| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Awkward Family Moments During Thanksgiving...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So I was replying on another post and I realized that I cannot possibly be the only one with awkward family crepe that happens during the holidays....anyone else have any funny/weird family holiday issues that they want to share?

Mine is this: Spent the day with cousins. One of them just started crying during the meal...just crying..for apparent reason...and moving her food all over her plate...and of course, our family being the non-confrontational group that we are...no one said anything to her--it was the elephant in the room. Then she got up and went to bed. And didnt come back. And NO ONE mentioned it. :/

A real head scratcher. Im pretty sure that next year, Im going to go out for sushi. Alone.

Post subject: Re: Awkward Family Moments During Thanksgiving...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:34 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

So awkward!!! I'm so sorry. Gah, the holidays. I feel like I'll never make it through. Everything feels super awkward with my family. I mean, my sister and I are really close, live by each other, talk all the time, so I love spending the holidays with her. My parents, though... it just feels agonizing because we don't talk about anything real ever. It's these very painful surface conversations that just make me want to SCREAM. I barely drink in my real life, but I walked into my sister's house today and drained a glass of wine in about three minutes. I just can't take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:49 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We used to go to my Aunt's house for Thanksgiving. The last time we went my cousin was retching/heaving at the table because he pounded at least 12 beers in the hours before dinner. My Aunt was calmly asking him to leave the table and he just ignored her. My Uncle kept talking to me as if nothing was happening. It went on for like 5 minutes! Finally the cousin leaves the table to throw up and when he comes back he grabs another beer!! No one talks about it! It was so tense and I am not used to that and it is not the way I want to be on Thanksgiving. My husband and kids were just flabbergasted because we are the types to talk and have confrontations in the moment and not that this is the best way of handling things but ignoring is definitely not either. Ugh!

We now have a drama free, vegan friendly Thanksgiving at home and we don't have to get all stressed out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

happy jo wrote:
We used to go to my Aunt's house for Thanksgiving. The last time we went my cousin was retching/heaving at the table because he pounded at least 12 beers in the hours before dinner. My Aunt was calmly asking him to leave the table and he just ignored her. My Uncle kept talking to me as if nothing was happening. It went on for like 5 minutes! Finally the cousin leaves the table to throw up and when he comes back he grabs another beer!! No one talks about it! It was so tense and I am not used to that and it is not the way I want to be on Thanksgiving. My husband and kids were just flabbergasted because we are the types to talk and have confrontations in the moment and not that this is the best way of handling things but ignoring is definitely not either. Ugh!

We now have a drama free, vegan friendly Thanksgiving at home and we don't have to get all stressed out!

You know, that sounds like some crazy stuff that would totally go on at my family's dinners. This time, it was my husbands cousins...and yes, I wanted so badly to ask her what was wrong, but her dad just ignored it and kept giving her "the look"...when she went to the bathroom for about the 10th time, I asked her dad if she was ok, and he just sort of got snappy and defensive with me...

I like your idea of just having it at your home...I think next year, that is what Im going to do. I LOVE Thanksgivng, but this year with family was just such a let down. Maybe its my fault for building it up too much. Last year was spent with friends, as we were living outside the country, and that was a lot more stress free and fun.

Why cant family be that way too??? They always seem to bring their issues to the table, so to speak.