green vegetable like roasted brussels sprouts or green beans almondine, a big salad, cranberry sauce, and some sort of casserole for the main. Last year I made the Veganomicon cassoulet; this year it will be Lard Woolton Pie (one of the WWII recipes I made for MoFo). We aren't all that crazy about sweets in my house, but I have a super thoughtful niece who always brings a dessert which she makes sure is vegan; which is nice, since I make pretty much everything else! It's a lot of cooking, but I've been so busy with school, teaching, etc., that I'm really looking forward to having an extended stretch of time in the kitchen (with Nog As My Co-Pilot)!

Pie: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2012/10/lord-woolton-pie.html
Stuffing: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2010/11/classic-sage-and-onion-stuffing.html
Squash: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2010/11/baked-winter-squash.html
Gravy: http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2010/11/best-mushroom-gravy.html

Your stuffing recipe just went into my Evernote food notebook. I'm always looking for a plain, Stovetop-like stuffing recipe and yours looks basic enough to do the trick! Stuffing is pretty much my favorite part of the meal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

You weird Americans with your bread stuffing and sweet side dishes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My partner and I will be traveling during thanksgiving, so we had an easy and early feast yesterday!

-Field Roast en croute
-mashed potatoes
-roasted brussel sprouts
-the maple carrots from ARF
-ciabatta rolls
-gravy

Dessert was vanilla almond milk ice cream and shaved chocolate and candied orange peel!

(eta dessert!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next