| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seitan with a stand mixer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am new to making seitan, and while my attempts have come out ok, the texture could use a little work. Also, I have a really hard time shaping mine nicely. I don't know if it's under-kneaded or over-kneaded or this is just what it's like. Complicating things is the fact that I broke my wrist, so no hand kneading anything for me for a while. So rather than be negative, I've decided to look at this as my opportunity to try with my stand mixer.

When I did a search on here I saw several people say they used their stand mixer, but no one gave exact instructions. So, those of you who do this, how long and on what speed do you mix? Do you let it rest before shaping? If so, for how long?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Sesitan with a stand mixer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:56 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i use my stand mixer, but i don't overmix. i really just use it to mix things up, it's not a crazy knead thing. i figure there's really no need to, but i haven't really thought about it too much. i mix it the same way i would muffin batter- things incorporated, and that's about it. i'm curious how others do it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Do you have a bread machine? The only time I can get seitan to come out ok is when I just use the dough cycle and keep my hands off the stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I don't have a bread machine. I do make bread with I stand mixed twice a week though, so if it does well when kneaded like bread, I know what to do. But that rounds like the opposite of what Torque does.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I use my mixer, but the last time I made some (from vegan crunk, but I do admit to accidentally adding too much gluten) I stripped one of the gears, so I can't use it at all until we replace the part. I use the paddle since it seems to work better than the kneading spiral, so that's another oopsie on me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this recipe http://www.thewickedgoodvegan.com/2011/ ... de-seitan/ suggests that kneading more will make it puff up less.
I probably should have specified that I only make seitan to make snausages- so I am mixing in beans, seasonings, etc, and then putting in the gluten last, and i want those little snaussies to puff up and fill the foil. Also, as mentioned, I found that when I kneaded it too much, I had a hard time breaking them up and forming them into sausages.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really liked steamed seitan recipes like the white seitan in Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero. I never liked seitan until I started making steamed versions of the stuff. I know that's not totally related to your question, but I thought I'd mention it!

Post subject: Re: Seitan with a stand mixer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:17 pm 
Chip Strong

I knead it with my stand mixer for a good five minutes, then cook it in my pressure cooker for about 45 mins, starting out with cold broth. Turns out perfect every time! I have way too many kitchen appliances but get good use out of them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

I knead with my stand mixer for 4-5 minutes? I'm not sure, I don't really time it, but sometimes I've definitely gotten distracted and left it going longer. Then I let it rest for 10 minutes and knead again for 30 seconds or so. I do the foil-wrapped steaming method in my pressure cooker (2nd red ring for 25 minutes).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:22 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I recently got a KitchenAid (yaaaaaay! a pro version from someone on craigslist for half-price) and one of the big reasons is the Bryanna Clark Grogan seitan roasts I make during the fall/winter holidays. They are a gluten/tofu mix so I'm not too worried about stripping gears etc. She calls for kneading in a stand mixer but I've been making them for at least 13 years, at first just kneading weakly by hand, then progressing to a food processor when I finally got one, but I've always been afraid of killing the motor on my food processor. Can't wait to see if this year's loaves are even more outstanding!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thank you for all of the replies. I have had a lot of other food to use up since my husband went to costco and went produce crazy, but I think tonight I will finally have time to try your tips. I will definitely report back!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

No advice, but "Seitan with a stand mixer" would be an awesome name for an all vegan death metal band.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I finally was able to make the seitan today. It came out great. I think I hadn't been mixing it long enough before. I went with 5 minutes, let it rest for 10, then loosely shaped it, and steamed it. The texture is the best I have made so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

cool! next time i make it maybe i'll let it knead a bit more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

pickledtreats wrote:
I really liked steamed seitan recipes like the white seitan in Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero. I never liked seitan until I started making steamed versions of the stuff. I know that's not totally related to your question, but I thought I'd mention it!

Same, I am a complete failure at simmered seitan, but the steamed recipes come out fantastic for me! I like the chicky seitan and the steamy beany seitan from IDI.