| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Almost all of the shopping is done. I just have to get several cans of coconut milk (I heard you can whip it into whipped cream and I'm not about to have hot cocoa without that) and some better than cream cheese.

Tonight, I'm going to get all the recipes I need in one place and figure out how to time everything, since I will be sharing the kitchen with Mom this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:00 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

We bought a Field Roast hazelnut - en croute on Saturday! I am craving Crescent rolls to go with it now...So we will see!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I found this post by Happy Healthy Life to have some tasty-looking recipes:

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/11/ ... -2012.html

We're having a relatively small Thanksgiving this year with my in-laws and husband, all of whom are omni but very
open/accommodating to veganizing most of it. So, my mil will make turkey, wilted salad w bacon (family tradition), deviled eggs, and a turkey gravy and stuffing, but that's it. Everything else is vegan.

Vegan menu will include:
Appetizers: muhamarra (Desdemona's recipe), hot "bacon" carmelized onion dip (VegNews Pinterest pin), Kathy's roasted cauliflower pumpkin swirl dip

- Field Roast seitan en croute
- Fruit and nut stuffing adapted from Cooks Illustrated
- Bourbon orange spiced cranberries based loosely on this recipe (and probably one other kind of homemade cranberry, plus cranberries from a can because that's what my father in law loves, rings from the can and all.)
- Mashed potatoes
- Sweet potatoes (my mil loves the casserole from Fat Free Vegan, which as Susan notes is decidedly NOT fat free but delicious; but this year, I was thinking about doing a small dish of Kathy's roasted sweet potatoes with citrus, spice and cranberries from Happy Healthy Life blog)
- Green bean casserole (duh) - veganized Cooks Country make-ahead recipe
- Maple roasted brussels with pecans from Voluptuous Vegan (often requested)
- roasted carrots, onions, parsnips, whatever else, tossed with olive oil salt and pepper
- Homemade scoop and bake rolls from Cooks Illustrated
- Massaged kale salad with pomegranate, roasted almonds and lemon
- Scalloped corn from Cooks Country

Dessert:
- Bourbon pecan pie - not sure which recipe I'll use for this, but I'll be using Cooks Illustrated's foolproof pie crust with vodka
- Sour cream raisin apple - adapted from VPITS

As you can tell, leftovers are nearly as important as the meal itself!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:32 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

GraciaKai wrote:
I finally figured out what to make for my first gluten free Thanksgiving. I found an article on the Huffington post from last year and the recipes look really good!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-gentr ... 93515.html

Making the herb blend, faux turkey breasts, corn sage stuffing, and the gravy. Also making mashed potatoes, the sweet potato casserole from fat free vegan, and the pumpkin cheesecake from the PPK blog. Kind of worried about getting all of this done in time to travel on Thanksgiving day but I have all of Wednesday night to start.

Wednesday night:
Herb mix
Faux turkey breasts
Cornbread for the stuffing
Sweet potato casserole
Pumpkin cheesecake

Thursday morning:
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Corn sage stuffing

I hope this goes well! Has anyone made the turkey breasts or stuffing before?

hey there, I've made those turkey breasts before and they were great! and honestly pretty easy to throw together (I don't think I even bothered to "shred" the tofu/tempeh, just kinda crumbled it.) Hope you like em!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Peppridge Farm pastry is still vegan right? I might do these instead of a pie - I just do not care for pumpkin pie...Also can I sub my coconut sugar for brown sugar? It is only 1 tablespoon...I never keep brown sugar around and would hate to buy a $5 bag just to use 1 tablespoon and then let it get hard...

http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2010/ ... overs.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can't decide which Vegan Pie in the Sky to make!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:00 pm 
Chip Strong

It's just the husband and I ... I usually go way overboard for 2 people and I am trying hard to be reasonable. But there was no way I was letting thanksgiving pass without bread stuffing, gravy, and cliche canned cranberry sauce - that is what Thanksgiving means to me! Menu to be solidified tomorrow AM when I go to the grocery store...

Portobellos? stuffed with a traditional type bread stuffing made w/ gf bread
Punk rock chickpea gravy because I want to try it
Broccoli rabe (is that even in season?) because my husband randomly requested it
Phirni (indian rice pudding) for dessert - almond/peach themed I think

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Pecan pie-- I don't think I've EVER made one, but I love the shiitake out of them and I'm not entertaining anyone who requires pumpkin or anything this year.

Sweet potatoes, probably mashed with a lot of garlic.

Not sure about protein. I'm thinking of maybe halving Miyoko's Unturkey recipe.

Brussels sprouts, of course. Roasted with walnuts and garlic.

And maybe biscuits too because I'm on a bit of a biscuit kick right now.

I should mention that this entire meal will be for 2 adults, a 3 year old and a baby. I'm only making stuff I love and won't mind eating for lunch all week.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We have an obscene amount of stuffing here (the packaged stuff) and I am so forking ready.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm gonna go grocery shopping tomorrow and cook the niter kibbeh in the evening.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

FYI: Whole Foods near me had vegan pumpkin pie in the bakery tonight. The boxes are very exuberantly labeled "Vegan" in amazingly large type. You can't miss it. In fact, it was at least the same type size as "pumpkin pie" if not larger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I tried Bryanna's tofu/seitan turkey and it came out SOOOOOO salty! If I slice it super thin I think it will be okay in sandwiches, but no way can I serve it to anybody. Bummer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:48 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm hosting and I'm going for something a little different this year. One pesce, two omnis, all happy to eat vegan food.

Soup or salad starter with croutes, cashew chevre, tapenade, maybe a walnut bean pate. Salad's the easiest, but I'm considering making a carrot-apple-ginger soup and it shouldn't take all that much time. Famous last words!

Seitan roast, unturkey-style, beancurd sheet-wrapped but unstuffed. I made a bunch of the light yeast seasoning today. Still torn on which glaze/reduction to serve with it, as I'm not sure a gravy would work here. Fruity/balsamic, or wine/garlic/shallot/lemon? I suppose if I get desperate, I still have that bottle of TJ's balsamic glaze in the fridge that I could squirt all over everything. Fancy!

Warm lentils du puy salad

Gratin dauphinois

Something hot and green, maybe sauteed chard with a grip of garlic? or broccolini?

For dessert, the pumpkin cheesecake from Artisan Vegan Cheese, but with a Biscoff crust. Maybe with some homemade coconut milk ice cream with ginger and Grand Marnier. And some date caramel. Maybe that's gilding the lily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm not sure what to do yet. I'm going to my dad's friend's for thanksgiving. All omnivores. I told pops I'd bring something to help out with the food since I'm going to be the only vegan there, but I don't want to bring something that somebody else already brought. And I don't want something that I need to heat up. Right now I'm thinking pasta salad, but that's so boring! And there's a chance there will already be pasta salad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm making:
Trader Joe's turkeyless roast
cranberry sauce (Veganomicon recipe)
mashed orange marmalade sweet potatoes
green bean casserole (ppk recipe)
stuffing/dressing
Unity Inn rolls (http://i-40kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11 ... -your.html)
maybe some mashed potatoes
apple pie (Vegan Pie in the Sky recipe with America's Test Kitchen vodka pie crust)
chocolate chip cookies (VCIYCJ recipe...something to take to 2nd Thanksgiving at the in-laws' house, as the pie will be gone by then).

We're having Thanksgiving with my family, none of whom are vegan or vegetarian. They are fine with me making most of the sides, though, as they keep kosher-style and the sides need to be parve anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:30 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Tzippy wrote:
I'm making:
Trader Joe's turkeyless roast
cranberry sauce (Veganomicon recipe)
mashed orange marmalade sweet potatoes
green bean casserole (ppk recipe)
stuffing/dressing
Unity Inn rolls (http://i-40kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11 ... -your.html)
maybe some mashed potatoes
apple pie (Vegan Pie in the Sky recipe with America's Test Kitchen vodka pie crust)
chocolate chip cookies (VCIYCJ recipe...something to take to 2nd Thanksgiving at the in-laws' house, as the pie will be gone by then).

Have you made that pie crust before? I just tried it for the first time, and it was so fragile, much moreso than my usual pie crust recipe (flour, shortening, water, salt). I ended up having to press most of it back together in the pie plate. Just wondering if you had any insight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

snarkyvegan wrote:
FYI: Whole Foods near me had vegan pumpkin pie in the bakery tonight. The boxes are very exuberantly labeled "Vegan" in amazingly large type. You can't miss it. In fact, it was at least the same type size as "pumpkin pie" if not larger.

My WF has both apple and pumpkin vegan pies! I'm stopping on way home today to pick up an apple. This is first time I've seen this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Are the WF pies any good? I hate most of their vegan bakery items--the oat scones are dryer than Antarctica, and the cookies have a weird, gritty texture. Even the macaw won't touch these things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Are the WF pies any good? I hate most of their vegan bakery items--the oat scones are dryer than Antarctica, and the cookies have a weird, gritty texture. Even the macaw won't touch these things.

I heard a disappointed review from a vegan couple whose tastebuds I trust on the pumpkin. I'm not sure what region they picked it up in, though. As long as its decent, it's a pretty nice option to see around...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

nickvicious wrote:
I'm not sure what to do yet. I'm going to my dad's friend's for thanksgiving. All omnivores. I told pops I'd bring something to help out with the food since I'm going to be the only vegan there, but I don't want to bring something that somebody else already brought. And I don't want something that I need to heat up. Right now I'm thinking pasta salad, but that's so boring! And there's a chance there will already be pasta salad.

What about a kidney bean salad? My husband's family makes this for all holidays. It's served chilled, best made a day or two in advance so the vinegar base can do it's work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jdfunks wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I heard a disappointed review from a vegan couple whose tastebuds I trust on the pumpkin. I'm not sure what region they picked it up in, though. As long as its decent, it's a pretty nice option to see around...

I think it depends on the pie and they're just not going to be like home made. But in a pinch, I don't find them terribly objectionable. I had the pumpkin last night and while it wasn't like my mom's, at least I didn't have to make one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Decided not to fork out the almost $20 for a field roast en croute. Just seems so much for 2 people. Maybe another time. Does anyone know if you can cut them in half before cooking? Then cook half one night, and half another?

I am going to do the Seitan Roast with Leeks and Shittakes from the PPK blog though. That sounds pretty yum. Omni partner likes seitan too, so hopefully he will like this!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I might go to WF tomorrow since I get off work at noon. If I buy pumpkin, I could make pecan. But, not if it sucks. Not quite home made is ok, but as bad as their cookies is not.

(why is a squirrel knocking on my window with his paw? what the fizzle.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I had their apple pie when it was on sale for $10 a few weeks back and loved it. Okay, I'm lying, we bought three. We really loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lavawitch wrote:
I might go to WF tomorrow since I get off work at noon. If I buy pumpkin, I could make pecan. But, not if it sucks. Not quite home made is ok, but as bad as their cookies is not.

(why is a squirrel knocking on my window with his paw? what the fizzle.)

ok, I will taste test the other half of the pumpkin pie, just for you ;-)

be right back....

ok, here are my thoughts: it's not gritty at all, it's creamy but very spicy, lots of clove and cinnamon. But I love spices anyway. If you prefer a lighter, less spicy pumpkin pie, this may be too heavy. Also, do we even know if all stores use the same recipe? I know my store bakes the pies right there because I saw a huge cooling rack of them last night.

Hope that helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next