| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Costco thread - tasty finds, sad letdowns
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:30 pm 
Stepford Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
Yesterday I found a bag of free trade dark chocolate sea salt almond bark thins. They are very nice. $8.99 for a pretty large bag.

the bark thins are good!!! i wish they had large bags of the mint ones!

i saw select costcos are carrying large jars of big slice apple chunks...i hope we get 'em!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:34 pm 
Stepford Vegan

we got these chickpea chips today - soooooo good we tore open the bag in the parking lot after going back for samples. we also got pecans - best price in town, large shakers of tajin and agave...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Not a food find, but they are selling Cuisinart hard anodized 5.5 qt skillets (w/lid) for $24.99. That's half the price on Amazon. I love this skillet, it's huge and the nonstick is great. Barely requires any oil, and so easy to clean. Of course, now I want all other sizes, too, which aren't available at Costco.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My roommate just got a membership and the canadian site anyway has 10 lbs of vegan fake meat assortment we can order it online for 119$ and it is delivered to the door.

Haven't done the comparison but 12$/lb seems pricey, but then again depending on the style of fake meat maybe it's on par with the smaller packs from other grocery stores.

eta: Just check and the PC Vegan chicken breasts are roughly 2lbs for 13$(give or take) so the costco thing isn't a super good deal but perhaps depending on the prices of the other variety of vegan meats else ware it could be?

There site form the look of it offered 10 lbs for 119$ for just ground, just chicken or a mixture which seems to include a mix of vegan chicken, ground, sausage links etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sad letdown -- a coworker brought in Aussie Bites, and said they were vegan. I looked at the label and had 2. I didn't realize until much later that butter is one of the top ingredients! I guess I missed it because of the random bold items on the ingredients list (for some reason canola oil is in bold). Extra sad because they were good... Now I want to find a recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Today my store had 2-lb bags of those sea salt and turbinado sugar chocolate covered almonds like TJ's sells for $10 and 48-oz jars of original Vegenaise for $8. I didn't buy either and I feel like I let someone down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Found some good chipotle vegan burgers, also saw vegan protein powder for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

That "snacking chocolate" stuff, that's fair trade dark chocolate bark type pieces with either pumpkin seeds or almonds and sea salt, is so amazing and I feel like crying when they don't have it. The way they call it "snacking chocolate" really convinces me that I should be eating it all day long.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The worst thing about that chocolate is that it is so cheap, but Wegmans has better flavors at 4x the cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:28 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

mooo wrote:
That "snacking chocolate" stuff, that's fair trade dark chocolate bark type pieces with either pumpkin seeds or almonds and sea salt, is so amazing and I feel like crying when they don't have it. The way they call it "snacking chocolate" really convinces me that I should be eating it all day long.

Aw... I got the almonds and sea salt ones instead, now I wonder if I should have bought the bark...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

Combination of tasty find and sad letdown - I have been buying a vegan protein powder from Costco for probably a year now, Complete Green Protein by Leanfit Naturals. It seems that Costco is in the process of replacing that with a similar product from Vega. While I love a lot of Vega's stuff, the new product doesn't taste as good, comes in a smaller container and is more expensive. Not impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I just got a big pack of Hail Merry lime mini tarts from our Costco! They are out of Dallas so I'm not sure if they would have them outside of TX, but they are totally delicious. And another bag of Bark Thins, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:50 pm 
Semen Strong

We get sprouted lentils, blackbean pasta,organic berries and chia seeds at our CostCo. We also got good guacamole and rice chips. Yum!

Sad let down : of the 3 melons we bought 2 went rotten before we could use them, within a week. Not impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 am 
Saggy Butt

I got my husband the Pita Pal brand Organic Balela. It's a salad of chickpeas, black beans and spices. He loved it however I don't like parsley so I couldn't do it. It's $7.99 or so and he made it last for the bulk of his lunch for 3 days. It's near the tofu and salsa in the fridge section.

You could definitely make it for cheaper, but convenience won this time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:56 am 

My husband and I went to Costco today and were surprised to find four different varieties of Gardein in the freezer section. We've been buying the mandarin chick'n there for a long time. But now they also the fishless filets, crispy chicken tenders, and Szechuan beef. We bought one of each!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coworker of mine brought in some edamame trail mix she snagged at costco. it was crazy delicious! just dried cranberries, edamame, pumpkin seeds and almonds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Pinko wrote:
Today my store had 2-lb bags of those sea salt and turbinado sugar chocolate covered almonds like TJ's sells for $10 and 48-oz jars of original Vegenaise for $8. I didn't buy either and I feel like I let someone down.

COSTCO SELLS LARGE JARS OF VEGENAISE FOR CHEAP???? WHERE WAS THIS? SoDo??

I'm off to text my father now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:49 pm 
Semen Strong

WHOA cheap Vegannaise?! I haven't seen it in our NJ store, but a girl can dream.

We've been getting the Wholly Guacamole which freezes really well and is all avocado and vinegar so its very yummy. After a few bouts of buying avocados that went bad within minutes, I think its just cheaper to buy and freeze guac.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:00 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My Coscto was restocking the books this morning and I saw Keep it Vegan by Aine Carlin. I've had it for a couple of weeks but I haven't made anything yet. From flipping through, the recipes look good but pretty basic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I went to Costco last week and got so many vegan samples! Nutzo butter (a nut butter blend), vegan macaroons, three kinds of kale chips, a garbanzo- black bean salad, and one other thing I can't remember. So fun!

I stocked up on my usual supply of bolanis and Hodo Yuba strips. My costco has Orgain brand protein powder and it looks good, but I have a lot of protein powder already at home to go through first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:09 pm 

Vegan Finger Foods and The Great Vegan Protein Book - $13.99 each at my local Costco today. My son bought me both of them for my birthday - yay!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

one thing that bums me out about Costco (or maybe it's just my local one!) is that the only flour they sell is bleached. I bake pretty much all of our rolls/bagels so like to have a ton of flour on hand but I feel pretty sketchy about bleached flour! It all says "For Restaurants and Hotels" on it too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

zinnia wrote:
Vegan Finger Foods and The Great Vegan Protein Book - $13.99 each at my local Costco today. My son bought me both of them for my birthday - yay!

wow, that's awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

Seattle Sodo Costco alert! They have Hail Merry mini Lemon tarts that look soooo good!! They are raw, vegan & gluten free!
http://www.hailmerry.com/miracle-tarts/ ... -tart.html

I'm avoiding added sugars right now (they have agave & palm sugar) but I'll definitely look for them the next time I'm in!

Other vegan goodies of note: Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts, 3 types of Daves Killer Bread, Field Roast multipacks and Harmless Harvest Coconut water. Plus the usual nuts, beans, quinoa, tofu, dried fruit, nut butters & fresh produce.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 pm 
WRETCHED

I went today and they had large jars of better than bouillon. I was sad they didn't have the unchicken one but I'll take what I can get.

Our costco is kind of sad, I don't think they have vegan veggie burgers any more. I did see veggie yakisoba and veggie potstickers but didn't investigate either close enough to see if they are vegan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next