| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbook Challenge - Week 10 - Low Cal Vegan Comfort Food
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here's the thread for Quick and Easy Low Cal Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia Simpson.
If you don't have access to any of the cookbooks, you may also choose an alternate book, just remember to post all your results here.

Choose 3 or more recipes from the selected cookbook of the week and tell us about it! Post pictures, comments or anything else you can think of here. If you choose to switch books around and do this cookbook on a different week, feel free to come back and post in this thread anytime.

Here's the line up for the remaining weeks:

September 9 – Isa and Terry FREE CHOICE – Pick any book from the amazing duo – V’con, VV, AFR, VWAV, VB, etc.
September 16 – World Vegan Feast
September 23 – Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites
September 30 – Vegan Diner
October 7 – Yellow Rose Recipes
October 14 – Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day
October 21 – Isa and Terry FREE CHOICE – V’con, VV, AFR, VCIYCJ, VWAV, VB, etc.
October 28 – Chloe’s Kitchen
November 4 - American Vegan Kitchen
November 11 - Quick and Easy Low Cal Vegan Comfort Food
November 18 - 500 Vegan Recipes
November 25 – Isa and Terry FREE CHOICE – V’con, VV, AFR, VCIYCJ, VWAV, VB, etc.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: Cookbook Challenge - Week 10 - Low Cal Vegan Comfort Foo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:53 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Allright. Finally a week that I have a cookbook so that I can participate!

Last night I made the Andouille Gumbo with the Andouille Sausages

I did make some variations to the recipe, here is what I did an how it turned out (no pics sorry. I was too hungry)

The Sausages were really easy to make, a no-knead recipe. It did call for soy flour, but I didn't have any, and my local store does not have it in the bulk bins so I just used Garbanzo Bean flour. I also amped up the spices a bit (I always do) adding more pepper (white, red, black) and some smoked paprika. They came out pretty dense and somewhat dry, but they are cooked IN the gumbo, so they were great by the time the gumbo was done, nice an moist. Perhaps they would not have been so dense if I used soy flour, but I thought they were fine.

The Gumbo makes 10 servings, so I decided to half it. Well, I halved pretty much everything except for the spices (as usual for me) and I added paprika because I love it. Can't imagine a gumbo like this without paprika! Also added more pepper to make it spicy.

The roux was easy to make, although it did take longer than 20 minutes. It browned up pretty quickly once I turned up the heat. The gumbo was super thick when it was done. The recipe did not indicate to cook covered or uncovered, so I did about half and half (needed to use the lid for something else halfway through either). I ended up putting in some extra veggie broth near the end to thin it out just a little bit. I skipped the spinach at the end (last step) since we were having collards on the side, and my partner does not really like spinach anyway.

Results: Delicious. We really liked it. Leftovers were great. Perhaps next time I will make it slightly thinner with more broth, just because that is the way we like our gumbo, more soupy. You definitely need a green to go with it if you skip the spinach like I did, to balance out the richness. NOTE: this is not a fast weeknight meal, at least not for me. It did take awhile to make. Good Sunday night dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Have been thinking about buying this so am looking forward to seeing what people make and what they think!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

mattomic, check out the thread in the Cookbook forum. I really like this book. It is getting a lot of use in my house.

Last night I made the Baked Risotto

I am a big risotto fan, I make it in the wintertime often, and it is a common dish when I have company. I have never tried a shortcut risotto before, i.e. baked, pressure cooker, par-cooked rice etc. Always done the broth-stir, broth-stir, broth-stir, broth-stir, method for 20 + minutes.

This came out amazing. I was really impressed with the results. It came out the way I like my risotto, sticky and not soupy.

I did make a couple of changes (always). Less squash and more carrots, and added peas since my partner loves peas and carrots, not really squash/zuchinni kind of guy. (But he even loved the squash in this!) I replaced half the water with stock for more flavor. I also only used 1/4 cup of nooch at the end instead of 1/2 cup, and it was still very cheezy. My partner even liked it, and he HATES nooch. He wondered why it tasted so cheezy.

I am now a big fan of baked risotto. Will be making this again. Will be easy to switch up the veggies if you want, although I was really happy with what I used. Asparagus would be nice in it though. Going to make the risotto cakes with the leftovers later this week.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:21 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

mattomic, check out the thread in the Cookbook forum. I really like this book. It is getting a lot of use in my house.

Last night I made the Baked Risotto

I am a big risotto fan, I make it in the wintertime often, and it is a common dish when I have company. I have never tried a shortcut risotto before, i.e. baked, pressure cooker, par-cooked rice etc. Always done the broth-stir, broth-stir, broth-stir, broth-stir, method for 20 + minutes.

This came out amazing. I was really impressed with the results. It came out the way I like my risotto, sticky and not soupy.

I did make a couple of changes (always). Less squash and more carrots, and added peas since my partner loves peas and carrots, not really squash/zuchinni kind of guy. (But he even loved the squash in this!) I replaced half the water with stock for more flavor. I also only used 1/4 cup of nooch at the end instead of 1/2 cup, and it was still very cheezy. My partner even liked it, and he HATES nooch. He wondered why it tasted so cheezy.

I am now a big fan of baked risotto. Will be making this again. Will be easy to switch up the veggies if you want, although I was really happy with what I used. Asparagus would be nice in it though. Going to make the risotto cakes with the leftovers later this week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Really, nobody else did this? sadface.

I made the risotto cakes with the leftover (baked) risotto leftover from dinner earlier in the week.

They were yum. good way to use up leftover risotto. Will make again for sure.