| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foods that freeze and reheat....and aren't gross.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

HELP!

I'm in charge of the vegan options for my extended family's Thanksgiving. I'll be coming to this Thanksgiving from another Thanksgiving both of which are about 5 hours from my home (and 5 hours apart from each other). My eventual destination does have a grocery store, but I can't count on it to have any special products (I seriously doubt they sell tofu).

Anyway, I would like to do my cooking about a week ahead of time and freeze it - for my parents to bring up the day of.

I have never cooked anything to freeze and reheat later, so I'm really not sure what to go with. I've heard that soups freeze well, but they don't really scream "Thanksgiving Dinner" to me, so I'm coming here for help!

Please help!! :)

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Foods that freeze and reheat....and aren't gross.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Seitan freezes really well, so if you want to make some sort of fancy turkey seitan, go for it. Cook potatoes freeze well (don't freeze raw ones, they will turn brown) so you could make up some mashed potatoes and some sweet potatoes. If your parents can thaw it for you and bring it in a cooler, you could make up a sweet potato casserole in an oven-safe and freezer-safe pan. I think a lentil or butternut squash soup would be a fine addition to a thanksgiving spread.

What other thanksgiving foods do you like?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It probably doesn't scream Thanksgiving dinner, but I know that chili freezes and reheats really well! It is warm and yummy and would act as a great side dish, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Some years I make a big casserole that's sorta like a tamale pie - it's beans and corn and peppers and onions and various spices with a polenta top. I think it's really "harvesty" and also it would definitely freeze super well. The recipe I use is called Three Sisters Stew from a less-widely-known book called Healthy Hedonist Holidays. Maybe you could find it on google books, or just find something similar online?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Seitan roasts definitely. And I think most casseroles and lasagna freeze well. If you want something seasonal, maybe Vcon's Pumpkin Baked Ziti? I probably wouldn't freeze the crumb topping, but add it later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:51 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I am going to make this seitan recipe

http://www.theppk.com/2011/11/seitan-ro ... and-leeks/

I don't need to freeze it, but it does freeze wonderfully according to the directions.

Some soups are pretty thanksgivingy (is that a word? it is now). Like a nice butternut squash soup, or a sweet potato bisque. And don't forget, there are a TON of great pumpkin soups out there. They would all freeze well. Make a ton, and it will be a great first course!

Why not make the very supermarket friendly stuff when you get there? Like mashed potatoes, roasted veggies. Those are easy to find ingredients for, and also to make. You can make gravy before and freeze it!

Pie does not freeze well, but it travels pretty well. Just wrap in foil and you are good for a day or so.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for posting this...I was wondering the same thing myself. And welcome to the PPK.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:47 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks everyone! I made the seitan roast, so we'll see how it reheats! It tasted good right out of the oven.