| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: miyoko's unturkey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i haven't made a turkey since this thread last year, but i was intending on doing my usual plop the entire lump of bryanna's dough in my oval crockpot for 6-8 hours while assembling the other stuff, and then when it's all nice and firm out of the crockpot, i was going to put the yuba on top and sides. (probably avoiding the bottom, since it wasn't as tasty) and bake it that way. leaving the stuffing on the side. (cutting the unturkey last year while the stuffing was inside was awkward, and i'm all about efficiency.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:23 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've been making Bryanna's seitan turkey recipe for like 10 years, but I've always halved it since there's only a few of us and we make so much other food! I used to use just one loaf pan for the halved recipe but the last 3 years I've used my oval slowcooker - however, I don't like how flat it gets on the bottom due to the shape of the cooker so last year I wrapped the loaf (unstuffed) in cheesecloth so it kept more of a cylindrical shape. Man oh man, the end product, thinly sliced, is so freaking delicious. The slowcooker eliminates all the bullshiitake problems I've had with my ovens, because it seems like every oven in various apartments I've rented has a hard time staying at a low temp and there's nothing worse than checking on your loaf and seeing that the temp is now 100 degrees higher than it should be!
also, I don't wrap the turkey in yuba because another old tradition is to ALSO make her tofu turkey (which fulfills my need for stuffing too!) and the yuba holds that together. We look forward to both of these "main dishes" like, all year long.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh!!!!!!! that gives me an idea. i think this year i might slowcook it inside yuba. (i never had a huge problem with it going flat, but it'd be nice to have it look a little bit like something that isn't the bottom of a slow cooker. :-)

i might also bake some potatoes in there too. (the roast from vegan on the cheap or RR's slow cooker book had some awesome roasted potatoes, so it might be nice to prop it up that way and get some bonus roasted taters)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 pm 
FAYGO

Hrm. I can borrow a crockpot but I've never used one before so I'm kind of nervous about using it for the first time on such a big meal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think my local Buddhist restaurant uses fresh yuba for their roast "duck" and it's delicious, but I bought some dried sheets and they had this really weird smell and taste that it was impossible to mask. I've never seen fresh yuba for sale here!