| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Costco thread - tasty finds, sad letdowns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

meh: found frozen chopped kale. Thought it would be great for smoothies, unfortunately it seems to be mostly stems :(

Still pleased with the frozen berries and chia seeds for my smoothies though

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

FAIL: CostCo (at least the one by me) has replaced Noah's bagels with Einstein Bros bagels. I've read that their bagels contain L-cysteine from animal sources, and their FAQ says they have no vegan products. I'm pretty legit upset about this because I would only buy bagels from CostCo and freeze them. :/

They also no longer stock Kirkland peanut butter.

WIN: They do carry giant sacks of Bob's Red Mill fast-cooking steel cut oats.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Pierogies!! They were doing a demo today--Pat and somebody's pierogies. They were all vegetarian by the look the venders were calling out that they were veg, so I checked to see if they were vegan, and two kinds were. They are so good. Mom and I had to repeatedly sample them to figure out which kind to buy (spinach/potato or potato/onion). We settled on potato/onion as the tastiest.

I hope they start carrying these.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mine had twin packs of big jars of hearts of palm. Ceviche time!

I hope the pierogi aren't a regional thing. I would be ridiculously excited about Costco-size quantities of premade vegan pierogi.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It was a road show demo thing, so I think the company is trying to get stocked.

I want to go back and get a couple more bags. They are good! Great cold for lunch. They really taste homemade.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

lavawitch wrote:
Pierogies!! They were doing a demo today--Pat and somebody's pierogies. They were all vegetarian by the look the venders were calling out that they were veg, so I checked to see if they were vegan, and two kinds were. They are so good. Mom and I had to repeatedly sample them to figure out which kind to buy (spinach/potato or potato/onion). We settled on potato/onion as the tastiest.

I hope they start carrying these.

Oh good heavens. I so want pierogis. They sell them at the Costco here, but the contain cheese. I wonder if there's a chance they'll switch. Or, I could just use the VEW recipe and make them myself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 am 
WRETCHED

I never had a piergie but I think I saw some vegan ones in the store the other day. I thought about getting them but got distracted I think.

I'm probably going to Costco next week, I'll take my time and see what I can find. Although I may try to convince my husband to go with me to the OTHER Costco. Ours is crazy nearly every day of the week and a nightmare. If we drive to another one, it is nice, calm, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I saw a post on Daiya's Facebook page that someone in WA found a 3-pack of Daiya at Costco.

Probably too much to wish for that I might find such a thing in KY tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Vegan pierogies!! Shiiiiiitake, time to start haunting the place. And Daiya!!

For the person asking about Field Roast in San Diego (sorry, just saw that) I've bought it at the Friar's Rd/Mission Valley location near Qualcomm. I think the address is in this thread somewhere. I haven't been to Costco for a month or so, but the last few times they haven't had it, I think because they'd made room for holiday stuff in its place.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

karichelle wrote:
I saw a post on Daiya's Facebook page that someone in WA found a 3-pack of Daiya at Costco.

WHAT. Did they say where?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Looks like it was in Bellingham. I am so going to have to look this next week. I am quite a bit south of there but still in the same state!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, man! We need to get katiejayne to buy it all up and start a Daiya pipeline.

I wonder where they stock it? Would it be by the cheese? I never look there, so my store could have it and I'd never know. Hmm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

beanspark wrote:
FAIL: CostCo (at least the one by me) has replaced Noah's bagels with Einstein Bros bagels. I've read that their bagels contain L-cysteine from animal sources, and their FAQ says they have no vegan products. I'm pretty legit upset about this because I would only buy bagels from CostCo and freeze them. :/

Noah's Bagels aren't vegan either. I was surprised! :(

I think they aren't kosher anymore either, which was also surprising to me, but I could be wrong about that. The L-cysteine makes for unkosherness, and I know that Noah's used to have some kosher locations...but now Noah's, Einstein and Manhattan are all the same company:
http://www.einsteinnoah.com/

So, yeah. I am sorry to be a bagel bummer!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

not food but i got a good deal on oxo pop food air tight food containers. those are usually off the hook expensive, and while an 8 peice set is still pricey at $48, it made it affordable enough for me to outfit my whole pantry with them. it's soooo nice to have an organized pantry!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Pinko wrote:
Oh, man! We need to get katiejayne to buy it all up and start a Daiya pipeline.

I wonder where they stock it? Would it be by the cheese? I never look there, so my store could have it and I'd never know. Hmm.

I would go check it out but I don't have a Costco card (also the Costco here is always crazy on the weekends and I am afraid to go there)! I'm surprised that they word have Daiya at the Bellingham Costco.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm 
Huffs Nooch

madeleine.teacup wrote:
beanspark wrote:

Noah's Bagels aren't vegan either. I was surprised! :(

I think they aren't kosher anymore either, which was also surprising to me, but I could be wrong about that. The L-cysteine makes for unkosherness, and I know that Noah's used to have some kosher locations...but now Noah's, Einstein and Manhattan are all the same company:
http://www.einsteinnoah.com/

So, yeah. I am sorry to be a bagel bummer!

This is terrible! I hate the grocery-store bagels that come in plastic bags. :( But those seem like the only option now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

beanspark wrote:
This is terrible! I hate the grocery-store bagels that come in plastic bags. :( But those seem like the only option now.

I know! You should have seen my face when I asked if the hummous was vegan - I'd recently been somewhere that put mayonnaise in it?!?! - and the guy was like, Yes - but our bagels aren't vegan. You could have...knocked me over with a feather, as it were.

I just make my own bagels now. Lest I sound crunchier-than-thou about it, this means I have bagels every fifth of Never these days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:41 pm 
WRETCHED

So I went to Costco to collect my annual cash back and it was somewhat disappointing. No field roast products. They actually had the veggie patch meatless meatballs in the section with the regular meat balls (those aren't vegan I don't think, but it was an oddity). They didn't have much, even less than I saw last time that was vegan friendly. I did buy tofu that was really cheap, organic dried figs, dried coconut pieces and coconut water.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This thread just reminds me I am hugely overdue for a Costco run.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So there are 2 Costcos in my area. The one closest to me had nothing. The older one about 30 miles away? That is where I found the Daiya. 2 mozz shredds and 1 cheddar shredds for $10. Right in the cheese area. They also had Melissa's cooked black lentils 4 pack for $10. I know it would be easy to cook my own but some days it just saves me from bad food choices. Both the Costco's had the huge bag of chickenless nuggets by Gardein. Both have sold out of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I mooch off my mother's Costco card, but don't get the opportunity to go myself. Recently she found a pack of mini-hummus containers (perfect for lunch/snacks!) and some vegan ciabatta bread/rolls (in NH). She said there had veggie dumplings - but they had egg in them... WHY!?! Lame.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 am 
Not NOT A Furry

There's daiya at the Mountain View CA location. Also there is a huge end cap with Bob's Red Mill stuff (gluten free flour mix!, steel cut oats, muesli) and some other raw items (I didn't look too closely). They also now have Bunny Bars. I went Saturday and I should have dug up this post sooner, I can't remember all the new stuff I saw.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

veganlemur wrote:
I mooch off my mother's Costco card, but don't get the opportunity to go myself. Recently she found a pack of mini-hummus containers (perfect for lunch/snacks!) and some vegan ciabatta bread/rolls (in NH). She said there had veggie dumplings - but they had egg in them... WHY!?! Lame.

I found those hummus packs once and really liked them! And they were cheap - $3 for like 12 of them (or maybe it was only 8? It seemed like a good deal either way). I went back for more, but they were gone, and I haven't seen them since. I go to two different costcos and neither has them anymore. Sad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 am 
Nooch of Earl

Woah Daiya!! At least it freezes well.

I'm due for a trip back. I liked the mini-hummi but only saw them the first couple times I was in there. I wish they'd carry the Wild Garden shelf stable ones because hubby can keep those on his boat, where the feeding situation is..iffy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 am 
Discovered unobtainium

28oz Manitoba Harvest hemp hearts for $15! I've been paying $8 for 1/3 of that to use in my smoothies.

Not, very tasty, but I also got black Calvin Klein cropped pants for $17. They had them in pretty colors, but I'm just not a blue pants person. These ones seem to run small.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next