| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me win a cookie contest!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:45 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Our department is having a cookie bake-off as part of Pharmacy Week on Wednesday.

Help me win!! There are no allergies that I'm aware of, I need something that is fairly quick to make, or at least make the dough on Monday and bake on Tuesday. I don't have access to real maple syrup. What I do have at home are a gigantic bag of dates, some peanut butter, and cocoa powder, if that helps. I can buy other things easily.

Looking at the PPK blog, I was thinking of making the peanut butter chocolate pillows (what do i sub for the maple?) and/or the whole wheat fig bars, but with dates...those sound boring though!!

Help! I could make 2 different types, no problem. What would you make to kick the competition's butt?

Thanks PPK!

Post subject: Re: Help me win a cookie contest!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

If you have Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, the Banana Everything Cookies on p. 58 are my number 1 go-to. For simplicity's sake, I replace the oats with a scant 2/3 cup flour, and omit the walnuts for all those nut haters out there. These are especially nice the next day, so you would be fine making them the day before.

If you want something a little more involved, I especially love the Minono's on p. 150. These are amazing dunked in coffee or tea, and also better the next day.

As for the chocolate pillows, that recipe is also in the same book. However, while tasty, I have not had success with this recipe. Mine spread a lot and ended up being large round cookies with a lump in the middle (the 8-year-old in me thinks they look a bit... nipply). I wouldn't suggest that recipe unless you've had a chance to practice it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The chewy chocolate raspberry cookies in v'con always wow people. You will need to buy raspberry jam, and I recommend seedless. They are also super quick and easy to make.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:53 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The lazy samoas (it first autocorrected to samosa!) in VCTOYCJ. Not sure if they have maple syrup but I don't think so. They're super awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:53 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
The chewy chocolate raspberry cookies in v'con always wow people. You will need to buy raspberry jam, and I recommend seedless. They are also super quick and easy to make.

I was going to recommend these also! They are insanely easy and always seem to impress people. The jam makes them a little chewy, and I think they wow people because they look like unsuspecting, simple chocolate cookies but then the taste is surprisingly complex because of the fruit. Those pb chocolate pillows are pretty amazing, but more involved. And one more - the gigantoid pb-oat cookies in vwav are very, very delicious and always a huge hit. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:23 am 
Hail Seitan!

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
The chewy chocolate raspberry cookies in v'con always wow people.

heatherkelly wrote:
And one more - the gigantoid pb-oat cookies in vwav are very, very delicious and always a huge hit. Good luck!

Yep, those were my votes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:26 am 
BAD PASS

Basically every cookie I've made from a PPK recipe has been awesome.

Another one that everyone always really likes is the German's Chocolate Cookie from Bake & Destroy, if you have her cookbook.

I googled to see if she'd blogged that recipe and found it here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm making the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles for a camping trip this weekend, they are always a crowd-pleaser. But they also call for maple syrup and agave would be the only thing I can think of that would work. Or maybe making a simple syrup from scratch, but I'm not sure that you can replace a liquid sweetener with anything but another liquid sweetener.
http://www.theppk.com/2009/09/mexican-h ... erdoodles/

The Peanut Butter Blondies on the PPK blog look really easy and delicious, but not a cookie.
http://www.theppk.com/2010/09/peanut-butter-blondies/

I tried making the Peanut Butter Chocolate pillows once and it was a disaster. Tasted great, looked terrible. I found them difficult to assemble but I'm not the world's greatest baker by any means.

I love a good old peanut butter cookie and these are excellent.
http://blissfulbasil.com/2013/10/06/sof ... uten-free/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

you can never go wrong with those Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies from VCON. All easy ingredients, they seem very normal and "non-vegan" and the recipe as is makes a pretty big batch. So forking delicious too, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:22 pm 

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to go with the majority vote and make the chewy chocolate raspberry cookies (CCRC's).

The second cookie is up in the air, I love all the suggestions so far. But perhaps I should make a non-chocolate one to contrast the CCRC's (non-chocolate? blasphemy, i know)

I have until Sunday to decide! Keep the votes/suggestions coming! :-)

ETA: They said only one cookie per entrant. Boo. So CCRC's flicks the weasel!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

My all-time favorite cookies are the alfajores from Viva Vegan! They're a caramel filling sandwiched between two thin shortbreads. ZOMG. They are a bit fiddly compared to most cookies I make (rolling out dough, [I think the dough has to rest in the fridge overnight or for at least a few hours] using cookie cutter, baking shortbreads, making filling, and assembly) so don't really fulfill the 'easy' side of things and if you make them, make sure you cook the caramel filling really well as the filling can run out between the two cookies if it's not quite thick enough--they're still delicious though, even runny but not a good look for a contest entry!

Good luck! Many other great suggestions here. Another fan of the gigantoid peanut butter/oatmeal cookies from VwaV.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:44 pm 

Whoa...those alfajores sound amazing! I'm putting them on my must-try list...probably later when this kid growing in me gives me back a little energy :-)

I did a test run of the chewy chocolate raspberry cookies. They seemed to be missing...something. I didn't have almond extract, so I upped the vanilla. Would that take away some of the flavor? I used Safeway seedless red raspberry preserves. Everything else was followed exactly to the recipe. (OK, I also flattened them with a sugar-dipped cup bottom for a chocolate crinkle-type look.)

Should I buy the almond extract? And/or some good chocolate chips for some texture? (I don't have any other use for the preserves so I'm keen on going with this one.) Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:54 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Yes to the almond extract (it's useful in a lot of baked goodies), and I was going to suggest adding chocolate chips if you feel like they need something. I have taken these to parties/picnics before and they are definitely a hit!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

My fave chocolate cookie recipe are the chocolate mint melties from Dreena's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan.

It calls for a vegan dark mint chocolate bar and I like to add the (I think they're optional) crushed peppermints--I always make these at Christmas and grind up some candy canes in my mortar and pestle to sprinkle over the cookies before they go in the oven.

Here's a link to that recipe from Dreena's blog: http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.ca/2 ... lties.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:06 am 
Hail Seitan!

Nicole wrote:
Yes to the almond extract (it's useful in a lot of baked goodies), and I was going to suggest adding chocolate chips if you feel like they need something. I have taken these to parties/picnics before and they are definitely a hit!

Seconding this; the almond extract is very important. It's also good in chocolate pudding, if you need more ways to use up the bottle.

The Chocolate Raspberry Cookie was my introduction to almond extract. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

the minonos are way better than the chewy raspberry ones. (my suggestion is to put the chocolate in a carrot bag [or ziploc with a corner cut off] and squeeze it on the cookie rather than dipping it. makes them so much less messy.

if you want to go with a basic chocolate chip, my favorite is the one from sticky fingers bakery. (they're seriously the best. you can undercook them for chewy or cook fully for crispy.) http://www.veganappetite.com/2012/02/st ... ntest.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:37 pm 

Yep, the almond extract made a huge difference! I'll let you guys know if we won tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:33 am 
Hail Seitan!

Fingers crossed, monou!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 pm 

Well we lost :-( But they were delicious and all got eaten!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:48 am 
Hail Seitan!

Aww, nuts. Glad to hear the cookies went over well!