| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seitan Texture
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the chickpea nuggets from Vegan Without Borders - a very good seitan recipe btw - and experimented a little with them in an attempt to achieve a more flaky "meaty" texture that commercial seitan often has, and so I thought I'd share. Maybe this is something everyone already does and I just didn't know about it...

The recipe calls for you to stretch/roll the dough out into a long sausage and cut off 1 inch pieces. While doing that, I was shaping them into irregular nuggets and flattening them out a bit and the consistency of the dough was perfect - elastic without being rubbery, firm without being dry - and I decided to try kind of veneering the dough a bit by stretching each nugget piece out until it was so thin it broke, then overlaying the two bits, stretching again, repeating a few times, then lightly shaping into a nugget without totally smooshing out all the layers, but making sure it wasn't too loose. Then I gently poached them as the recipe called for. Then I coated them in seasoned flour and sauteed in a little olive oil. The result was a texture really close to the Redwood chicken pieces I love so much - rather than being a solid chewy lump, you could easily pull them apart, and they were very moist and tender. Really good sliced up cold on salads too. I'm pretty sure any seitan recipe that's not too rubbery or too wet would work just as well as the VWB recipe I used - such as the white seitan in Viva Vegan.

Sorry I didn't take any pics - they didn't last that long!

Post subject: Re: Seitan Texture
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I wonder if you could do this the way you make puff pastry - roll out the seitan dough into a thin sheet, fold over itself, roll again, fold over , roll again, etc.? Then cut into chunks. Seems like it'd be less effort.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

They were actually quite quick to do! My thoughts are that by stretching and breaking the dough you're going to get more random uneven strands than if you roll and layer, so the texture might be a bit more natural and flaky, but I'd like to give your method a try too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This sounds like a very interesting technique -- I'm going to try it (and the chickpea nuggets recipe from Vegan without Borders).

If I can make your technique work, I wonder if I could feed this through a pasta machine and lightly compress the strands? Gotta look for my old pasta roller.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I would love to trythis, because I would love to recreate the effect at home too! Thanks for sharing!

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We have an excess of vital wheat gluten so I will have to test this method out! Thanks for sharing.