| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brunch Potluck Potato Hash Help!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My job is having a holiday brunch potluck this Wed. and I volunteered to bring potato hash. It was on the suggested list, and I knew I remembered seeing a recipe in veganomicon or one of isa's books. I'm a huge fan of breakfast potatoes and hashbrowns, so I thought, no problem!

Well, now that I've looked into it I realized that hash seems to be a special variety of breakfast potatoes that contain meat/protein (and are usually topped with eggs). I did not know this!! I guess I never ate it before.

I'm hesitant to bring something to an omni potluck with soy crumbles or tempeh, etc. Some of the folks are somewhat vegan friendly, but I think a lot of them might think it is weird. We're talking like 25 people at least.

On the other hand, apparently no one has signed up to bring any meats - an email just went out saying it was still missing yesterday. So maybe it might go over surprisingly well if I made something with the mini field roast maple sausages, or even the apple sage ones, or maybe beyond meat crumbles. (nothing soy)

The problem is I can't find the perfect recipe online. I saw a few that suggested kale, white beans, butternut squash and apple sage sausages might be great. But I don't want to do something untested for a potluck!!

I also thought maybe something southwestern, with peppers, black and or black eyed peas. Most of those recipes call for avocado on top, which won't due for a potluck because it will get brown.

I also considered waffle-maker hashbrowns...but then, those might not be crispy reheated in the microwave. Whatever it is I have to be able to make it the night before and reheat it. At this point I would do anything breakfast potato related.

So does anyone out there have a great has recipe that might work?

Post subject: Re: Brunch Potluck Potato Hash Help!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Well, if it makes you feel better I think of "hash" as just being small diced potatoes, that CAN have stuff in it but doesn't need to. I feel like plenty of dinery places do sides of potato hash that are just potato, small diced onion, maybe green pepper, and like...salted. Maybe paprika. I would go with something like that if you really think people will be put off by something fake meaty, but I also think those field roast breakfast sausages are delicious, and I think if people didn't Know they were eating some weird vegan thing, they wouldn't think twice about it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think those field roast breakfast sausages will go over really well with omnis, esp if you don't mention it. Cut up small in hash they won't even know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vegan brunch has a really delicious Brussels sprout hash.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:08 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Isa Does It has a chipotle sausage hash that is my guideline for all my hash needs. With miso/tahini dressing. Nom.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:59 am 

electric_claire, i think i'm going with what you said. which i believe is actually potatoes o brien, but whatever! i'm going to roast them in the oven so I can get a lot done at one time. i'm so lazy! lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:30 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Roasting a big pile of cubed potatoes is the way to go for sure. I doubt whoever made that list was thinking that an appropriate dish to make the night before, bring to work and microwave is a potato, meat combo with an egg on top. That sounds revolting and a recipe for food poisoning. And I liked eggs pregan. Everyone will be thrilled with a bunch of roasted potatoes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:28 pm 
Taco Scientist

Moon wrote:
Isa Does It has a chipotle sausage hash that is my guideline for all my hash needs. With miso/tahini dressing. Nom.

Yeah! This one knocked my socks off! It's incredible.

I also like the red flannel hash in vegan brunch if your super wary of vegan meat and it's really easy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:07 pm 

omg can't even believe it, i managed to mess up roasted potatoes.
just set off my fire alarm in the house. (from smoke)
next year, i'm signing up for coffee!!!!!
X(*^#%*X?!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:19 pm 

well, to follow up everyone liked the potatoes. they just weren't quite up to my standards.

i think the problem for me with potlucks is scaling up. All of my pots and pans are only sized for 4, so when I make a huge recipe for more people things don't cook the same. i'm definitely keeping this in mind as a lesson learned for future potlucks!