| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Beanitarian wrote:
Have you made that pie crust before? I just tried it for the first time, and it was so fragile, much moreso than my usual pie crust recipe (flour, shortening, water, salt). I ended up having to press most of it back together in the pie plate. Just wondering if you had any insight.

I have, but it's been awhile. Currently I have the pie dough in my fridge and will be making the pie tonight, so I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

nickvicious wrote:
I'm not sure what to do yet. I'm going to my dad's friend's for thanksgiving. All omnivores. I told pops I'd bring something to help out with the food since I'm going to be the only vegan there, but I don't want to bring something that somebody else already brought. And I don't want something that I need to heat up. Right now I'm thinking pasta salad, but that's so boring! And there's a chance there will already be pasta salad.

Maybe a quiche? I love the swiss chard one in vegan brunch but they are all good and could be a meal and served cold.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Beanitarian wrote:
Tzippy wrote:
I'm making:
apple pie (Vegan Pie in the Sky recipe with America's Test Kitchen vodka pie crust)

Have you made that pie crust before? I just tried it for the first time, and it was so fragile, much moreso than my usual pie crust recipe (flour, shortening, water, salt). I ended up having to press most of it back together in the pie plate. Just wondering if you had any insight.

I've made it before. It's somewhat fragile (the fragility is due to the lack of gluten development, I think, but lots of gluten also makes it tough), but I was able to move it to the pie plate alright. It's definitely one that you have to kind of choreograph how you move it into the pie plate - I usually fold it over the rolling pin and have the pie plate right there. But maybe you did these things too? I will say it is a pretty flaky crust when it's baked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 pm 

Tzippy wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:

I have, but it's been awhile. Currently I have the pie dough in my fridge and will be making the pie tonight, so I'll let you know.

Ha, me too! Vodka pie crusts unite! ; )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

snarkyvegan wrote:
nickvicious wrote:
I'm not sure what to do yet. I'm going to my dad's friend's for thanksgiving. All omnivores. I told pops I'd bring something to help out with the food since I'm going to be the only vegan there, but I don't want to bring something that somebody else already brought. And I don't want something that I need to heat up. Right now I'm thinking pasta salad, but that's so boring! And there's a chance there will already be pasta salad.

What about a kidney bean salad? My husband's family makes this for all holidays. It's served chilled, best made a day or two in advance so the vinegar base can do it's work.

A cold bean salad did cross my mind but it's not something I've done before. The closest thing I've ever made to that before was edamame salad. If you have a recipe, pass it on and I'll check it out!

ETA: I've also tried the WF apple pie and can vouche for it's deliciousness. Esp warmed up and a scoop of so delicious ice cream.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

dandykins wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:
Tzippy wrote:
I'm making:
apple pie (Vegan Pie in the Sky recipe with America's Test Kitchen vodka pie crust)

I've made it before. It's somewhat fragile (the fragility is due to the lack of gluten development, I think, but lots of gluten also makes it tough), but I was able to move it to the pie plate alright. It's definitely one that you have to kind of choreograph how you move it into the pie plate - I usually fold it over the rolling pin and have the pie plate right there. But maybe you did these things too? I will say it is a pretty flaky crust when it's baked.

Yes, I was fully prepared to fold it over the rolling pin like in their video, but there was no possibility of lifting it. Whatever I was holding onto would rip right off. I was able to transfer it to the pie plate folded in half on the wax paper I was working on, but then unfolding it was the disastrous part. In the end it was just ok--definitely not tough, but not really super flaky either. Almost mealy, I would say. I feel like I read somewhere about vodka crusts being mealy, but I can't find it right now.

I don't make pies frequently, but I'm not a novice either. My usual recipe always turns out well, and I'm pretty good about not overworking it and handling the dough carefully. I'm not really sure what drove me to try a new recipe anyway, but I think it's back to my usual unless I can figure out what went wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:36 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

ashariel wrote:
I'm hosting and I'm going for something a little different this year. One pesce, two omnis, all happy to eat vegan food.

Soup or salad starter with croutes, cashew chevre, tapenade, maybe a walnut bean pate. Salad's the easiest, but I'm considering making a carrot-apple-ginger soup and it shouldn't take all that much time. Famous last words!

Seitan roast, unturkey-style, beancurd sheet-wrapped but unstuffed. I made a bunch of the light yeast seasoning today. Still torn on which glaze/reduction to serve with it, as I'm not sure a gravy would work here. Fruity/balsamic, or wine/garlic/shallot/lemon? I suppose if I get desperate, I still have that bottle of TJ's balsamic glaze in the fridge that I could squirt all over everything. Fancy!

Something hot and green, maybe sauteed chard with a grip of garlic? or broccolini?

For dessert, the pumpkin cheesecake from Artisan Vegan Cheese, but with a Biscoff crust. Maybe with some homemade coconut milk ice cream with ginger and Grand Marnier. And some date caramel. Maybe that's gilding the lily.

Both the soup and salad sound good, but I vote for the soup. You should be able to make it several days ahead and just reheat.
For sure go with the wine/garlic/shallot/lemon glaze/reduction! Please? IT sounds so good.
I'm making smokey garlic collard greens, if that's any help in the green department.
Guild the dessert lilly! It can never be too sweet, too creamy, too gooey, or too rich!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

my mom always made a pumpkin custard pie that had like 12 eggs or something. So, I think I'm going to try Terry's pumpkin flan
http://www.powells.com/blog/guests/frid ... pe-romero/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Huh, that looks amazing. I already have a full dessert roster though. But I have the ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Pie day tomorrow! Woo!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I have no money to host a Thanksgiving dinner for my friends this year, but last year the surprise hit was the Chickpea Cutler Roulade. The seitan I was trying to make came out like unyielding rubber twice, so I gave up and made a double batch of the Veganomicon chickpea recipe, put my roulade filling inside, rolled it up, covered it with puff pastry and baked it. So freaking good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Just went shopping with my mom. We couldn't decide between the Gardein Thanksgiving thingy and the Field Roast en croute. My mom likes Gardein the best, but I like Field Roast better. So we got both!

We're having the same sides as always (My mother won't let me change anything!):
-Stuffing (our stuffing recipe is really plain- just bread, celery, onion, margarine and seasonings.)
-Mashed potatoes
-Onions that are... baked? roasted? You peel them, cut them into 8ths, put a pat of margarine and salt & pepper one each one, wrap them up in tin foil and stick 'em in the oven for a while. It's the way my grandfather always cooked them.
-Green beans with almonds
-Gravy
-Pumpkin pie (I meant to pick up some soyatoo at whole foods for the pie but I totally forgot. Really sad about that.)

So excited for all the food!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Do you have coconut oil or coconut milk? If so, you could do Isa's Rad Whip.

I gave up on Soyatoo. The stupid broken bottle stranded me and my pie last Christmas. Never again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 pm 

lavawitch wrote:

I gave up on Soyatoo. The stupid broken bottle stranded me and my pie last Christmas. Never again.

Yep. The box Soyatoo is pretty reliable. But agreed, no more bottles for me either. $5 a piece, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:

Nope. Coconut oil was another thing I was supposed to buy that I completely forgot about! I had a shopping list, but I got distracted navigating through the crowds of last minute shoppers and forgot to check it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just made a maple pecan pie, bought some soy nog, and a tofurkey. my mom is vegan this year for thanksgiving so I get to share the cooking with her and it is awesomeeee (she's doing stuffing/potatoes/sprouts)

edit: I got off easssyyy

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 pm 

I just made my menu while reading this. I've been too busy at work to think about it. For a main I'm going to attempt to veganize my grandma's ham balls. It sounds atrocious, I know, but I'm really excited. The best part about them is the sauce of vinegar and brown sugar so it shouldn't be too hard. There will also be cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (from a can) and relish (Susan V's recipe), roasted veggies, and maybe scalloped corn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I ended up ordering food from the cinnamon snail afterall. I was already excited to eat it, now this thread just reminded me how awesome it is because usually right now I'd be prepping brussel sprouts or something, wondering how I was going to get so many dishes cooked by Thursday. instead, I'm totally chilling.

Not that the other way isn't fun, and I wouldn't do this every year, but it is nice to have a break from cooking.

This is the cinnamon snail food we're getting. it is just me, my vegan husband, 2 year old son and my omni mom who brings a little cutlet of her own precooked meat, but eats everything else I make.

My dish: Pecan sage crusted seitan with smoked garlic gravy, rosemary root vegetable puree, lemon mustard marinated kale, grilled fennel cornbread stuffing and cranberry orange relish.

My husbands: Golden baked tofu loaf stuffed with cranberry wild rice stuffing, with grilled mushroom gravy, roasted garlic smashed potatoes, lemon mustard marinated kale, and parsnip sage bread pudding.

Sides & dessert to share: truffled mac and "Cheese" , Roasted garlic smashed potatoes, Individual Pumpkin Chiffon Pies & their thanksgiving assortment of donuts - cranberry jelly donuts, pumpkin pie donuts, caramel apple crumb donuts, orange spiced chocolate truffle donuts, cranberry gazed cider donuts, and white chocolate glazed pumpkin twists. Man I can't wait to sink into those donuts!

My son is allergic to soy and unfortunately the snail had nothing completely soy free. So he's getting his own rising moon butternut squash raviolis (his favorite) plus homemade peanut butter maple cookies, coconut ice cream & an asian pear for dessert.

For drinks we have Sparkling Black Currant and Pear (the new Soda Stream natural flavor), some spiced apple cider and a bottle of organic red wine.

Wow I'm drooling. I can't wait! Thanksgiving is my favorite eating holiday of the year by far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Getting my vicarious TG thrills here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 am 

Off in a matter of hours to purchase several cans of coconut milk, tofutti, and silken tofu. So excited! I think in honor of all the cooking tonight and tomorrow, I'm ordering in tonight for supper.

Anyone whip coconut milk for their whipped cream? I'm really excited to try it but worried it will be one of those things that are really, really good and I'll end up putting it on everything for the next month without abandon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:59 am 
WRETCHED

I think I finalized what I'm making. I'm making the cranberry sauce tonight and prepping the stuffing tonight.

This is pretty close to what I'd view a traditional Thanksgiving meal or at least what I grew up on. Only major difference is the cranberry sauce, my family always buys the canned and gravy is usually not a mushroom gravy. And of course Gardein instead of turkey.
- Gardein roast
- Stuffing with celery, onions, apples, walnuts & raisins
- Steamed Green beans
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Mushroom gravy
- Cranberry sauce
- Roasted Sweet potatoes
- Apple pie (from frozen)
- Loaf of bread (my inlaws are buying this, usually they buy sourdough but we'll see)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been invited to my guy's friends' (all omnis) and am bringing a Holiday Salad from VegNews and the Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust from Spork Fed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:44 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm making the broccoli quiche from Vegan Brunch, roasted brussels sprouts with cheezy sauce, and chocolate pie!...I also may buy a vegan roast. OOH AND MAKE THE QUICHE INTO MINI QUICHES!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

GymClassZero wrote:

Anyone whip coconut milk for their whipped cream? I'm really excited to try it but worried it will be one of those things that are really, really good and I'll end up putting it on everything for the next month without abandon.

I also have a can of coconut milk (full fat) in my fridge to make a whipped cream out of. but I don't really know what to do with it haha. There are so many options in internet land.

What do you guys do?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've done the refrigerated coconut milk-top-cream (I hope that makes sense, I mean, just buy a can of coconut cream if you see it and want to get down to the point) whipped with powdered sugar and vanilla before. Super rich, but goooood (but heart-burny for me). If you have the stuff for rad whip, totally make it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next